How many Norris trophies should Karlsson have?

See OP

• Total voters

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
How exactly was he on par if not slightly better defensively? Burns suppression metrics were worse, Burns GA/60 relative was only a very slight amount better against significantly easier opposition and far more not only overall Ozone starts but relative as well. Far better support as well.
Was EKs defense or defensive numbers so much better that he clearly deserved the award like many are suggesting? No. Even offensively, he was stellar. He was simply more consistent the entire year where as EK started picking it up towards the end. Burns being “better” doesn’t mean he was worlds away greater in his own end, just that he was better, even slightly.

I’m not saying Burns is a better defenseman than EK, but that year he was. EK doesn’t deserve every Norris just because he can pile on a bunch of points while playing decent defensively for the most part.

Last edited:

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
If you give 2016 to Karlsson then give 2015 to Doughty.

Its hilarious how people think Doughty was undeserving of his Norris because he didn't score 70 points

It's more like he because he barely scored 50 points (51) and the other candidate scored scored 82.

That's not a small gap.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Too bad for Karlsson hockey is played on 200ft and not 75ft

2015-16

Karlsson:

98 ES GA
52.1 CF
50.9 FF
1:20 SH TOI (7th on Ottawa)

Doughty

51 ES GA
58.1 CF
57.8 FF
2:56 SH TOI (2nd on LA)

CF/FF stats in a vacuum are damn near worthless. You're comparing individual players, using metrics that involve 5 players + coaching.

Rel stats are a lot more telling as it describes the impact an individual player can have on his team.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Was EKs defense or defensive numbers so much better that he clearly deserved the award like many are suggesting? No. Even offensively, he was stellar. He was simply more consistent the entire year where as EK started picking it up towards the end. Burns being “better” doesn’t mean he was worlds away greater in his own end, just that he was better, even slightly.

I’m not saying Burns is a better defenseman than EK, but that year he was. EK doesn’t deserve every Norris just because he can pile on a bunch of points while playing decent defensively for the most part.

What I meant is I don't even think Burns was better at all defensively from a full season speaking than EK ever in their entire careers.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Because points are all that matter.

I didn't remotely say that that was the case, just that your comment said in jest that Doughty shouldn't win because he "didn't score 70 points" is a pretty absurd misrepresentation. He didn't score 52 is what you meant to say.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
What I meant is I don't even think Burns was better at all defensively from a full season speaking than EK ever in their entire careers.
I think that year was an exception. Overall on s consistent basis? Yes your probably right, but I don’t believe EK is that superior defensively. Better? Sure, but it’s not all that significant.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I didn't remotely say that that was the case, just that your comment said in jest that Doughty shouldn't win because he "didn't score 70 points" is a pretty absurd misrepresentation. He didn't score 52 is what you meant to say.

My point was, the Norris these days seems to go to the d-man with the most points. Which is complete BS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->