Marlies Discussion: How many current Marlies will make the Leafs roster in 2018-2019

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
Hey all! I've just been a casual fan watching some solid AHL playoff hockey. The Toronto Marlies have really been something else this spring and I wonder how many are ready to make the big club this September. I'd love to hear your opinion, as I have just been blown away by the Leaf's prospect depth. Here's out look at the possible break-out stars on this stacked Marlies roster: Maple Leafs Rising: The Future of the Maple Leafs - Scrimmage and Stats

Cheers!

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Slam dunks: Johnsson, Dermott
Good chance: Grundstrom
Good chance (if Leafs trade): Sparks
Outside shot: Altonen, Holl
Long shot but if impresses: Liljegren

Basically how I see it
Essentially this if you mean by if Leafs trade, if Leafs trade mcbackup & Pickard. And Aaltonen's in the good chance category with Lindholm as they'll battle it out for the 4C spot.

But I think a guy like Engvall has a way better shot to steal what could be Grundstrom's spot, than the chance for Liljegren to be on the team day 1.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Number of them have a chance.
Babcock has shown he will play skill over character. They dont have to gud pro's, love country music, and watch Hunting channel.
Babcock wants talent first, and will bench someone like Leo to play Johnsson which he did.

The youngsters are going to be pretty happy having him as coach:)

Reactions: iSophagus

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
That's pretty much my list as well - Johnsson and (in particular) Dermott have already basically guaranteed spots on next year's roster, with Grundstrom and Aaltonen being guys that, I would imagine, will prove very difficult to send down once training camp opens up in the fall, and I expect them to make up 2/3 of our 4th line next year. I'm also in the camp that would like to see Sparks given a shot as backup next year, with McElhinney moved at the Draft.

I think a lot of it will depend on what kinds of moves our management staff decides to make during Free Agency - We're losing a few mainstays from our past few seasons' roster this summer, and it will be really interesting to see if Dubas and Co. decide to replace them with some of the other UFAs or if they, feeling confident in the development system they've put in place over the last 3-4 years, decide to simply promote from within and see what their kids are made of.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dubas moved on from Gardiner this off-season, believing Dermott to be ready for a larger role, and also could see Liljegren being a much harder decision for them than some might expect (though, were I a betting man, would probably count on him starting the year with the Marlies).

There's a lot of room for turnover this year, and it should be really exciting to see how we look moving forward.

*One little editing note regarding the article, though - Matthews missed 20 games this season, rather than 10.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Number of them have a chance.
Babcock has shown he will play skill over character. They dont have to gud pro's, love country music, and watch Hunting channel.
Babcock wants talent first, and will bench someone like Leo to play Johnsson which he did.

The youngsters are going to be pretty happy having him as coach:)
I don't think Babcock has shown he'll necessarily play skill over character. I think you may not be giving enough credit to the character he saw in Johnsson, to go along with his superior talent to Komarov. Johnsson got time on the PP, the PK, and a few minutes on the 1st line when Hyman was in the box for Fighting - I think Babcock loves him.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I don't think Babcock has shown he'll necessarily play skill over character. I think you may not be giving enough credit to the character he saw in Johnsson, to go along with his superior talent to Komarov. Johnsson got time on the PP, the PK, and a few minutes on the 1st line when Hyman was in the box for Fighting - I think Babcock loves him.

I agree with this.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think we'll see Johnsson, Dermott, Sparks and Aaltonen on the team next year.

Those guys and I wouldn't be shocked if Grundstrom forces himself onto the team coming out of camp to, he brings a skill set we don't have a lot of on the Leafs currently

Holl's a maybe as well as a 6/7

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Johnsson, Dermott and Kapanen for sure.

Aaltonen likely will get his shot at playing on the 4th line. Especially since he can play any forward position.

Grundstrom has to have a very impressive camp to steal a spot from someone.

Dark horse candidate: Timashov. Very skilled, possession player. Tenacious and also good defensively.

Reactions: Duke16

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Johnsson, Dermott and Kapanen for sure.

Aaltonen likely will get his shot at playing on the 4th line. Especially since he can play any forward position.

Grundstrom has to have a very impressive camp to steal a spot from someone.

Dark horse candidate: Timashov. Very skilled, possession player. Tenacious and also good defensively.
I agree with this. Many people say will say Holl, but I don't see him stealing anyone's spot.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Dermott has the same chance of being on this team as someone like nylander or marner(he is guaranteed a spot).

Johnsson will make it barring Babcock making a mistake and playing any vets we get in f/a over him(99% sure Babcock is too smart to do this and is done with gifting/handing spots to underwhelming guys like komo, moore, martin, now that he has more freedom and choice to play the youth)

Dubas if he is smart wont yo after a 4th line center and overpay for some grinder who has limited value. B/c ot this he will give Babcock option like aaltonen to be the 4th line center and Babcock will see his hustle+skill and have him center the 4th line

I have marchment aa a dark horse to make the team as the 4th line winger next season he reminds me kind of hyman in his work ethic and drive. It's a longshot but I think Babcock will love this player and the leafs will benefit from him.

Also think Justin holl gets a look in the season. Not out of training camp but later when/if inkurotes occur.

Besides these 4 I would love to see grundstrom make the team but I think we give him a year in the ahl until marlena is ready moved in the offseason.

Bracco, Grundstrom, Brooks, Tymo, Engvall, will get big roles next season in the ahl and hopefully have great seasons.

Leafs roster I'm going with(not considering any f/a ot trades

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-nylander-kapanen
Marchment -aaltonen-leivo

Rielly-Gardiner/Gardiner trade
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-ufa(hopefully ian cole)

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Dermott , A.J , Grunny , Sparks as backup , I think they are all 99% sure locks RIGHT NOW but the summer is long , draft / UFA / lots of variables.

Long shot
Pierre Engvall
Miro Aaltonen

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Those guys and I wouldn't be shocked if Grundstrom forces himself onto the team coming out of camp to, he brings a skill set we don't have a lot of on the Leafs currently

Holl's a maybe as well as a 6/7

Grundstrom is showing that he's too good for the AHL imo. Jumping in and dominating without an adjustment period means something.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Grundstrom is showing that he's too good for the AHL imo. Jumping in and dominating without an adjustment period means something.

We've shown a willingness to slow cook a lot of these guys so I'm working on that continuing, what I'd do is another thing entirely

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm guessing not a lot of people watch or follow the Marlies because Rosen has been the best Dman this season and will probably be on the Leafs if he continues his good play into camp and pre season.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Think Kapanen, Dermott and Johnsson will be locks to get their first full NHL seasons.

They're not Marlies, but I think Lindholm, and possibly Ozhiganov, will also start the season as Maple Leafs.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
whats everyone's thought on Mason Marchment looks like a good energy guy for the 4th line, prob dont have the room but ive liked his work ethic.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
whats everyone's thought on Mason Marchment looks like a good energy guy for the 4th line, prob dont have the room but ive liked his work ethic.

He's definitely on a Hyman like-arc of progression. I want to see if he continues it next year before I'll completely buy into him. If so, with his size and motor he'll likely earn a call up at some point next year if he keeps on improving and maybe a chance to find a place in 2019. He could potentially end up as what we though we were getting in Martin, or at best, IMHO, our next Hyman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad