How should we be judging goaltenders?

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Or weak defensive teams or teams who limit shots from high value areas, so pretty much the entire spectrum of all teams.

Actually, all teams will allow roughly the same number of shot attempts from the high danger areas from the ice which is about 10 to 13 HD chances per 60 minutes.

Good defense is about preventing quantity and not quality.
Good defense is about preventing low danger and perimeter shots.

NHL goalies better vs high shot volumes - Sportsnet.ca

"Visually we can see where a lot of the extra shots originate from.

The slot volume on the smaller workload is higher. The home plate area is the definition for most scoring-chance projects, so the lighter workload exposes goalies to a higher percentage of scoring chances. Without the save-percentage inflators provided by shots from above the faceoff circles (which have an expected save percentage of .974) it becomes difficult to register anything over .900 when facing lighter than a 20-shot workload."

Last edited:

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
save%.

wins is a pretty horrible way to judge goalies, like they would be the only player playing the game.

If you are that guy saying, oh well wins indicate importent saves? Well are not all saves importent? If you want to focus on the last minut of the game when everything is on the line kind of saves, well we can have save% stat of the last 2 minut of the games or something like then, instead of focusing on wins, which should not be on one players shoulders.

I know all saves is not the same, if you only have to take easy shoots then it makes your save% more impressing than it really is and vice versa. You could have a stat over advanced saves, but what is advanced saves, that becomes very arbitrarily.

No stats is perfect, but save% is by far the most telling stats when it comes to goalies, win or GAA do not come close. Then you can have different kind of save% to break it down, like last 2 minut save% etc, players on the rush save%, you can have all kinds of save%.

SV% is equally as team affected as GAA.

Good defensive teams that are good at shot suppression will deflate a goalie's SV%.
Bad defensive teams typically are bad at shot suppression, and allow a lot of perimeter shots which inflates SV%.

Good defense is measured by shot QUANTITY and not QUALITY. All teams will allow roughly the same number of shot attempts or chances from the high danger areas of the ice which is between 10 and 13 HD chances per 60 minutes. It's about how good a team prevents perimeter shots and low danger shots that separates good defense from bad defense.

It explains why every goalie since the 80's to present day will all have a higher cumulative SV% in their higher shot volume games than they do in their lower shot volume games.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
We should be judging goalies -entirely- by the style shown in their pads and mask, and the suitability of their jersey number for their position.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
SV% is equally as team affected as GAA.

Good defensive teams that are good at shot suppression will deflate a goalie's SV%.
Bad defensive teams typically are bad at shot suppression, and allow a lot of perimeter shots which inflates SV%.

Good defense is measured by shot QUANTITY and not QUALITY. All teams will allow roughly the same number of shot attempts or chances from the high danger areas of the ice which is between 10 and 13 HD chances per 60 minutes. It's about how good a team prevents perimeter shots and low danger shots that separates good defense from bad defense.

It explains why every goalie since the 80's to present day will all have a higher cumulative SV% in their higher shot volume games than they do in their lower shot volume games.

As I said, save% is not perfect, but it is by far the best one. Because it at least say something. GAA and wins is not telling anything at all about the goalie, at least save% say something. GAA and wins is teams stats.

Plus as I said, you can break down save% in different save% stats to get a better picture of it. Like breakaways save%, last 2 minut save% etc.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
As I said, save% is not perfect, but it is by far the best one. Because it at least say something. GAA and wins is not telling anything at all about the goalie, at least save% say something. GAA and wins is teams stats.

Plus as I said, you can break down save% in different save% stats to get a better picture of it. Like breakaways save%, last 2 minut save% etc.

SV% is equally as team affected as GAA. SV% is also NOT a good metric to measure a goalie's ability to make saves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad