Not open for further replies.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
jiggs 10 said:
outdoor ice utterly RUINS your edges!

I've noticed that, but why is it? I've been skating outdoors all winter long, and I have to sharpen them every 4-6 hours. Any longer than that and I'm tumbling head over heels every time I try to make a turn. Is it that there's more grit and stuff on the ouutdoor rinks?

Anyway, I love the feel of freshly sharpened skates. You have so much more control! I feel like a human F-16, twisting and turning all over the ice.

:banana:

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Wild Thing said:
I've noticed that, but why is it? I've been skating outdoors all winter long, and I have to sharpen them every 4-6 hours. Any longer than that and I'm tumbling head over heels every time I try to make a turn. Is it that there's more grit and stuff on the ouutdoor rinks?

Anyway, I love the feel of freshly sharpened skates. You have so much more control! I feel like a human F-16, twisting and turning all over the ice.

:banana:
Outdoor ice has a lot more particles and crap in it that grind away your edges pretty quick. It would probably be different on a man made out door rink but on a pond, forget it. I keep a back up pair of skates specifically for pond hockey.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Yeah, me too. I have an old pair of skates just for outdoor hockey.

I think it has to do with all the sand, snow, etc. mixed into the ice outdoors, plus the grass and dirt that come up when the ice is first being made. Whatever, it sure dulls the blades fast! But I love skating on the slower outdoor ice, because you can pull off some pretty incredible Savardian moves there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad