How popular are football (soccer) players in USA?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I also tend to think most fans are ones who will watch their local team but have no interest in watching a random match on ESPN/FS1 not involving their team. That's the case with me at least, I will watch NYRB but I haven't watched one full match of MLS since that Minnesota snow game earlier this season, there is simply no incentive

Too many games for a league where half the teams make the playoffs

Sometimes I can't even sit through an Orlando game. The talent in the league is just not there and the games can be brutal to watch. Orlando hasn't played a good game since the first month of the year. Kaka is a big name but that's all, the guy plays with no passion and is just collecting a fat check.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
That's probably true, but I feel like Cristiano Ronaldo would get recognized in pretty much any city in North America. His image is way more present in advertising than Messi's is.

Eh, possibly slightly so, but I bet there's a lot of people that if you said the name Ronaldo they'd maybe at best remember fat Ronaldo

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Eh, possibly slightly so, but I bet there's a lot of people that if you said the name Ronaldo they'd maybe at best remember fat Ronaldo

I doubt that, Ronaldo has been marketed more than the previous version, and is much more recognizable. Besides serious fans, I don't think many would even think of fat Ronaldo, they are going to think of the model Ronaldo.

Kind of like how the average person in the States would think of Beckham first when he was in his prime.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Ronaldo is culturally visible with those who follow celebrities. So as it relates to him being recognized; he would be fairly well recognized in most major cities.

Not near the David Beckham level of recognition, granted.

Messi would be recognized by many people also. This is due largely to internet and Fox Sports. No sport has benefited from the internet like soccer has in The USA.

Cleveland has very strong grass roots with soccer, and Messi would be recognized there. Well certainly in the surrounding suburbs he would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->