Salary Cap: How Much Do The RFAs Get?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah but RFA years are always cheaper than UFA years. Like always.

Not always.

RFA years for TOP2 picks who will succeed from the start during ELC seems to be biggest money thrown away, more than any UFA has ever got.

But for sure, RFA years vs. UFA years for mid-tier players are cheaper, usually like 15-20%.

Larkin is not that "super elite high top pick" -category, so he will be cheap on RFA years and big money contract could happen after the next contract if he will develop more and the contract will end on his prime.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not always.

RFA years for TOP2 picks who will succeed from the start during ELC seems to be biggest money thrown away, more than any UFA has ever got.

But for sure, RFA years vs. UFA years for mid-tier players are cheaper, usually like 15-20%.

Larkin is not that "super elite high top pick" -category, so he will be cheap on RFA years and big money contract could happen after the next contract if he will develop more and the contract will end on his prime.

It sounds like you are just singling out McDavid. You don’t think a bidding war for McDavid would make his caphit even higher? Of course it would.

It’s simple supply and demand, guys. Economics 101. When you are negotiating with only 1 team things will be more cost-controlled. It’s literally why RFA exists.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It sounds like you are just singling out McDavid. You don’t think a bidding war for McDavid would make his caphit even higher? Of course it would.

It’s simple supply and demand, guys. Economics 101. When you are negotiating with only 1 team things will be more cost-controlled. It’s literally why RFA exists.

Eichel got 10M, and people are speculating 11M for Matthews. Laine also will go on double figures. This is a future trend.

They get paid more after ELC than league in-prime superstars.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Eichel got 10M, and people are speculating 11M for Matthews. Laine also will go on double figures. This is a future trend.

Let me clarify my point, because I think you guys are talking about something different.

When talking about the same player RFA years are always cheaper than UFA years.

So maybe RFA’s now are getting more than UFA’s 5-10 years ago, but it’s still going to be cheaper than if you were negotiating with those same guys as UFA’s.

Does that make sense?

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Let me clarify my point, because I think you guys are talking about something different.

So maybe RFA’s now are getting more than UFA’s 5-10 years ago, but it’s still going to be cheaper than if you were negotiating with those same guys as UFA’s.

Does that make sense?

No, because the elite players will get paid just as much as if they were UFA. McDavid took a discount (everyone was expecting $14M a season but he took less), Eichel got paid his value, Matthews will get paid his value. Elite young talent get their pay

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Does that make sense?

Makes sense to me. At least for those who haven't skipped every RFA year with their post-ELC contract

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No, because the elite players will get paid just as much as if they were UFA. McDavid took a discount (everyone was expecting $14M a season but he took less), Eichel got paid his value, Matthews will get paid his value. Elite young talent get their pay

If you don’t think those same guys get more with the whole league bidding for their services, then we will just disagree I guess. You’re not getting a discount with the RFA years lke in most other cases, but I don’t see how UFA wouldn’t be even more for elite players when half the league is constantly desperate for elite talent.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Kinda hard to get payed value when only one team gets to play the game. You think Montreal wouldn't back the brinks truck up if they had the chance to?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I would go short term on all our players. 2-3 year deals for everyone.

Why?

Well does anyone think any of these players will be worth 7 Million at 27-28 years old?
I don't.

So what are we saving with longer deals?

AA and Mantha to me are 2 yr-3yr deals max.
Frk and Bertuzzi same deal.

I am fine paying Larkin more in 3-4 years IF he is worth it. If he isnt worth it... i dont want him to regress next year after signing for 6 years... screw that. 3-4yr max for Larkin.

Also im thinking much lower cap hits here:

Larkin 3yrs - 4.25-4.45 M
Mantha 3yrs - 3-3.4 M
AA 2 yrs - 2.75 M
Bertuzzi 2 yrs - 1.1 M
Frk 1 yr - 0.85 M

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

The Eichel contract was ridiculous, the kid hasnt really done much at the NHL level but was paid like he's the elite of the elite.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The Eichel contract was ridiculous, the kid hasnt really done much at the NHL level but was paid like he's the elite of the elite.
Near PPG player the last 2 years on one of the worst teams in the league is something. Although I'd agree at the time of the contract he was paid for "what-if" not "what-is"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->