How in the world did Malarchuk not win the Masteron in '89?

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Big Phil, May 7, 2007.

1. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

In March 1989 we all know what happened to Clint Malarchuk (his throat was slashed by a skate and he almost bled to death on the ice). He lived and then came back two weeks later and played! I know Tim Kerr won it that year and of course I'm not denying what he went through that year (I want to say it was a bad shoulder injury, sorry if I'm wrong) and he had heart too, but for the incident like Malarchuk's didnt he deserve it?

2. reckoning

reckoning Registered User

1) Most of the nominees for each team are made during the season; Malarchuk's injury happened near the end of the year (I don't think he was even the Sabres nominee that year). Kerr had missed almost all of the previous season due to his shoulder problems.

2) At that time, it was common to see the Masterton go to a player who not only exemplified the qualities of that award, but also to honor someone who had been a great player throughout their career but never won a major award (i.e. Brad Park, Rod Gilbert). Kerr's career was easily more accomplished than Malarchuks

3) I don't know if it was that year, but Kerr's wife died after giving birth.

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  3. invictus

invictus Registered User

seems if you win the Masteron your life is going rather ******. hope things turned around for these guys!

4. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

It seems that way. Did Adam Graves not win just recently a few years ago after his infant son died?

5. crashthenet

crashthenet Registered User

Kerr had 5 shoulder surgeries in 14 months prior. I believe his wife died in 90. He was an absolute horse who gets overlooked.