How much did the sanctions hurt the Spitfires?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Nice article, but the Spits were able to acquire world class player Jeremy Bracco without giving up anything of any consequence off their roster, and really, no draft picks of any consequence (2nd rounders a generation away don't qualify as huge acquisitions).

Had there not been sanctions, it's hard to believe the Spits would have been able to complete the Bracco deal without including the player they'd have selected in the 1st round in the 2016 OHL draft.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Nice article, but the Spits were able to acquire world class player Jeremy Bracco without giving up anything of any consequence off their roster, and really, no draft picks of any consequence (2nd rounders a generation away don't qualify as huge acquisitions).

Had there not been sanctions, it's hard to believe the Spits would have been able to complete the Bracco deal without including the player they'd have selected in the 1st round in the 2016 OHL draft.

Thanks, ES. I probably should have squeezed a mention of the Bracco trade in there somewhere, because you're absolutely right. Realistically, Rychel might have moved more tangible assets in the Bracco trade rather than adding a Foegele type. But he also could have grabbed a Cirelli/Stephens and another piece and left the Rangers holding the bag to the point where they were stuck with the 2020s 2nds pu pu platter anyway.

Maybe we can convince ESPN to run a 30 for 30 piece on the Bracco trade fiteen years down the road if they still exist, haha.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Thanks, ES. I probably should have squeezed a mention of the Bracco trade in there somewhere, because you're absolutely right. Realistically, Rychel might have moved more tangible assets in the Bracco trade rather than adding a Foegele type. But he also could have grabbed a Cirelli/Stephens and another piece and left the Rangers holding the bag to the point where they were stuck with the 2020s 2nds pu pu platter anyway.

Maybe we can convince ESPN to run a 30 for 30 piece on the Bracco trade fiteen years down the road if they still exist, haha.

Isn't it pretty much common knowledge that Bracco only wanted to go to Windsor thus handcuffing Kitchener anyway?

What if Rychel's kid said he only wanted to go to Erie instead of Guelph, how would that have turned out?

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
What does the next few years hold with so few draft picks?

It's going to be pretty lean, Tc. There's been a lot of scuttlebutt about the Spitfires moving Logan Stanley to Kitchener in the offseason to kick-start the rebuild, so we'll see if that happens. Might be a good topic for another article, actually.

Isn't it pretty much common knowledge that Bracco only wanted to go to Windsor thus handcuffing Kitchener anyway?

There are a fair number of Kitchener fans who see the saga as having played out a bit differently. Basically, the argument is that Bracco was willing to go to a few other teams (Erie, London?) but the Rangers waited too long to deal Bracco, so that his other suitors had already made their moves. I think this is definitely plausible, and that we'll never really know one way or another. But if it's true, I don't think it's necessarily incompatible with the idea of Rychel adding additional pieces with the sanctioned assets (in this alternative, no-sanctions reality) and then scooping Bracco with the leftovers by taking advantage of the Rangers' gaffe.

I tend to agree with you, though, that Windsor was really the only suitor all along. I said back in December that I thought the Rangers' return for Bracco would be disappointing, and during the trade aftermath I talked about how London was probably never really an option.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I'm pretty confident there is a Part B to the Bracco deal that will happen this off-season.

Mar 12, 2009
I'm pretty confident there is a Part B to the Bracco deal that will happen this off-season.

Ya, those rumors have been going around and it's made most ease off complaining and damning the trade, but until that happens, at least a few will continue to bemoan it for the foreseeable future I'd wager.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016

If so, it'll have to slip past the league. This may be why Stanley is the target, actually. If the league squawks, the Spitfires and Rangers can claim Stanley would only accept a trade to Kitchener because he's a Waterloo native. The injury history might be a mitigating factor as well.

Kitchener has four seconds over the next two years. Could they move two of them for Stanley and claim a player-bias and injury-history discount? Maybe. A lot depends on how serious Branch is about the "Kadri rule" against two-part trades. My guess is that the league doesn't care that much. Branch has done little to slow down the evolution of OHL superteams and surely wants the OHL's Memorial Cup representatives as competitive in the tournament as possible.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
If so, it'll have to slip past the league. This may be why Stanley is the target, actually. If the league squawks, the Spitfires and Rangers can claim Stanley would only accept a trade to Kitchener because he's a Waterloo native. The injury history might be a mitigating factor as well.

Kitchener has four seconds over the next two years. Could they move two of them for Stanley and claim a player-bias and injury-history discount? Maybe. A lot depends on how serious Branch is about the "Kadri rule" against two-part trades. My guess is that the league doesn't care that much. Branch has done little to slow down the evolution of OHL superteams and surely wants the OHL's Memorial Cup representatives as competitive in the tournament as possible.

IF...big IF there is a second deal, the league can't really do anything about it unless the original pieces being moved were attempted to be moved back (the same draft picks or players) which is not allowed or if it really looks like a lopsided deal where you can see there were "handshake deals". IF there is a deal I would look for it to be just under market value favoring the Rangers.

As for Windsor, they can re-coup if they tear it all down to the bone in the next 2 years. If not, it will be a long road unless a lot of the flier picks report.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad