How many points will the Sting finish with?

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Nearly a quarter of the way through the season, the Sting are on pace for 127 points.

How many points do you think they'll finish with at the end of the year?

For reference:

2004-05 London Knights had 120 points (OHL record)
2008-09 Windsor Spitfires had 115 points
2013-14 Guelph Storm had 108 points
2016-17 Erie Otters had 103 points

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
They're riding an unsustainable PDO right now, it's likely they regress. That said, they are still very good and will likely look to buy, probably picking up a dman to solidify their top 4. Somewhere around 105 would be my guess.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Just to add context to EON's post, the Sting currently have a 109.01 PDO, which would be a modern OHL record by three points (over the 2004-05 Knights). Barrie is second in the league at 103.85 and London led the league last year at 103.91. Full stats are here.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
IF they shore up the D core then I could seem them between 100-110 pts. Also staying healthy would be key to those numbers becoming realistic.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Take into account that they're going to lose Kyrou for a full month with World Juniors. That'll hurt

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
83 GF, 36 GA. > +3 goal differential per game played! There isn’t a team that’s close to as good. But, 105 pts is really hard to achieve

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
do we forget that erie started 20-2-1 and 28-3-1 in 2015-16.

like EON mentioned, will be virtually impossible for them to keep up some of their stat pace. We have seen hot starts like this. Kitchener at 13-0-3 in 2015-16. We saw OS go on some amazing run during about the december point to about the end of regular season. Not sure if i added it up right but that 04-05 London team started 29-0 - 2 (2 ties). Erie had a 17-1 run last year right after the deadline.

Point is we have seen this before. Sometimes with teams that fizzled out (kitchener in 2015-16), sometimes with teams that never made the finals (erie in 2015-16 and OS in 2016-17). And sometimes with teams that won (Erie 2016-17)

But it aint london good. Sarnia is good but I dont even see their roster talent matching that London team. If they dont make necessary moves, chances are they will fizzle out like Erie/Kitchener did in 2015-16. Even OS in 2016-17 made 1 smaller move, probably cost them. Too soon to talk records though. Their start is not that uncommon. And the overall success over a 15 or 16 game stretch happens with at least one or two teams a year. Most cant recall but im sure SSM fans could remember a similar run last year or in 2013-14/2014-15. Guelph fans can comment on 2013-14. Oshawa fans on 2014-15 and so on

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017

like EON mentioned, will be virtually impossible for them to keep up some of their stat pace. We have seen hot starts like this. Kitchener at 13-0-3 in 2015-16. We saw OS go on some amazing run during about the december point to about the end of regular season. Not sure if i added it up right but that 04-05 London team started 29-0 - 2 (2 ties). Erie had a 17-1 run last year right after the deadline.

Point is we have seen this before. Sometimes with teams that fizzled out (kitchener in 2015-16), sometimes with teams that never made the finals (erie in 2015-16 and OS in 2016-17). And sometimes with teams that won (Erie 2016-17)

But it aint london good. Sarnia is good but I dont even see their roster talent matching that London team. If they dont make necessary moves, chances are they will fizzle out like Erie/Kitchener did in 2015-16. Even OS in 2016-17 made 1 smaller move, probably cost them. Too soon to talk records though. Their start is not that uncommon. And the overall success over a 15 or 16 game stretch happens with at least one or two teams a year. Most cant recall but im sure SSM fans could remember a similar run last year or in 2013-14/2014-15. Guelph fans can comment on 2013-14. Oshawa fans on 2014-15 and so on
I predict hounds will eventually catch and pass them when all is said and done but it will probably come down to the final week

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016

Thoughtful post. I do think there's a big difference between running up massive winning streaks post-deadline, when only two or three other teams are still trying to win, and beating everyone early, while almost everyone is still dreaming of the playoffs. (Sarnia hasn't played a ton of intra-conference games yet, mind you.) The Erie and Kitchener 2015-16 comparisons are instructive, though. Those teams weren't quite as dominant as this Sarnia team (+26 and +36 GD, respectively, versus +49 for Sarnia), but they provide a cautionary tale of how things can go south.

I like EON's prediction of 105 points. That's 75 points in 52 games, or .720 hockey the rest of the way--about 98 points for a full season. If you think Sarnia is a 90-point team the rest of the way, then you're looking at something like 99 points for the season. (Putting up a bazillion wins early helps--who knew??) That might be a little closer to the mark, but some of the other contenders have looked weaker than expected. I think Sarnia can scrape out the extra points needed to get to 105, especially as I expect this management team to add aggressively. Pegging Sarnia as worse than a 90-point "true talent" team seems dicey to me. It's pretty uncommon for a team that mediocre to go on a run like this, as ottersguy's list suggests. (Even the 2015-16 Rangers put up 95 points.)

Speaking of "pretty uncommon", could the Sting break the Knights' record of 120 points? I mean, if a team ever does it, they're going to have to put together a start like this. But a ton of things would have to go right. First, their ridiculous PDO would probably have to be close to their true talent level, because I don't think this team is going to suddenly morph into a possession monster like the 2009-10 Spitfires or something. Second, they'd need to add aggressively (a given, in my opinion). They'd also need to weather the loss of Kyrou and Ruzicka, as mentioned. The team looked pretty ordinary without Kyrou in the season's opening weekend, so that should scare Sting fans a bit. If I'm the Sting brass, I'd like to add ahead of the WJT, if possible. I also think the rest of the league would have to be weaker than expected, much like the league was in 2004-05, when the Attack were the league's #2 with 90 points (the pre-modern OHL, everybody!). And finally, they'd have to get a little lucky.

Envision this scenario. The Sting's possession numbers improve a bit as their shooting percentage falls, because they get more second chances and sustained pressure following the extra goals that stop going in. Their PDO settles in around 105 because hey, they're better than we all thought, the rest of the league is a little worse than we all thought, and they continue to get a little lucky. Then they add a couple big pieces (Sambrook and Raddysh?) that help their possession numbers further. They're not quite as good with Kyrou gone but mostly hold their own, particularly after the deadline when so many teams have sold off. The Hounds take care of business too and are constantly breathing down the Sting's necks, forcing them to play hard to the wire (remember, the 2004-05 Knights lost their last three games resting bodies for the playoffs; under this scenario, Sarnia wouldn't do that).

If this scenario comes to pass, it's easy to see the Sting threatening 110 or 115 points. Dial the luck up a little further and there's your 120 points. Do I think this is going to happen? No. I'd probably put the odds somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2%. But 98th percentile outcomes happen in sports relatively often (really, about one in fifty times, but there are a lot of sports).

All that said, if the Sting keep letting themselves get outshot by double digits to teams like the Petes and Hounds, they will start losing games fast.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Soo Greyhounds point total + 1 = good enough for me.

The real problem for the Sting will be losing Ruzicka+Kyrou will the Hounds might lose Timmins/Katchouk (although I expect only 1 of those 2 to make team C), but Hounds still have Gettinger/Frost/Kopacka etc for that month

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Nearly a quarter of the way through the season, the Sting are on pace for 127 points.

For reference:

The 2014-15 Greyhounds had 110 points, if you were looking to list the top recent teams.

Fazio has been unbelievable for Sarnia, but their shot differential is very troubling. I could see them struggling for a stretch it he isn't at his best. I'm going to go with 102 points.

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf

For reference:

Although not listed, the 2009/2010 Barrie Colts managed 116 pts.....they did not have to deal with players away at the WJC's as they didn't trade for Pietrangelo until after the tourney. They had some of the top OA's in the league that season and a deep team.....it's a long haul and quite the achievement for any team. So many things come into play for a club to show single digit losses on a season.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Yes, I certainly didn't mean to slight either the 2009-10 Colts or the 2014-15 Greyhounds, who were two of my favourite teams in recent years. But they didn't win championships, and I was more comfortable snubbing them than teams that did, in fact win. (And in my experience, it's the winners that are the most memorable, though I'm a big fan of both teams mentioned.) My aim was just to list a range of teams at different point values; no more, no less.

Reactions: WKBCFAN

StingDrone

Sep 21, 2017
topof106.tumblr.com
The real problem for the Sting will be losing Ruzicka+Kyrou will the Hounds might lose Timmins/Katchouk (although I expect only 1 of those 2 to make team C), but Hounds still have Gettinger/Frost/Kopacka etc for that month

Kyrou and Ruzicka are the top 2 scorers for the Sting, but below them, the scoring is spread out over the other forward lines, with 5 players with 10 or more goals and Fazio the best goalie in the OHL so far this season. The defence is improving - at least the SOG differential has gone way down from earlier in the season.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
It does not matter how many points they end up with this year - I think it is more important to prove to themselves and others than can get out of the first round of the playoffs. That is the biggest hump they need to get over. They could end up with 110 points but if they get knocked out in the first round others will chuckle and say "it's Sarnia, what did you expect". Time to end the drought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad