How I'd re-do the league

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I know I was thinking how to split the division. So I thought of the following factors:

Past and Present Rivalries:

Boston - Hartford
NYI - NYR
PHI - NJD

Toronto - Ottawa
Montreal - Quebec

I know Buffalo - Washington do not have a great rivalry, but they do have something going with Oveckin - Briere hopefully.

Also I wanted 2 original six teams in 3 divisions so that's how I got...TOR-MON, DET-CHI, and NYR-BOS.
I think BOS-MTL outweighs BOS-Hartford and Washington was part of the original Patrick division. Plus, Hartford could probably try to start a rivalry with NYR.

Whalerfan11

Feb 28, 2006
I think BOS-MTL outweighs BOS-Hartford and Washington was part of the original Patrick division. Plus, Hartford could probably try to start a rivalry with NYR.

Boston Hartford was pretty nasty...But yeah I feel that if Hartford got a team again the rivalry against NY would be strong..seeing that NY has their farm team planted in Hartford right now to many Whalers fans dismay.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
The shootout is an abomination that must be destroyed at all costs. At ALL costs.

10 minute OT, sudden death, 5-on-5. Winner (in OT or regulation) gets 3 points, loser (in OT or regulation) gets NO points. Tie game after OT is a tie game -- one point to each team.

The nets won't go away -- that's the insurance industry talking.

I don't care about the trapezoid one way or the other, and have come around on eliminating the two-line pass -- however, you MUST instate touch icing at all levels (as well as "touch-up" offsides).

Since we're being controversial -- take the NHL down to 28 teams (yes, I know, it will never happen). Remove the two teams with the lowest attendance average from the 2000-01 season (the first with all 30 teams) onwards (thus adjusting for a short-term variance) -- so bid farewell to Anaheim and Long Island (which makes sense, as they're both additions to arguably oversaturated markets).

PRINCE OF WALES CONFERENCE
Adams - Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota
Patrick - Columbus, Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia, New Jersey, NY Rangers, Boston

CAMPBELL CONFERENCE
Norris - Dallas, St. Louis, Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida
Smythe - Vancouver, San Jose, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado

Anaheim and Long Island become natural AHL farm teams for Los Angeles and the Rangers, being only part of the massive AHL re-alignment that would go along with the NHL re-alignment.

NATIONAL CONFERENCE
Atlantic - Portland, Manchester, Providence, Long Island, Philadelphia, Hershey, Wilkes-Barre
Great Lakes - Syracuse, Rochester, Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids, Chicago, Milwaukee, Manitoba

AMERICAN CONFERENCE
Central - Houston, Bossier-Shreveport, Wichita, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Laredo, Colorado (Fort Collins/Loveland)
Pacific - Las Vegas, Stockton, Bakersfield, Anaheim, Ontario (inland from Los Angeles), San Diego, Fresno

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
I could see getting rid of Anaheim, but why NYI. I mean they have a great history in the 80's, and plus I really like there jerseys.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I could see getting rid of Anaheim, but why NYI. I mean they have a great history in the 80's, and plus I really like there jerseys.
Well, if you like their jerseys, by all means we should keep them in the league.... :biglaugh:

Seriously, if you read my post, you'd see that I took the attendance numbers for all 30 teams over the 30-team era (starting in 2000-01), and dropped the bottom two over that period -- and those were Anaheim and the Islanders. No agendas, no nationalism, no sterotyping -- just pure numbers.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Since we're being controversial -- take the NHL down to 28 teams (yes, I know, it will never happen). Remove the two teams with the lowest attendance average from the 2000-01 season (the first with all 30 teams) onwards (thus adjusting for a short-term variance) -- so bid farewell to Anaheim and Long Island (which makes sense, as they're both additions to arguably oversaturated markets).
And who's going to cough up the hundreds of millions of dollars to buy out the Ducks and the Isles and the legal fees when, well how about that, Samuelli and Wang just don't want to sell.

Short of a team becoming quickly and completely insolvent, all talk of contraction is just unrealistic, not well thought out at all, and by now, just more than a damn bit tiring.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
And who's going to cough up the hundreds of millions of dollars to buy out the Ducks and the Isles and the legal fees when, well how about that, Samuelli and Wang just don't want to sell.

Short of a team becoming quickly and completely insolvent, all talk of contraction is just unrealistic, not well thought out at all, and by now, just more than a damn bit tiring.
Don't forget the NHLPA that's just lost 7% of its active membership.

NYRangerfn09

Aug 13, 2006
The shootout is an abomination that must be destroyed at all costs. At ALL costs.

10 minute OT, sudden death, 5-on-5. Winner (in OT or regulation) gets 3 points, loser (in OT or regulation) gets NO points. Tie game after OT is a tie game -- one point to each team.

First of all, NO. I am not sure what demographic the NHL would be trying to focus on but I can assure you that everyone my age that watches hockey (college) loves the idea of the shootout. Ties are just plain terrible. Like I really want to drop 250 for me and my g/f to go to a Ranger/Isles game to see the game end 2-2. Give me a break, 157 ties in 03 is entirely too much. Its one thing if you just hate shoot outs, but in my opinion (as well as pretty much everyone I know agrees with) there must be a winner. 3 points for an O.T win and no points for a loss? Please.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org

So, did you MISS the point where I said "Yes, I know this will never happen", or are you being deliberately obtuse in order to spout about the topic?

Rochester22

Oct 22, 2006
Webster, NY
Why stop there? Why not go to goalie against goalie? trainer vs. trainer?

10 minutes of OT, then 5-4 PP? That's another half a period and then even more. We have to go to work in the morning. Imagine how tired certain teams would get going to a full 10 min. OT and then 5-4 PP.

The NHL has made some incredible STUPID changes since the lockout (VS), but the Shoot Out isn't one of them.

5 min. OT then SO is just fine. I like this aspect of the game as is.

You must not of read my post clearly. the max anybody would have to play is 12 minutes of overtime. Thats not going into the morning now is it?

Maybe you should read before spouting off at the mouth

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
First of all, NO. I am not sure what demographic the NHL would be trying to focus on but I can assure you that everyone my age that watches hockey (college) loves the idea of the shootout. Ties are just plain terrible. Like I really want to drop 250 for me and my g/f to go to a Ranger/Isles game to see the game end 2-2. Give me a break, 157 ties in 03 is entirely too much. Its one thing if you just hate shoot outs, but in my opinion (as well as pretty much everyone I know agrees with) there must be a winner. 3 points for an O.T win and no points for a loss? Please.
First of all, YES. Give me a break -- you want to spend $250 to watch a glorified game of rock/paper/scissors? That's all fine and dandy for you, but to say there "has to be a winner" to such a point that you bastardize the game itself is asinine, in my opinion. Since you can't do infinite OT during the season, you call it a tie and move on, instead of playing a completely different game and call it "deciding a winner".

It's an abomination. I stand by that.

PantherBlood6*

so you'd move florida, despite them averaging 15,000 a game and having not made the playoffs in seven seasons?

here's a little tidbit for you from the george richards (miami herald beat writer)

-- Interesting note from The New York Times: When the Panthers beat the Devils at CSA on Jan. 27, a grand total of 736 households (rating number: 0.01) in the mammoth New York market tuned in on MSG. The available households in the market: 7.4 million. According to the report, over 2,000 homes tuned in on Florida's FSN while the arena announced a crowd of 18,136.

so that was a home game that almost sold out (19,250 capacity) and FSN florida almost tripled MSG's ratings. still want to move florida? why are people so ignorant when it comes to the panthers? fans keep coming out to the games despite having the most inept organization to cheer for...and people still want them moved. why? is it a climate thing? location? are you jealous or something? can we not have nice weather and hockey or what?

moving the panthers is such an asinine thought yet people keep bringing it up as plausible. they have been one of the worst organizations in the league yet still draw a respectable amount of fans, have good TV ratings and are in one of the biggest markets in the united states. they have more room to grow than any of those markets you suggested. they averaged 16,000 fans last year on average, 15,000 this year - both non-playoff seasons. had they been competative, you'd have to figure they'd be averaging 18,000+ if not more. now, explain to me, why would you move them?

good thing you aren't running the league.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
1. Rename the Divisions to the way they were.

2. Move some teams out of the south. There is no need for two teams in Florida.
Tampa won the cup since they've been around so they can stay.
Nashville has horrid attendance for a team that is as good as they are. They should move.
Carolina's attendance isn't bad, middle of the pack, but granted they are coming off a cup season. They can stay for now.
Washington needs to go. With a player like Ovechkin, you'd expect more than 13,351 average.

3. Do something about the tri-state teams. Move either the Devils or the Islanders (Yeah I'm a Rangers fan sue me.) Fact is those two teams can't sell out games in the playoffs and only get about 800 views on TV. Great way to sell the product. Devils are sealing their own fate by moving the Newark anyway. Ship them out.
The Islanders believe it or not have a stronger fan base than the Devils. The Islanders still had whatever fans that they had during their years of not making the playoffs and even now when they still aren't too great of a team. The Devils have been a top team for close to 15 years who has won 3 Cups in the past 12 and they still have no fans or support.

4. Bring more teams to Canada. I remember growing up hearing about how bad the Canadian Dollar was and that many teams couldn't pay their players. Today Canada fairs much better and it's about 84 cents to the dollar.
I'd like to see a team back in Winnipeg. Maybe bring one to Hamilton, one back to Quebec, and maybe Saskatoon since there are no teams in Saskatchewan.

5. Get back ESPN. If you want to stay on OLN fine. However, make sure that they aren't the only provider during the week. Make Mondays and Tuesdays OLN, make Wednesday and Thursday and nights ESPN. That way you have Monday through Thursday for Cable TV and then either Saturday or Sunday for Network TV.

6. Get rid of the integrator rule.

7. 3 points regulation win. 2 points OT win. 0 points loss. None of this OT loss crap.

8. Shootout is fine. Having no points for an OT loss would add even more suspense to it.

9. 10 minute 4 on 4 OT before shootout.

10. Drop the season to 72 games.
-20 Division (5 games per team x 4 teams = 20)
-20 InterConference (2 games per team x 10 = 20)
-30 IntraConference (2 games per team x 15 = 30)
-2 Wildcard (Against Divisional Teams)

11. Start the season in November like Basketball. You'll have less of the season interfering with Football. In addition, with October usually having 10 or so games you could still end the season at the same time. Either that or extend it a couple extra weeks and end in late June. That way the finals doesn't have as much competition with the NBA finals.

12. Ban the trap. Call it illegal defense. Just ban it and all forms of it. It is a plague to the sport and has to be eliminated.

13. Make the rinks bigger. I think it's time for Olympic sized rinks. Players are so big and fast now that it's either bigger rinks or 4 on 4. I'd rather take bigger rinks.

I could think of some more, but I'll stop there.

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
12. Ban the trap. Call it illegal defense. Just ban it and all forms of it. It is a plague to the sport and has to be eliminated.
How can this really be done? Mandate that a team must have at least three players in the offensive zone by three seconds after carrying it in? This is too open to interpretation.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
How can this really be done? Mandate that a team must have at least three players in the offensive zone by three seconds after carrying it in? This is too open to interpretation.

Call it from upstairs if you have to. Have someone upstairs watch the game on a monitor or just from an overhead position and call it after the play is blown dead.

Your basic 1-2-2 trap is extremely easy to pick up. Usually two D on the blue line facing towards the offensive zone, two wingers on or near the red line facing the offensive zone and one forechecker who steers the puck carrier towards the trapping wingers.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
a Saskatchewan NHL team is ludicrous for many reasons. most importantly, it would gut junior attendence province-wide and so destroy hockey at that level.

bones21212

Jul 22, 2006
the underground
the islanders aint going anywhere. bettman ( for what its worth ) already said that no previous cup champion will be moved.

if you want to lose 2 teams....washington and phoenix are just begging!!!!

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
the easiest way to beat the trap is dump and chase and have a heavy forecheck.

if you have mobile D with good hands, and quick forwards, you can try to beat them with speed before the trap is fully set up.

and if they are behind a goal, a trap is useless.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
if two teams were to be lost, it would be the two teams with weakest ownership groups. that's how it is.

so who? perhaps Atlanta (owners suing eachother) & Pittsburgh (don't want to be there, just want out)

NYRangerfn09

Aug 13, 2006
First of all, YES. Give me a break -- you want to spend $250 to watch a glorified game of rock/paper/scissors? That's all fine and dandy for you, but to say there "has to be a winner" to such a point that you bastardize the game itself is asinine, in my opinion. Since you can't do infinite OT during the season, you call it a tie and move on, instead of playing a completely different game and call it "deciding a winner".

Once again may I say, NO. I am not sure how much money you have to spend on a game and how it would "bastardize the game" but for you to believe that there should not be a winner is "asinine" in my opinion. It's not an "abomination" and many people enjoy seeing a winner. I never suggested infinite OT so I have no idea where you are coming from with that claim. Ties suck, get over it. The new NHL agrees.

GSC2k2*

This is the type of typical thinking that drives me nuts reading this stuff.

Says who?

I have never heard a single salient argument that says that the supposed best conditioned athletes in this corner of the galaxy could not play to a finish.

I swear, hockey fans hear something and take it as if it is the gospel. Friggin' standard "wisdom".

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
This is the type of typical thinking that drives me nuts reading this stuff.

Says who?

I have never heard a single salient argument that says that the supposed best conditioned athletes in this corner of the galaxy could not play to a finish.

I swear, hockey fans hear something and take it as if it is the gospel. Friggin' standard "wisdom".
Says the logistics of an 82-game season with back-to-back games in different cities on different nights. Says plane reservations. Says arena lease agreements and staffing restrictions. Says logistics and everything else an 82-game regular-season has to deal with.

It has NOTHING to do with the athletes or their conditioning, and everything to do with the realities of staging a professional sports regular season on ice.

I swear, some hockey fans assume other hockey fans just parrot what they hear instead of thinking that maybe, just maybe, someone else has put some thought into it and come up with the same thing that "standard wisdom" has said. Friggin' arrogant fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->