How many players from the 2006 olympic gold team wold take a spot in todays team?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Of course, if the players from that year was in the shape of 2006.

Henrik Lundqvist
Linus Ullmark
Jacob Markström

Nicklas Lidström - Erik Karlsson
Victor Hedman - Kenny Jönsson
Rasmus Dahlin - Mattias Öhlund

Peter Forsberg - Mats Sundin - Henrik Zetterberg
Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Daniel Alfredsson
Jesper Bratt - Elias Pettersson - William Nylander
Gabriel Landeskog - Mika Zibanejad - Filip Forsberg

The 3rd d pairing was hard....many even players. top 4 D is written in stone.

I assume P.Forsberg could handle wing position without any problem.

Maybe M.Näslund instead of Bratt? Näslund was on the 2006 roster, but had to decline...

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Quite a few.

For reference, here is the team (which should have been in the OP):

GK
Stefan Liv
Henrik Lundqvist
Mikael Tellqvist

D
Christian Bäckman
Niclas Hävelid
Kenny Jönsson
Niklas Kronwall
Nicklas Lidström (A)
Mattias Öhlund

Ronnie Sundin
Daniel Tjärnqvist

F
Daniel Alfredsson (A)
P.J. Axelsson
Peter Forsberg
Mika Hannula
Tomas Holmström
Jörgen Jönsson
Fredrik Modin
Samuel Påhlsson
Mikael Samuelsson
Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Mats Sundin (C)
Henrik Zetterberg

Bolded are my locks.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Honestly: is 2006 Lundqvist actually the favorite to start over 2023 Ullmark, or veteran-on-a-down-year Markström for that matter? I’m not sure.

Lundqvist hadn’t perfected his style and while he had been dominant in the SHL for a good few years, and was taking the NHL by storm, in 2006 he had the benefit of not having any very good goaltenders to compete with on the national team. Lundqvist’s performance in the finals was legendary, but I don’t know how convincing he was prior to that, and that he’d win the start over Vezina candidate 2023 Ullmark.

The Sedins were finally playing up to their potential following the lockout, and yeah, I think maybe the 2006 twins would make the 2023 team too, but Sweden’s depth has improved by now and they’re perhaps not as given as they would be a year or two down the line.

Forsberg, Sundin, Lidström, Alfredsson, Zetterberg are locks. Lundqvist as well, but not to start. The Sedins are quite likely.

Depending on coaching and whatnot, I could see guys like Modin, Axelsson and Holmström over certain youngins. Maybe Påhlsson as well, but if the coach wants a pure checking line, I’d suppose 2023 Joel Eriksson Ek beats pre-cup Påhlsson as fourth line center. Modin had a really nice year in 2006, was a reigning champion, brings a physical dimension you might want to see there. There’s going to be some very big snubs on the team, but you’re telling me you’re going to resist bringing on Holmström as a 13th forward/net front presence on the PP?

Reactions: Eye of Ra

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Honestly: is 2006 Lundqvist actually the favorite to start over 2023 Ullmark, or veteran-on-a-down-year Markström for that matter? I’m not sure.

Lundqvist hadn’t perfected his style and while he had been dominant in the SHL for a good few years, and was taking the NHL by storm, in 2006 he had the benefit of not having any very good goaltenders to compete with on the national team. Lundqvist’s performance in the finals was legendary, but I don’t know how convincing he was prior to that, and that he’d win the start over Vezina candidate 2023 Ullmark.

The Sedins were finally playing up to their potential following the lockout, and yeah, I think maybe the 2006 twins would make the 2023 team too, but Sweden’s depth has improved by now and they’re perhaps not as given as they would be a year or two down the line.

Forsberg, Sundin, Lidström, Alfredsson, Zetterberg are locks. Lundqvist as well, but not to start. The Sedins are quite likely.

Depending on coaching and whatnot, I could see guys like Modin, Axelsson and Holmström over certain youngins. Maybe Påhlsson as well, but if the coach wants a pure checking line, I’d suppose 2023 Joel Eriksson Ek beats pre-cup Påhlsson as fourth line center. Modin had a really nice year in 2006, was a reigning champion, brings a physical dimension you might want to see there. There’s going to be some very big snubs on the team, but you’re telling me you’re going to resist bringing on Holmström as a 13th forward/net front presence on the PP?
Lundqvist was HUGE in 06. No other Swedish goaltender ever would have won that final game. Sure he was so so on the way there.. But in the Final, don't go for anyone else than King Henrik.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Lundqvist was HUGE in 06. No other Swedish goaltender ever would have won that final game. Sure he was so so on the way there.. But in the Final, don't go for anyone else than King Henrik.

Yeah, Lundqvist in the finals — especially during that push for an equalizer where he made several sweaty saves — was priceless. If that’s specifically who we’re looking at, then Lundqvist every day. But let’s say we’re looking at everyone available before the tournament, and comparing them to the best players available in 2023, then I argue it’s not as clear cut. But as I said, I don’t think he’s that far from winning the starter spot. He’d been the best goalie in the SHL for years by then, was the MVP on Frölunda’s stacked lockout team, and was having a great rookie season in New York.

Perhaps not the best example to make my point, but Mika Hannula is an odd one on the 2006 roster, however imagine him scoring a hattrick in the finals. Would you trade a career Euro league checker Hannula for Nylander or Bratt, if you knew he played otherworldly for this one important game during 2006? Like, if we’re going by their best game in 2006, why would you trade anyone for someone in 2023?

If we’re doing the same thought experiment with the Finnish team, will Koivu’s stick always break on that faceoff too?

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
Lundqvist
Tellqvist
Liv
Lidström
Öhlund
Kronwall
Tjärnqvist
D.Sedin
H.Sedin