Value of: How good/potential of STL's Vince Dunn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Sabres fan here. Sabres fans talk about an ROR for Parayko deal and I know that's not going to happen but I do like Vince Dunn. What does he project to be - a good 2D scoring ~40 points per season?

I'm not looking to trade ROR myself but our GM may think different. Dunn plus a good prospect(Kyrou/Thomas) for a center that Sportsnet ranked statistically the 9th best center in the league?

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
You aren’t getting Dunn+Thomas/Kyrou for ROR

Thomas is still untouchable and the Blues aren’t packaging Dunn + Kyrou unless they are blown away

Reactions: 67Blues

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
i highly doubt Thomas would ever be dealt for ROR and I don’t know if I’d include kyrou in a deal for him either if Dunn was the main piece going the other way. This is taking nothing away from ROR because he would look good on the blues. This is because the blues need good players at cheap contracts to offset the dead money they have on the books in sobotka, berglund, j-bow, and steen.

To answer your question about Dunn’s potential. I don’t think he will be a top pairing defenseman but the kid is slick on his skates, is a good passer, pretty decent shot, and can be pretty feisty when needed. I see him being a better version of Kevin shattenkirk.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'd rather trade Parayko if I am honest (not for RoR, just in general). I am probably in the minority on that opinion though. Parayko is considered more valuable so, we'd get more return. If the return is equal, I probably keep PArayko but would think long about it. Parayko isn't as necessary because of Pietrangelo (although we do need a RH top 4 replacement if we trade him). Parayko is better defensively, but Dunn actually has more offensive potential. I think 35+ point 2nd pair D is Dunn's floor with upside of 60 pt #2D.

Dunn didn't put up a lot of points this year but made a ton of great little offensive plays that went unrewarded. He is very elusive in small spaces with his skating which can buy time and space to make plays. He can lead the rush with his speed or make great tap-to-tape breakout passes. The biggest thing is that he is a smart and decisive PP QB, and really improved our terrible PP when he moved to PPQB of PP1. Without him, we would have been the worst team in the league on the PP. Our LD side has no good offensive D, which hurts. It would take huge overpayment for me to move Dunn

I don't move Dunn or Thomas for RoR unless there are no other options at 2C. RoR is a great 2 way C, a really great player. But Blues need more offense, ES and PP. Dunn will help provide that. RoR helps but isn't a pure offensive force.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Doubt the Blues are interested in moving Dunn at all let alone add 1 of their 2 top prospects

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Doubt the Blues are interested in moving Dunn at all let alone add 1 of their 2 top prospects

I’d move any of them in the right deal just don’t think ROR is the game breaker the blues need to move them. ROR is a great 2 way center....better version of stastny but he isn’t Tavares and that’s where I’d be throwing 11-12 million dollars in hopes of him being buddies with petro pays off.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Dunn came into the season with management thinking he would need some seasoning but he just got better as the season went on. Like others have said I dont think we are looking to trade away pieces like Dunn, Husso, Thomas, or Kyrou unless the offer blows us away.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
Dunn isn't likely going anywhere. He going to be one of the core Defensemen for the Blues. The thing is that Boumeester, Gunnarson, and Bortuzzo all become free agents this off season. I think they will likely make the Defense built around Petro, Colton, Gunn, and Joel. Bortuzzo likely be back with I say a Jordon Smaltz. Husso isn't going anywhere more so if Hutton doesn't resign but I think the Blues see Husso as there long there long term plan. Thomas and Kyrou are likely a BIG part of the Blues Core in the next couple of years. If anything the offer would look something like First rounder, Foley, and Sobolka.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Dunn isn't likely going anywhere. He going to be one of the core Defensemen for the Blues. The thing is that Boumeester, Gunnarson, and Bortuzzo all become free agents this off season. I think they will likely make the Defense built around Petro, Colton, Gunn, and Joel. Bortuzzo likely be back with I say a Jordon Smaltz. Husso isn't going anywhere more so if Hutton doesn't resign but I think the Blues see Husso as there long there long term plan. Thomas and Kyrou are likely a BIG part of the Blues Core in the next couple of years. If anything the offer would look something like First rounder, Foley, and Sobolka.

I actually think parayko is expendable. The blues have reinke and he can play in paraykos place. I’ve seen him play at tech numerous times and the kid is good. Perfect second pairing d man.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Dunn is a sure-fire top-4 defenseman moving forward. I think there’s a chance he could develop into a #2. He has a lot of talent.

He’d be hard to get. I’d rather move Edmundson, Walman and Schmaltz before him.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I already view Dunn as untouchable. He taked biggest steps of our prospects at NHL level. His value will rise. Would Be Bad to move him when his value is at lowest.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I actually think parayko is expendable. The blues have reinke and he can play in paraykos place. I’ve seen him play at tech numerous times and the kid is good. Perfect second pairing d man.
Reinke can take his place?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

If you think Reinke and Parayko are interchangeable you should probably take a nap. I agree that Parayko is probably more expendable than Dunn though but that's not because I think that watching tech and NCAA hockey can translate

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
You guys don’t think reinke can take paraykos spot because he wouldn’t get pushed around by smaller players in front of the net? It does take talent to not use your size. I’ll give you guys that.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
You guys don’t think reinke can take paraykos spot because he wouldn’t get pushed around by smaller players in front of the net? It does take talent to not use your size. I’ll give you guys that.
Yeah because 5' 11" 180lb defensemen are typically rocks that can't be pushed around as easily. He'll be lucky if he passes Schmaltz on the depth chart and wouldn't have been up with the club if Schmaltz didn't have his bell rung and was out on concussion leave and Bortuzzo wasn't playing with a bum wheel.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Well this one started to drift off topic.
For Dunn he came in as a decent prospect we were expecting to be a 4/5th defensemen some day and ended up being a pretty solid second pair guy by years end so we have no idea what his upside is now. Good on offense and had a bit of grit. What got the whole trade part derailed is the prospects more so than Dunn I believe. Thomas is untouchable simply because hes what weve been needing for years and years. Kyrou has a tremendous amount of potential that none of us really know how to accurately predict. If it was Orielly for Dunn+Prospect+pick that wasn't one of those 2 id probably say yes. Dunn is good and going to be a solid player going forward but I wan't center depth for once.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Yeah because 5' 11" 180lb defensemen are typically rocks that can't be pushed around as easily. He'll be lucky if he passes Schmaltz on the depth chart and wouldn't have been up with the club if Schmaltz didn't have his bell rung and was out on concussion leave and Bortuzzo wasn't playing with a bum wheel.

Schmaltz isn’t as good as rienke. Sorry.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Dunn is legit.

He's probably currently a 2nd pairing defenceman and could develop into a top pairing guy. Smooth skater. I really liked him when he was with Niagara.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Schmaltz isn’t as good as rienke. Sorry.
Based on what? He was decent in college? He was a Hobey Baker nominee? The path to the NHL is littered with defensemen like Rienke...undersized PMD are a dime a dozen coming up through the ranks, but few of them stick. I'd be willing to bet Rienke doesn't sniff 200 NHL games in his career.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Based on what? He was decent in college? He was a Hobey Baker nominee? The path to the NHL is littered with defensemen like Rienke...undersized PMD are a dime a dozen coming up through the ranks, but few of them stick. I'd be willing to bet Rienke doesn't sniff 200 NHL games in his career.

And schmaltz has proved what? If your answer is anything more than absolutely nothing you’re dead wrong.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
And schmaltz has proved what? If your answer is anything more than absolutely nothing you’re dead wrong.

I mean I've watched him play games in the NHL were I thought he looked like a solid NHL player. That is more then Rienke has shown me.

Reactions: 67Blues
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad