How good or great are Canada's 1988's???

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
For the upcoming U18's and WJC's next year and beyond how good are these guys??......Some fine players and a few coming out of no where in the last year or so. Perhaps someone can list the top USA 88's and who will be expected for the IIHF U18's in April?

Jonathan Toews
Cory Emmerton
Jordan Staal
Ryan Mcdonough
Matt Beleskey
Aaron Snow
John Hughes
Justin Azevedo
Brett MacLean
Ben Shutron
James DeLory
Matt Corrente
John Degray
Zach Hamill
Ben Maxwell
Ryan White
Brady Calla
Logan Pyett
Ty Wishart
Karl Alzner
Leland Irving
James Sheppard
Claude Giroux
Francois Bouchard
Jonathan Bernier

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
Canada's 88's

I think that Canada's 1988 born players are just average in comparison to the other age groups in Canada. The 85's were certainly the strongest group we've had in recent memory with the 86's probably being the weakest. The 87 class is quite good as we saw at the WJC's this year without the two best 87 Canadian forwards Crosby and Brule being involved. Canada has some solid 88's but no elite offensive players and no dominant defensemen. The goaltending is very capable with Bernier and Irving although it drops off quickly after that.

I think Canada's 89' group is outstanding with players like Esposito, Gagner, Couture, Gillies, Grant, Katic, Doughty, and the 90' group could rival the 85' or just fall short with outstanding prospects like Tavares, Stamkos, Del Zotto, Pietrangelo, Teubert, Cormier, Doyle and Beach.

I think the 88' group will be hard pressed to win a medal this year due to the lack of depth and the fact that several top players such as Staal, Sheppard, Hamill, Maxwell, etc won't be available for the World U-18's. Hopefully, Hockey Canada will name some underagers to the team as both Mark Katic and John Tavares won't be playing in the playoffs and could benefit greatly from the experience.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
I think they'll be hard-pressed to win a medal unless they come together really well. Looking at the standings in the CHL and NCAA, it looks like they'll probably only have about 2 future first-rounders available for the tournament (Toews and Wishart).

But will they send Toews as he has already played in the WJC's? Hopefully, if he's available, they do ask him to go play.

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
Isnt DAn Ryder still eligible?
I think he deserves a shot, especially on a weaker year

RW8

Feb 10, 2004
It's pretty interesting seeing kids with the same birth year as me being talked about as prospects :D good thread.

Default101

"How good or great are Canada's 1988's???"

Nowhere near as good as their 1989 crop will be ;)

Default101

btw add Harrison Reed to that list he's expected to go 2nd/early 3rd :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad