How has Joe Thornton looked for Canada ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

Incoming!
Mar 1, 2002
Jimmi Jenkins said:
Good as a winger, too bad he's playing center. He couldn't win a draw with a one armed 8 year old girl

Sounds odd for a guy in the top 25 in the NHL in faceoff percentage.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It'll be interesting to see how he plays today...usually the bigger the game, the worse he plays, the guy folds like a cheap suit every time the stakes are up. Team Canada is going to need him and his line for this game, let's see how he does.

Pay_ola

Feb 24, 2004
London
kytem2 said:
I've only seen one game in the Olympics thus far (Canada versus Switzerland), and am just looking for some objective observations on Joe's play.

Thanks...

First off, kytem2, I am sure you have watched only one game, BS. Second, is this your cheesy way of starting another thread to trash Thornton?

Almost half of your threads you start are to trash Thornton. http://hfboards.com/search.php?searchid=650865

I think the way you started this thread shows a lack of class. :shakehead

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
khy206 said:
I'm not a big Thornton fan, but you guys are harsh.

Thornton is not the only one who struggles right now. Almost entire team struggle.

If you say "Yes, I knew he would struggle in a big game like this!" then what will you say about Jarome "supposed to be a big game performer" Iginla this time?

Just wait and see. He's only 26, not 40 or something. He stil has plenty of time to prove himself. Actually, I heard he played pretty well during 04-05 Swiss League playoffs, and you guys can't deny he was one of the best players in the tournament in World Championship 2005.

Actually, in ALL the playoffs I've seen of him, he's been lousy. Swiss league doesn't really count. I mean real competition.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
I agree with most of the adjectives: lazy, invisible, disinterested.

He was the best player during the WC '04, but he makes Jason Allison look fast. He's trying to make that soft, pretty pass instead of driving at the net.

IMO, Canada will win today only if Thornton wakes up - otherwise they'll be golfing tomorrow. :shakehead

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Good to see some people are seeing the same stuff that some of us Bruins fans were seeng.:p:

Wile E1

Feb 27, 2002
cartoon exile
Visit site
holy piling on, Batman

no one on Team Canada has been great, but IMO Joe doesn't deserve the lynch mob ... other than faceoffs, I thought he was one of the better canadians against the Fins, and he and Doan drew the Jagr matchup for most of the czech game and did a good job ... also, because he doesn't kill penalties, he's spent a bunch of time on the bench ... it's hard to get things going from there ... Joe will be good ... dating back to junior, he's been a key part of several successful Team Canada's ... I see no reason to doubt him now

khy206

Nov 26, 2005
deandebean said:
Actually, in ALL the playoffs I've seen of him, he's been lousy. Swiss league doesn't really count. I mean real competition.

Whatever, then how about the performance in World Championship 2005?

That IS a real competition, definitely.

SignThornton

BEAST MODE
Oct 14, 2005
St. Catharines, Ont.
What a surprise another bashing thread. Yeah I admit Joe hasn't had the best Olympics but to put the blame all on him is ridiculous. The whole team except maybe Brodeur played bad, period.

CTBoyntonFan44

Jul 5, 2005
Providence, RI
As he did most of the time playing for the Bruins, he totally mailed in his performance in the Olympics. It's unfortunate that someone with his God-given talent is so often made to look like he's asleep on his skates.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
khy206 said:
Whatever, then how about the performance in World Championship 2005?

That IS a real competition, definitely.

Did you watch his performance in the gold medal game? Enough said. He cant handle pressure.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
I haven't seen much of Thornton, he didn't look very good out there. But you could say that about Iginla and just about everyone else save the goaltenders too.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Any moment there should be a contingent of Bruin/Thornton Fanboys coming here to give you a list of reasons why it is not Joe's fault. You all need to understnad it is never his fault. EVER.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Honestly, I thought Thornton was the worst Canadian forward overall. Though, quite frankly, the distance between him and the best forward was not large.

acr*

Bruwinz37 said:
Any moment there should be a contingent of Bruin/Thornton Fanboys coming here to give you a list of reasons why it is not Joe's fault. You all need to understnad it is never his fault. EVER.

You're forgetting the part where he saves a homeless puppy from being put to sleep.

khy206

Nov 26, 2005
bert said:
Did you watch his performance in the gold medal game? Enough said. He cant handle pressure.

Wow, that is great. He played entire tournament well, and even selected as the MVP of the tournament. (correct me if I'm wrong) But you still say he sucks because he did not play well in only one game? I remember nobody on Team Canada played well in that game. Even Martin 'big game' Brodeur looked shaky.

It's like saying Iginla sucks because he didn't show up in game 6 & 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals even though he had great performance throughout the entire post season. What a joke.

I'm not gonna say Thornton wasn't a problem for Bruins' post season failure, but Jesus. Give him credits for what he'd done, at least.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
khy206 said:
Wow, that is great. He played entire tournament well, and even selected as the MVP of the tournament. (correct me if I'm wrong) But you still say he sucks because he did not play well in only one game? I remember nobody on Team Canada played well in that game. Even Martin 'big game' Brodeur looked shaky.

It's like saying Iginla sucks because he didn't show up in game 6 & 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals even though he had great performance throughout the entire post season. What a joke.

I'm not gonna say Thornton wasn't a problem for Bruins' post season failure, but Jesus. Give him credits for what he'd done, at least.

Fair enough.

He's one of the best hockey players in the world when it matters the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->