How many teams can the NHL support in total?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
What if we add Seattle, Quebec, Houston, Portland, and Hamilton. Then we go 2 conferences each with 3 divisions of 6 teams.

Northwest - VAN, EDM, CGY, Seattle, Portland, WPG

Central - MIN, CHI, DAL, Houston, NSH, STL

Southwest - LA, ANA, SJ, LV, ARI, COL

Northeast - TOR, OTT, Hamilton, Quebec, BUF, MON

Metropolitan - BOS, NYI, NYR, PHI, NJ, PIT

Southeast - WSH, CBJ, DET, TB, FLA, CAR

Last edited:

Charlestown Chiefs

Jan 28, 2015
26 Teams and they should be:

Toronto(2)
Montreal(2)
New York(2)
(I would fuse the Isles and Devils and build them a state of the Art arena on Long Island)
Boston
Chicago
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
St. Louis
Minnesota
Ottawa
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Quebec
Hamilton
Saskatoon
Vancouver
Los Angeles
San Jose
Anaheim
Columbus
Kansas city

Okay, I know the Wings are struggling at present... but in this scenario they're not even in the League anymore???

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Ah crap, sorry about that, I completely forgot about Detroit! :D

Replace KC by them.
You mean Saskatoon gets to keep it's team you also forgot Halifax and Regina and another team for Vancouver . Like it or not Dallas, Nashville, Carolina, Tampa all are stable and aren't going anywhere. Florida and Arizona hav work to do but given stable ownership they should be safe also.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
The goal post moves every few years. I used to think 30 was pushing it. Might as well make it 100 at this point. If anything they should contract.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, I'm still of the opinion that having a pro-contraction opinion when your team's not on the table is about as noteworthy as having an opinion about what someone else should do with their money. Okay, that's nice and all, but whatever.

Plus, for all the talk about the dead puck era we're in, you'd think that most fans would want the talent pool watered down with more teams. The explosion in offense in the 80s and 90s occurred when there were huge increases in the number of teams and roster spaces available, with supposed scrubs finding their way in and superstars having their way with them and scoring with ease. Then again, that was before defense was invented, so likely correlation not causation factor there, too.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Note how he left Anaheim and added Kansas City then deleted much stronger markets like Nashville, Dallas, Tampa, and Carolina.

Also Saskatoon :biglaugh:

putting a team in Saskatoon or Halifax would be akin to the NFL putting a team in Fargo. I wish people would just stop these fantasies....

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
You mean Saskatoon gets to keep it's team you also forgot Halifax and Regina and another team for Vancouver . Like it or not Dallas, Nashville, Carolina, Tampa all are stable and aren't going anywhere. Florida and Arizona hav work to do but given stable ownership they should be safe also.

Back to the end of the the line Nashville! :laugh:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Back to the end of the the line Nashville! :laugh:
Whatever!! Fact the team is not moving and contraction is NOT on the table so there is no "end of the line" to get in. Player rave about playing here and the team is making money so your fantasy is just that pure fantasy.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I think a symptom of how watered down the game has become is the difficulty teams have just finding a good backup goalie. Top pairing D are almost impossible to find. Chances are that a team picking in the latter part of the first round will get a player who never plays in the NHL. The bottom half of most teams are filled with scrubs that would be playing in the minors if the league was healthy. Let a few of the weak teams die instead of propping them up with successful market money.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I’m sure the thread bumper intended well. But this thread was dormant for two months, and the following replies demonstrate the thread had already run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad