How the 2005 Draft should be handled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
Gwyddbwyll said:
Obviously you've paid very little attention to the rest of the NHL outside your world. Otherwise you'd know what you just said is complete bollox. You can keep homegrown players but you cant force them to play.

I dont hate the big spenders. All they did was exploit their advantages - nature of human existance. But if you're going to have a competition, then have a real one. Either have a tiny league of 6 teams or figure out a better way for 30 teams to compete.

if you can't even sign your own players to new contracts those teams shouldn't be in the league

leafaholix*

Cosis said:
30 teams is far too many?
For the record, 18 teams I believe it was, lost money last year. I guess your ok with a 12 team league though. Thankfully most fans and the league do not feel that way.
I'm sure many of those 18 teams lost $ because there are too many teams in this league.

With so many options available, UFA costs go up.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
Splatman Phanutier said:
Its always about the Leafs, isn't it?

I was about to say take last years regular season standings and lottery the position orders. That is, Pittsburg, Washington ect have more balls in the lottery then Wings, Avs, Sens ect all top teams. Thats what the draft is about, right? Trying to create equality between the 30 teams and giving the worst teams a fair shot?

well like the first guy said it was the leafs wings etc fault b/c of this.. i just want to know what the leafs did wrong.. and you want to be fair? how about having owners that want to be competive and spend some money for players, its not the big boys fault that they want to have a good team and try and win

Cosis

Kardi said:
if you can't even sign your own players to new contracts those teams shouldn't be in the league

Nothing quite like the fan of a big market club. They always seem to think its their god given right to screw the market up for everyone else.

Hey, when was the last time the Leafs won a Cup with their overpaid free agency wrought cash bought team anyhow? Not only cant the leafs draft but they cant even build a team right with money! Ha. :joker:

leafaholix*

Taupy said:
We should make the draft with last year attendance average.
That's as logical as the video game simulation idea and the averaging out proposal.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
Cosis said:
Nothing quite like the fan of a big market club. They always seem to think its their god given right to screw the market up for everyone else.

Hey, when was the last time the Leafs won a Cup with their overpaid free agency wrought cash bought team anyhow? Not only cant the leafs draft but they cant even build a team right with money! Ha. :joker:

yup, since we haven't won since 1967 we should get the first pick and draft crosby so we can win the cup.. its only fair don't you think :lol

leafaholix*

Kardi said:
yup, since we haven't won since 1967 we should get the first pick and draft crosby so we can win the cup.. its only fair don't you think :lol
:teach:

JonathanWashington

Hockey in Cairo
Dec 26, 2004
Manhattan
I wonder if anyone knows what other leagues have made of a no season draft. This game needs to improve beyond helping people find the puck.

You are crazy if you think top ten teams should be able to get a top ten pick. Say all you want about small and big market, im fairly confident in mine.

However the only issue i have had with the nhl is represantation. (not just the refs) Those teams that travel with out a "superstar".

These are the teams that need a low round pick. I guess everyone has teams they don't mind playing aganist.

if you haven't made the playoffs.. in 4 years.. you should get a top 10 pick.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
impressingagent said:
I wonder if anyone knows what other leagues have made of a no season draft. This game needs to improve beyond helping people find the puck.

You are crazy if you think top ten teams should be able to get a top ten pick. Say all you want about small and big market, im fairly confident in mine.

However the only issue i have had with the nhl is represantation. (not just the refs) Those teams that travel with out a "superstar".

These are the teams that need a low round pick. I guess everyone has teams they don't mind playing aganist.

No CBA, no draft

Easy as that

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
impressingagent said:

We're talking about a particular situation here. Im fine how the drafts are usually held. Its just the philosophy...why do the big teams suffer? its not their fault that their fans come and watch their game...hence they make money...and from that money they sign good players. And its definitely not their fault if there is NO season at all. IF there is no season...then i dont think the small market teams should benefit. Hell im not even saying give those picks to Big market teams. Just make it fair and have a ballot or something.

Phanuthier*

Kardi said:
well like the first guy said it was the leafs wings etc fault b/c of this.. i just want to know what the leafs did wrong.. and you want to be fair? how about having owners that want to be competive and spend some money for players, its not the big boys fault that they want to have a good team and try and win
Oh yeah, lets keep on driving up those rookie salaries. What would it be now, $12 million for a 18 year old Sidney Crosby? $15 million?

Yup, the league would be in no trouble there.

Phanuthier*

MaDdY said:
Hey Rookie, you're probably one of the few fans of a small market team crying that a salary cap should be in place so your team's sorry a** can not be kicked by Leafs or other big market WINNING teams all the time. Chill dude, your time will come. As for drafts, it clearly shows after your starting post that you DONT know what you're talking about. So stop focusing on the team's prospects because we're just fine from where we draft. Go have some milk and sleep.

Oh BTW, Welcome to Hfboards.
Well I'm one of those fans of a small market team crying about a salary cap. You know, the one which will be the sticking point between whether the Flames, Oilers, Sens ect stay in the league or not? I don't know about you, but I'd much perfer to have my Flames stay in Calgary, and for Canada to have more then 1 NHL team.

And yeah, I am pretty bitter that big markets are winning all the time. Damn those Red Wings. My Flames can never get anywhere against their overpaid bums.

Phanuthier*

MaDdY said:
We're talking about a particular situation here. Im fine how the drafts are usually held. Its just the philosophy...why do the big teams suffer? its not their fault that their fans come and watch their game...hence they make money...and from that money they sign good players. And its definitely not their fault if there is NO season at all. IF there is no season...then i dont think the small market teams should benefit. Hell im not even saying give those picks to Big market teams. Just make it fair and have a ballot or something.
Why do better teams suffer? So the NHL isn't a tier two league. By giving poorer teams (Pittsburg, Washington ect... which does NOT include the my Flames, who drafted 19th last year, so all bias is aside) a higher pick, it hopefully creates some competitivity in the league so there's something to watch.

As for big markets being successful... the Flames and Oilers draw very decent crowds, and still have trouble balancing the budget.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Who knows which team is the worst when a season isnt even played. Maybe Toronto would be a losing squad and Washington the winning squad.
Every team has a chance to be competitive. Even the low budget teams proved it...
Your Calgary did, Tampa did, Nashville did...

Phanuthier*

MaDdY said:
Who knows which team is the worst when a season isnt even played. Maybe Toronto would be a losing squad and Washington the winning squad.
Every team has a chance to be competitive. Even the low budget teams proved it...
Your Calgary did, Tampa did, Nashville did...
... thats why you take the past 3 years, taking more into account last season then the other two. To try and extrapolate each teams records to see which team is deemed the "worst" and thus needs the most help. Then throw all the teams in the lottery, so every team has a fair shot at the No 1 pick, with obvious advantage to lesser teams.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
Splatman Phanutier said:
Oh yeah, lets keep on driving up those rookie salaries. What would it be now, $12 million for a 18 year old Sidney Crosby? $15 million?

Yup, the league would be in no trouble there.

wanna show me the rule that says any of these big teams can't sign a player to the contract they want?
hell.. do you want the teams that have all the stars to bench a couple when they play small market teams? so its fair for them?
please..
if your team can't handle other teams spending and who they have on there team then just fold em now.. the owners can go buy an ahl team or something if they want to
i'm sure there small market ways would fit in well there

Phanuthier*

wanna show me the rule that says any of these big teams can't sign a player to the contract they want?
Definatly a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. Right now? There is no rule. That's why Dany Heatly made $8 million as a rookie. That's why Ilya Kovalchuk made $10 million as a rookie. Quite frankly, in the old system, it was "ok" to make an 18 year old the highest paid player in the league. Maybe you disagree, but I hope that the new NHL-NHLPA CBA fixes that. In fact, I can almost guerentee it. Out of all the things being debated (salary cap, UFA, arbitration ect) this will be the easiest for the NHL to win over - since nobody in the union is a rookie fighting for rookie contracts. It already seems that the NHLPA is more then willing to make concessions on rookie contracts (as evident in all their proposals) which cap both the rookie base salary as well as performance bonus's.

hell.. do you want the teams that have all the stars to bench a couple when they play small market teams? so its fair for them?
Huh?

if your team can't handle other teams spending and who they have on there team then just fold em now.. the owners can go buy an ahl team or something if they want to
Once again, definatly a Leafs fan. According to the Levitt report, 18 teams lost money last year. Another audit done showed that at least 10 NHL teams are guerenteed to close its doors should the CBA not be resolved in their favour. I don't know about you, but I personally think for the NHL to be a credible professional league, they should have more then 10-15 teams.

But hey, I'm talking to a Leafs fan, right? Its quite evident that you don't give a damn about other teams in the league. You guys (in general) only care about yourself, so I'm probably wasting my breath anyways.

i'm sure there small market ways would fit in well there
Well I think I speak for most NHL teams fans (Flames, Oilers ect) in that I'd rather see NHL hockey then AHL hockey. Once again, you show how many Leaf fans don't give a damn about a healthy NHL, only about your own team; a league with only a handful of competitive teams, while the rest of the teams farm NHL talent for them (which, as you just showed, is a-ok).

Not that it would change anything. We've already been a farm team for the Leafs, Wings ect ect for the past decade, right?

JonathanWashington

Hockey in Cairo
Dec 26, 2004
Manhattan
you want to show me your ufo video?
I think its crazy that fans always act out in the name of the teams best intrest.
I watch this game too and normally don't get all stiff over my team winning and loosing. You enjoy the game and dislike the cheap shots and bad calls. Say what you want about the size of your kingworld leafs fan. I enjoy having my team play with yours... and if your not going to play fair or play nice no one is gonna wanna play with you anymore.

So does the league need to be more balanced yes! just because we beat the leafs and a few other oprah icons of hockey. Doesn't mean we have had a good enough team to make the play offs. But the most annoying thing besides allmost loosing your team. Loosing some new adelphia skyscraper for downtown. Its nice seeing these new things.

just don't tell me about small market problems.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Long and short of it, you can spin any fantasy that you want, but a couple of things are fairly obvious no matter the final determination regarding the 2005 draft:

1) there will be ONE 2005 draft, not a combined one, soon after a new CBA is signed.

2) if you made the playoffs last year you will have no chance at number one, namely Crosby.

They very well may vary the system one way or another, but I would bet dimes to dollars what they choose will have those two factors above as part of the final decision.

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
Cosis said:
There is no way in hell Crosby should go to anyone but the worst teams.

As far as people saying this is some sort of bizarre bone that the Rich teams should get, well i say to that, that it is the very rich clubs which caused all this to start with. Therefore they deserve to be punished if anything. Not rewarded.

It is entirely the fault of the Leafs Wings, Rangers, Flyers.

the rangers are one of the worst teams

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Cosis said:
It is entirely the fault of the Leafs Wings, Rangers, Flyers.

so it was the leafs, wings, rangers and flyers fault that the bruins destroyed the entry level system by giving joe thornton crazy bonuses?? and it was the leafs, wings, rangers and flyers fault that carolina gave fedorov a ridiculous offer sheet?? and it was the leafs, wings, rangers and flyers fault that the league put teams in markets like carolina that can't support a team??

if you think that only a handful of teams screwed things up and everyone else is innocent victims then you really have no clue what you are talking about...some teams might be more guilty then others, but basically everyone is responsible in landing the league in this mess.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Cosis said:
30 teams is far too many?
For the record, 18 teams I believe it was, lost money last year. I guess your ok with a 12 team league though. Thankfully most fans and the league do not feel that way.

so what, 30 isn't enough? 30 is far far too much... get rid of six, get some sort of payroll structure in, and weed out the scrubs and hopefully the guys that want to flex their balls with the highest salaries can do it at 6 million rather than 14 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->