How good was Bobby Hull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I have that clip of the WHA goalie stepping aside and waving at the puck. If I come across it, I'll see if I can identify the goalie.

I didn't think that Orr or anyone made 600k in the mid 70's.

I took a look at the salary figures for 1978 and Phil Esposito had the
highest contract for that year at $325,000. Then Marcel Dionne was paid
$320,000 for that season.

Don't forget that Sanderson negotiated a long term scouting contract for his dad, Harold.

By the way, the next proposal for a DVD set would be on the WHA, including games, hi-lites and even maybe a DVD of WHA fights. Do you think that would sell?

chooch said:
Do you recall what Sanderson made or Parent? I had thought Sanderson got $1 million and scored 3 goals in the WHA? Bobby Orr was the highest NHLer in the mid 70's at $600k.
At what point were the stats inflated post Hull? 1980s?

DO you recall an oftplayed clip of Hull scoring on a hapless WHA goalie by slapping the puck from the high slot and the goalie literally steps out of the way and meekly waves at it as it goes in the net. Always wanted to know who was the goalie.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
From a fellow SIHR member:

This exercise has already been done in the 1999 book Ultimate Hockey by
Glenn Weir, Jeff Chapman, and Travis Weir.

They "attributed" the trophies Hart, Vezina, Norris, Selke and Art Ross for
all years all the way back to 1887. Not sure if they used the current or
former definition of the Vezina trophy.

They do indicate that you should "feel free to disagree on any of them".

scribe114 said:
Thank you Classic, will check periodically to see if the info pops up.

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
I have that clip of the WHA goalie stepping aside and waving at the puck. If I come across it, I'll see if I can identify the goalie.

I didn't think that Orr or anyone made 600k in the mid 70's.

I took a look at the salary figures for 1978 and Phil Esposito had the
highest contract for that year at $325,000. Then Marcel Dionne was paid
$320,000 for that season.

Don't forget that Sanderson negotiated a long term scouting contract for his dad, Harold.

By the way, the next proposal for a DVD set would be on the WHA, including games, hi-lites and even maybe a DVD of WHA fights. Do you think that would sell?

I would buy it sight unseen! check your pm's

I'll dig up the SI article in which Orr was listed at $600k; I'm bad at numbers maybe I'm mistaken - was he on the 78 list?

I have a 1978 article from the Globe (I think) that lists every player's salary. Andy Spruce was at $30,000 for Colorado if I recall. Might be an effort but I'll try and dig it up. It caused a huge stir and anger back then as these numbers were supposed to be secret. I remember Lapointe quipping,"I'm very mad - my wife didnt know I made that much!".

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I was going by the '78 list and I don't think Orr was on it.

What would anyone want to see on a WHA DVD set?

chooch said:
I would buy it sight unseen! check your pm's

I'll dig up the SI article in which Orr was listed at $600k; I'm bad at numbers maybe I'm mistaken - was he on the 78 list?

I have a 1978 article from the Globe (I think) that lists every player's salary. Andy Spruce was at $30,000 for Colorado if I recall. Might be an effort but I'll try and dig it up. It caused a huge stir and anger back then as these numbers were supposed to be secret. I remember Lapointe quipping,"I'm very mad - my wife didnt know I made that much!".

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
I was going by the '78 list and I don't think Orr was on it.

What would anyone want to see on a WHA DVD set?

1. Year by year history ie playoffs + history of birth and merger 60 min
2. Interesting franchises, players and personalities 20 min
3. A pic of Richard coaching
4. 74 Summit 10 min
5. A retro approach ie interviews with the players as they are today interspersed with the above clips.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I honestly think Hull was UNDERRATED. He was probably the best SHOOTER of all time, including his son Brett and Mike Bossy. And he was the fastest skater of all-time. I would rank him in the top 5 of all-time, behind Orr, Gretzky, Sawchuk, and tied with Maurice Richard. People today have no idea how great he was! Imagine Iginla with Kovalchuk's skill and Gaborik's speed, then even better! THAT was Bobby Hull! He was so far ahead of his time, it was ridiculous! Imagine Mark Messier with skill! And then add some scoring ablity! That would be colse.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Interesting that you say that Hull was ahead of his time. Very true.

There is always the debate whether players from the past could play today. We asked Brian Conacher that about Bobby Hull - how good would Bobby be if he played in today's game. Conacher said that Hull would excel even more in the style of hockey played now. He said that Hull might have been the first NHL player (pre-European influence) to cross the ice while on his offensive rushes. Hull was effective in the 60's doing that to an extent. But Hull was really restricted in this style back then because of the traditional roles for wingers were to go up and down their wing.

Hull had everything a superstar needed then and now. He was the strongest skater, by far the best and hardest shot, he was strong, played an aggressive game and fought his own battles.

By the way, Hull fought Ferguson before Hull's jaw was broken. Ferguson had cross-checked Hull in the head and Hull earned a slight decision in the ensuing fight.

In their next encounter, Hull was ready to fight Fergy again even thought he was wearing a mask to protect a broken jaw he suffered in a game against Detroit, I think.

jiggs 10 said:
I honestly think Hull was UNDERRATED. He was probably the best SHOOTER of all time, including his son Brett and Mike Bossy. And he was the fastest skater of all-time. I would rank him in the top 5 of all-time, behind Orr, Gretzky, Sawchuk, and tied with Maurice Richard. People today have no idea how great he was! Imagine Iginla with Kovalchuk's skill and Gaborik's speed, then even better! THAT was Bobby Hull! He was so far ahead of his time, it was ridiculous! Imagine Mark Messier with skill! And then add some scoring ablity! That would be colse.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Thanks for the input. The type of content hasn't been decided yet. There may be complete games, hi-lite films and maybe interviews of former players. The 1974 Summit may be included as well.

chooch said:
1. Year by year history ie playoffs + history of birth and merger 60 min
2. Interesting franchises, players and personalities 20 min
3. A pic of Richard coaching
4. 74 Summit 10 min
5. A retro approach ie interviews with the players as they are today interspersed with the above clips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad