How the 2005 Draft should be handled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosis

I believe that the last 3 years standings should be averaged out.

Take the averaged worst 10 teams and put in a weighted lottery as normal. IE a team can only move up 4 spots at best. That means the leagues worst 5 teams for the last 3 years would have the only shot at Crosby. That is by far the fairest measure for what has been the leagues worst teams for the last 3 years. Run the lottery through all ten picks to establish the first ten picks.

Then take the rest and put them in their averaged ranked spot. Hold a weighted lottery where a team can move up 7 spots. Hold a lottery to determine remaining order. Or not even bother with a lottery for the last 20 teams and just leave them in their averaged spot.

In no way shape or form should every team have a fair chance at Crosby. Thats the dumbest suggestion I have ever heard.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Why?

If the season is cancelled what did the upper-level teams ( Leafs, Wings, Flyers...)
do wrong. Its not their fault the season is cancelled. Why are we taking the worst teams, they've been getting top picks for the last three-four years and u want them to keep getting high picks so they can screw the upper teams when the season starts. What if the cap is places? Then it wont be fair right. Hence i disagree. If there is no season, no team should be compensated, every team should get a fair chance of getting a high pick.

leafaholix*

I stopped reading after the first sentence.

There's no chance in hell you average out anything for the 2005 picks.

Cosis

Carl O'Steen said:
I stopped reading after the first sentence.

There's no chance in hell you average out anything for the 2005 picks.

If the season is cancelled what did the upper-level teams ( Leafs, Wings, Flyers...)
do wrong. Its not their fault the season is cancelled

There is no way in hell Crosby should go to anyone but the worst teams.

As far as people saying this is some sort of bizarre bone that the Rich teams should get, well i say to that, that it is the very rich clubs which caused all this to start with. Therefore they deserve to be punished if anything. Not rewarded.

It is entirely the fault of the Leafs Wings, Rangers, Flyers.

leafaholix*

Cosis said:
There is no way in hell Crosby should go to anyone but the worst teams.

As far as people saying this is some sort of bizarre bone that the Rich teams should get, well i say to that, that it is the very rich clubs which caused all this to start with. Therefore they deserve to be punished if anything. Not rewarded.
Averaging out the picks is garbage.

Boston's current lineup assures them a top 10 pick... but if you average out, they probably land in the 20's. See, it doesn't work.

leafaholix*

The small market teams (mostly crappy organizations) are the reason there's a lockout... now, they pay. All 30 teams get an equal chance for Sidney... :handclap:

Cosis

Carl O'Steen said:
Averaging out the picks is garbage.

Boston's current lineup assures them a top 10 pick... but if you average out, they probably land in the 20's. See, it doesn't work.

1. Boston helped cause this garbage with Lapointe. This alone should disqualify them.

2. Most teams carried few contracts past this year because of the impending CBA. You cannot sit there and put the basis of the projected standings based on that alone. They will undoubtedly throw some money at free agents. They almost have no choice even.

3. If I had my way, if the 24% rollback happens, I think certain teams should not be able to get the discount. Yashin for example. The Isles should be forced to choke on that.

Cosis

Carl O'Steen said:
The small market teams (mostly crappy organizations) are the reason there's a lockout... now, they pay. All 30 teams get an equal chance for Sidney... :handclap:

No its the handful of clubs like the Leafs and the Rangers :madfire: which is why we are in a lockout.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Wait until the next NHL season is over.

Then combine all the undrafted, encourage a lot of people to opt-in and have a 20 round mega-draft. Draft order should be determined according to recent regulations... they were fair enough.

leafaholix*

Cosis said:
1. Boston helped cause this garbage with Lapointe. This alone should disqualify them.

2. Most teams carried few contracts past this year because of the impending CBA. You cannot sit there and put the basis of the projected standings based on that alone. They will undoubtedly throw some money at free agents. They almost have no choice even.

3. If I had my way, if the 24% rollback happens, I think certain teams should not be able to get the discount. Yashin for example. The Isles should be forced to choke on that.
Boston shouldn't have to pay for something that happened 3 years ago.

That's balogne, I'd like to know what's your favourite team... ?

leafaholix*

Cosis said:
No its the handful of clubs like the Leafs and the Rangers which is why we are in a lockout.
The reason there's a lockout is because a bunch of ****** little markets that don't deserve teams were brought in by a little doink named Bettman.

There's a bunch of organizations that don't deserve to exist... that's why there's a lockout.

New York, Toronto, Detroit, Colorado, etc... should spend as much as they can afford to. If you can't keep up, draft well and compete... you can keep your homegrown players until the age of 31 (atleast under the old CBA)... so stop whining.

That, or fold.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
what did the leafs do wrong, they make a profit and have a large payroll, whats wrong with that.. its the poor teams that spend **** all and make negative profits that hurt the league...

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Cosis said:

This garbage started years before Lapointe was even in the NHL...

...but yeah I agree it was a horrible signing that set the precendent for the ideaology that 3rd line grinders deserve to be paid like superstars.

leafaholix*

Kardi said:
what did the leafs do wrong, they make a profit and have a large payroll, whats wrong with that.. its the poor teams that spend **** all and make negative profits that hurt the league...
The Leafs have done nothing wrong... the leagues watered down because of these small (non hockey) markets that can't afford to sign players.

You can't punish great organizations for making $.

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
I have a great idea.... Take the rosters as they were at the beginning of the season, and simulate an entire season with a video game. Then, hold a lottery based on the standings as they are in the game....

But seriously, if they have to hold a draft without a season and use the same standings from last year, it will basically be like a combined draft of the last 2 years. I think the fairest thing to do would be to redo last year's draft, and add in this year's players as well. Of course, that would never happen, but it would give the worse teams a better selection, and there would still be plenty of skill left for the better teams.

This scenario isn't possible, in my opinion, although every team would be able to improve their picks because of it. The fact is, there is no easy solution to this problem. The easiest one would be to move the draft age back up a year, and just skip this year's draft, but that's basically the same thing as my scenario without changing the draft age.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
Carl O'Steen said:
The reason there's a lockout is because a bunch of ****** little markets that don't deserve teams were brought in by a little doink named Bettman.

There's a bunch of organizations that don't deserve to exist... that's why there's a lockout.

New York, Toronto, Detroit, Colorado, etc... should spend as much as they can afford to. If you can't keep up, draft well and compete... you can keep your homegrown players until the age of 31 (atleast under the old CBA)... so stop whining.

That, or fold.

agreed, don't hate on the spenders in the nhl.. hate the people that buy teams and do nothing to improve them and then ***** that they don't have money to sign players.. but they did have money to buy a team.. and have these teams in citys that don't even know what hockey is..

if i had my way the top 10 teams that lost money in the nhl from the last 5 years get folded (minus NJ and any canadian teams)

Cosis

Carl O'Steen said:
Boston shouldn't have to pay for something that happened 3 years ago.

That's balogne, I'd like to know what's your favourite team... ?

Of course they should have to pay. Why shouldnt they?

My favorite team has nothing to do with my reasoning. I base my reasoning on logic and fairness.

leafaholix*

Cosis said:
Of course they should have to pay. Why shouldnt they?

My favorite team has nothing to do with my reasoning. I base my reasoning on logic and fairness.
Why should they pay?

How is the 2005 draft related to signing Martin Lapointe in 2001? Yes, it was a horrendous signing that affected the market, but it's already hurt the Broonz plenty.

The reason the NHL's in such bad shape is because of teams that do not deserve NHL clubs. I don't care if there's a decent fan base on this website or not, but there are organizations that should never have been added, or should have been contracted long ago.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Carl O'Steen said:
New York, Toronto, Detroit, Colorado, etc... should spend as much as they can afford to. If you can't keep up, draft well and compete... you can keep your homegrown players until the age of 31 (atleast under the old CBA)...

Obviously you've paid very little attention to the rest of the NHL outside your world. Otherwise you'd know what you just said is complete bollox. You can keep homegrown players but you cant force them to play.

I dont hate the big spenders. All they did was exploit their advantages - nature of human existance. But if you're going to have a competition, then have a real one. Either have a tiny league of 6 teams or figure out a better way for 30 teams to compete.

leafaholix*

Gwyddbwyll said:
Obviously you've paid very little attention to the rest of the NHL outside your world. Otherwise you'd know what you just said is complete bollox. You can keep homegrown players but you cant force them to play.

I dont hate the big spenders. All they did was exploit their advantages - nature of human existance. But if you're going to have a competition, then have a real one. Either have a tiny league of 6 teams or figure out a better way for 30 teams to compete.
My point is that 30 teams is far too many.

You can't keep your homegrown players... that's too bad. Your owner is a billionaire, yet the NHL club is going down the tubes. Too many careless owners... people that haven't a clue what the hell this game is.

T2M

Jan 28, 2004
I have an even better idea:

Let's all agree that, by and large, drafting 17 and 18-year olds is detrimental to long term development. Sure, Sidney can play in the NHL as an 18 year old, but most guys can't. Why not agree to push the draft age back a year, start playing September, and next summer draft away at the newly crowned class of 2006. Every prospect suffers the same, there is no need to try to average things out so that your team might move up and get Crosby. If you're going to get him that team had better stink up the NHL for a season AND still win the lottery. That seems fair to me and it helps every team in the NHL get on the right track in terms of prospect development.

My .02 T2M

Phanuthier*

Kardi said:
Its always about the Leafs, isn't it?

I was about to say take last years regular season standings and lottery the position orders. That is, Pittsburg, Washington ect have more balls in the lottery then Wings, Avs, Sens ect all top teams. Thats what the draft is about, right? Trying to create equality between the 30 teams and giving the worst teams a fair shot?

But reading the initial thread creator's proposal... I think that warrents some merit. I'd say use some complicated formula to average out the past 3 years, only putting (eg) 70% of the stock into last years standings, 25% into the year before that and 5% to the 3rd last season.

Cosis

Carl O'Steen said:
My point is that 30 teams is far too many.

You can't keep your homegrown players... that's too bad. Your owner is a billionaire, yet the NHL club is going down the tubes. Too many careless owners... people that haven't a clue what the hell this game is.

30 teams is far too many?
For the record, 18 teams I believe it was, lost money last year. I guess your ok with a 12 team league though. Thankfully most fans and the league do not feel that way.

Phanuthier*

the_gman83 said:
I have a great idea.... Take the rosters as they were at the beginning of the season, and simulate an entire season with a video game. Then, hold a lottery based on the standings as they are in the game....
Not sure if you were serious or not, but if you were... poor Rangers. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->