How Many Prospects Do The Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
For sake of argument, if, though I feel not likely, Richards and Carter were given UFA status, who would offer them more then the Flyers?

Are we certain that the Flyers gave no offer whatsoever to these guys either? Did they offer a the bare minimum perhaps in order to retain compensation rights?

Pappy

Dec 14, 2004
I would think that anyone drafted last June would be under the old CBA which ended in Sept. ?????????????

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As a concerned Flyers fan I had written to Bob McKenzie, regarding the very issue of Carter & Richards draft status:

his response via PM:

If the lockout passes June 5, in theory, Carter and Richards would go back into the next draft, whenever that it is. But like the contract issue we stared talking about, nothing is ever black and white. Carter and Richards, and unsigned players like them, will be the subject of negotiations. The NHL is not going to hang the Flyers or any team that opted not to sign draft picks out to dry...the way the NHL sees it, the Flyers did the right thing by not signing or even negotiating with Carter and Richards..the league wishes more teams woujld have done that and the league wasn't too happy on lockout eve when Anaheim signed Perry and Getzlaf, Calgary signed Phaneuf and Florida signed Perry....so technically, the answer to your question is, no one is sure what will happen...but the sense seems to be the league won't allow teams like the Flyers to lose ace prospects over lockout technicalities and there will be some mechanism introduced to give the Flyers another crack at these guys and with those guys feeling the pressure of possibly being re-drafted into a system that is going to screw entry level players...hope that makes some sense to you.

Bob

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Flukeshot said:
For sake of argument, if, though I feel not likely, Richards and Carter were given UFA status, who would offer them more then the Flyers?

Im sure the Leafs would cough up quite a bit, we have no potential high scorer in the system (excluding Wellwood). And some of us leaf fans have repeatedly said "i will cream my pants if we get those two". Also alot of our players will become UFAs if contracts don't roll over.

Wetcoaster

Pappy said:
Have at the WJHC, it seems like every team has some, Carter, Richards, are locks to play in NHL, how many others also have a chance. It looks like a long row to hoe for the Leafs if they have to play them in the playoffs for years to come.

The Rangers are number one with 7 prospects playing from 6 countries. Philly and Dallas have 6 prospects playing.

The poorest represented NHL teams in Grand Forks are Los Angeles (Lauri Tukonen, SWE), Detroit (Siarhei Kolasau, BEL), Toronto (Dimitri Vorobiev, RUS), New Jersey (Petr Vrana, CZE) and Tampa Bay (Zbynek Hrdel, CZE) who all managed to get just one prospect named.

See:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7443&mode=threaded&order=0

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
John Flyers Fan said:
As a concerned Flyers fan I had written to Bob McKenzie, regarding the very issue of Carter & Richards draft status:

his response via PM:

If the lockout passes June 5, in theory, Carter and Richards would go back into the next draft, whenever that it is. But like the contract issue we stared talking about, nothing is ever black and white. Carter and Richards, and unsigned players like them, will be the subject of negotiations. The NHL is not going to hang the Flyers or any team that opted not to sign draft picks out to dry...the way the NHL sees it, the Flyers did the right thing by not signing or even negotiating with Carter and Richards..the league wishes more teams woujld have done that and the league wasn't too happy on lockout eve when Anaheim signed Perry and Getzlaf, Calgary signed Phaneuf and Florida signed Perry....so technically, the answer to your question is, no one is sure what will happen...but the sense seems to be the league won't allow teams like the Flyers to lose ace prospects over lockout technicalities and there will be some mechanism introduced to give the Flyers another crack at these guys and with those guys feeling the pressure of possibly being re-drafted into a system that is going to screw entry level players...hope that makes some sense to you.

Bob

Did you notice that Bob said Florida signed Perry? .....that should be Anthony Stewart ...

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Did you notice that Bob said Florida signed Perry? .....that should be Anthony Stewart ...

Yes, I noticed, he also had a few typing errors that I did correct. Obviously he doesn't spellsheck, and edit his work in a PM to me, like he does for TSN.

That however has nothing to do with what he actually wrote, now if you don't believe that he PM'd me back, I can gladly forward it to you.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
John Flyers Fan said:
Yes, I noticed, he also had a few typing errors that I did correct. Obviously he doesn't spellsheck, and edit his work in a PM to me, like he does for TSN.

That however has nothing to do with what he actually wrote, now if you don't believe that he PM'd me back, I can gladly forward it to you.

No I believe you .. NO problem ..

Moral of the story is that NO ONE IS CERTAIN ..

Bob Mackenzie was also clear that is was a guess on his part and that nothing exists today that addresses this unique situation..

Pappy

Dec 14, 2004
Man our goaltenders are going to have a sunburn from the Goal light going on behind them, after watching Carter, Richards, and Ruzicka light it up. I think my Leafs better go back to the old Norris division. Or that the new CBA says the Flyers must make half of their draft picks avaliable over the last few years to their division rivals in the name of parity, obviously Bobby Clarke and his scouting staff are at another level compared to their division rivals, other than the Devils.

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
FlyersGuy69 said:
also, a guy who is not playing in the Worlds who could be a real nice NHL player is Ryan Potulny.

Unfortunately he had a late birthday, otherwise he would most likely be on Team USA. That would have been 7 players from their 2003 draft playing in this tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad