How good of a prospect were YOU ??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
JasonMacIsaac said:
Am I the only one who said I didn't dominate or make a AAA team, I would say this thread will be piled with alot of BS in the near future.

nah- i was the second post and i have accomplished nothing.

i am, at worst, the second best hockey player on my pond.
EVER.

my gym class had no talent at all.
never got to play hockey competitively.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Imagine Pierre Marc Bouchard without the talent. and you've got me. I also got tired of getting my bell rung by about age 15 - did get to scrimmage a few times against former North Star Scott Bjugstad though. My hockey playing highlight was playing pond hockey in Minneapolis and being joined by former Whaler/NorthStar Gordie Roberts. How many NHLers play pond hockey in their spare time?!

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Bookman said:
Imagine Pierre Marc Bouchard without the talent. and you've got me. I also got tired of getting my bell rung by about age 15 - did get to scrimmage a few times against former North Star Scott Bjugstad though. My hockey playing highlight was playing pond hockey in Minneapolis and being joined by former Whaler/NorthStar Gordie Roberts. How many NHLers play pond hockey in their spare time?!
well, Luc Robitaille usually plays inline hockey in the offseason, not quite the same, but still cool!

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How good of a hockey prospect were YOU yourself ??!!

Never any threat to play in the NHL, mainly due to my size, maxed out in my playing career at 5'6, 130 lbs.

What type of a hockey player were you ? Highest level you played hockey at ?

I was a very good all-around centerman. Think Doug Gilmour/Bobby Clarke type. Highest level I played at was in college for Penn St. Univ.

Got any hockey stats on yourself ? Hockey career highlights ?

Highlights, my Bantam team won our district and the Mid-America region, and went to Nationals where we placed 8th in the country.

When I was 15 they took a select team from the Philadelphia area and put a team together, we went over and played teams in Germany for two weeks.

Leading scorer and MVP of my high school league as a senior in high school. I was the best player in easten PA as a senior.

As a sophmore at Penn St. I lead the team in every stat (goals, assists, +/-, ppg, shg, and even pim's) Very rare because for my career i was almost never in the penalty box.

Never got to play my Senior season due to a re-aggravation of an old shoulder injury.

Dwayne Roloson

Mar 2, 2002
Rochester
Visit site
<b>How good of a hockey prospect were YOU yourself ??!!</b>
Not all-star material, but alright, i could probably make the brockport college team, but i decided to turn to working, and my studies more

<b>What type of a hockey player were you ?</b>
butterfly goalie

<b> Highest level you played hockey at?</b>
Midgets Travel

<b>Got any hockey stats on yourself ? Hockey career highlights ?</b>
won goalie of the year 2 years in a row for my first youth team
won 2/3 midget championships with youth team, lost the other in ot
played in NY state's where we played the nationally ranked #2 team and lost by 2
won a pee-wee title
hold best gaa average, shutout record for midget youth team

BLACKBURN

Feb 17, 2003
London
Visit site
I played as center in inline hockey here in britain. I loved and still love the creativity and flow of inline. My coach was former Maple Leaf Fredd Perlini, he used to play ice for my local club but the was forced to retire due to injuries. I stopped playing last year because of my studies, I really miss it though, might take it up at uni (college for u na's).... career highlight, probably trying to check a 15 stone stationary guy, went flying although i did get a bit of a cross check in :D

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
pretty damn good goalie b/c i ate up the net and could move side-to-side well on iceskates. however my actual skating, like behind the boards, sucked, and i lived too far from the nearest rink to get much practice to work on it.

14. i was practically fullygrown at 5'10'' 200 lbs by this point, and it became obvious to me football was more in my destiny, once i became 6'1'' and started lifting weights to put me at 260 lbs all muscle at present age 19. after i stopped playing hockey i found that i loved playing european handball and proved to be dominant in my h.s. gym class as a goalie. whoever had me, won usually, b/c i took up 90% of the net (who needs pads when u're a monsterous bodybuilder? ;\). i still want to find out if i can tryout for european handball in the olympics. i believe usa has a team or whatever, and seriously am -arrogant- enough to believe i could win gold for the red white and blue. ;\ i can dream ;\

i actually had a lot of good games. i doubt i'd get drafted by the nhl or anything if i kept w/ it.... maybe if i lived in canada and played it religiously. hockey is my second love next to football.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I played one season against VINCENT LECAVALIER.... he was playing for Pierrefond at about 11 years old... at that time, he was among the youngest players in the league and the best one.

I also had the «chance» to play against Philippe Sauvé in a tournament at DDO (on the island of montreal).

...I'm still waiting to be drafted. ;-)

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
I was never very good at hockey. Well, thats not entirely true. Back when I was 11 or 12 I played Atom A and was the best defensive defenseman on my team. I had no puck skills at all but I would never get beat 1 on 1 and would win all my battles along the board or in front of the net. I would play 2/3 of every game. My team made the finals against a really, really good team that completely dominated us. I was on for almost the whole game and we took them to double overtime. I came off for a shift because I could barely stand up and they scored to win it. And that was about it.

The next year I was asked to play for the Peewee AA team but my dad didn't want me to because he's a ski bum and it would have required him to spend his weekends driving me to hockey games and practices instead of skiing. Not that I minded because I loved skiing as well. So I basically just kept to house league and I started ski racing. But basically I was never willing to sacrifice one for the other because I knew I'd never be good enough to really be among the best.

Now I just play division 4 intramural at University of Toronto. Its not good hockey but its fun and I can skate with the puck enough. I played at higher levels here but there were too many *******s and it just wasn't enjoyable. I'm always amazed at how these really nice guys off the ice turn into the biggest jerks the second they put on skates. I skate hard and I battle alot, but I play clean. There's only so much cross checking, slashing and other stick work I can take.

EspOrrsito

edumacated
Feb 27, 2002
B.C.
Visit site
When I was young I must say that my hockey skills were phenomenal and almost legendary, of course this was only when I played table hockey. :p

Hitman*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Peewee is 10 min stop clock or 15 min run the clock. Half the game would be 15 min or less.

Because every league has the same time rule :rolleyes:

On the high level teams, the ones that get first dibbs on their own arena time, they play 15-20 minute periods depending on the age level.

In Calgary, from about Tyke to Atom, its a 10-10-12 or a 10-12-12 system. In Pee Wee up, its usually 12-15-15 une=less you're in the upper divisions. Then there's tournaments where a 15-15-20 isn't uncommon (even 20-20-20).

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
Hitman said:
Because every league has the same time rule :rolleyes:

On the high level teams, the ones that get first dibbs on their own arena time, they play 15-20 minute periods depending on the age level.

In Calgary, from about Tyke to Atom, its a 10-10-12 or a 10-12-12 system. In Pee Wee up, its usually 12-15-15 une=less you're in the upper divisions. Then there's tournaments where a 15-15-20 isn't uncommon (even 20-20-20).

In Western PA we ran 12-12-12 stop clock most of the time. Except tournaments. I remember playing a game that was 20-15-20 once in a tournament. Now that was tiring.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002

Not good enough to make a career out of it, but played competitive until age 18 before taking it down a notch and focusing on education.

Positional/butterfly goalie. Highest level was AAA Midget. Dressed for a few Jr A games as a call-up, played 1 period. I was protected by Brandon at 16. Dropped at 17.

Can't remember my stats off hand and I lost the stat record books from my AAA seasons.

My biggest personal highlight was in my second last season of midget. I was the backup and our team was in a dogfight for a playoff spot. With two games left our starter went down in warmup against one of the better teams in the league and I was thrown in unprepared. We won that game 4-2 (the goalie I was facing was Maple Leaf 3rd rounder Jamie Hodson). The next day I shut out another good team, 1-0 and we made the playoffs.

Also, another highlight was playing in the Air Canada Cup Regionals the following season. Played against some great players there, got lit up pretty bad by Jeff Heerema. His team (Thunder Bay Kings) went on to win the national title the following weekend.

I still play in a beer league with buddies, still love being on the ice and can't wait for the season to start.

The_Wiz

Apr 6, 2003
nova scotia
Visit site
Grrreat Stories !!!

Hey guys,

Those are awesome stories ! Takes us all back to a simpler time in our lives. Back when our biggest worry was that we still needed 5 hockey cards to complete the set ! Got 'em, need 'em, got 'em, need 'em ! Then your friends knew you only needed a few cards, so they'd rip you off ! Like make you trade 10 cards to one of the cards you needed ! ;) lol Remember the SMELL of the gum in the hockey card packs, and how it would make the cards smell too ? And how HARD was that gum to chew when you were in a freezing cold rink ? ;)

I also liked the stories about how the parents were involved. Oh yes those 7 am Saturday games in another town ! Getting up at 5 am, and putting ALL your hockey gear on BEFORE you got in the car ! You'd be DYING of heat in the car, but your parents would NOT turn the heat down, because they are older, and have poor circulation and are "always cold" ! lol ;) So then you'd start to get motion sick in the backseat, because of the heat and the bumpy roads due to the frost in the ground. Then you'd have to pull over and puke, trying not to get it on your hockey sweater ! lmao

THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIENDS, THOSE WERE THE DAYS ! ;)

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
The_Wiz said:
Hey guys,

Those are awesome stories ! Takes us all back to a simpler time in our lives. Back when our biggest worry was that we still needed 5 hockey cards to complete the set ! Got 'em, need 'em, got 'em, need 'em ! Then your friends knew you only needed a few cards, so they'd rip you off ! Like make you trade 10 cards to one of the cards you needed ! ;) lol Remember the SMELL of the gum in the hockey card packs, and how it would make the cards smell too ? And how HARD was that gum to chew when you were in a freezing cold rink ? ;)

I also liked the stories about how the parents were involved. Oh yes those 7 am Saturday games in another town ! Getting up at 5 am, and putting ALL your hockey gear on BEFORE you got in the car ! You'd be DYING of heat in the car, but your parents would NOT turn the heat down, because they are older, and have poor circulation and are "always cold" ! lol ;) So then you'd start to get motion sick in the backseat, because of the heat and the bumpy roads due to the frost in the ground. Then you'd have to pull over and puke, trying not to get it on your hockey sweater ! lmao

THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIENDS, THOSE WERE THE DAYS ! ;)

Amen my friend. Amen. How I would love to go back to the days when nothing mattered but playing a game of pick up with your best friends and hanging out in the locker room talking after.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Me a prospect lol

Played house league peewee,bantam and midget.
the best my team ever did was lose the provincial finals.

i was a rough,tough,dirty defenseman. i wasn't a great skater by any means. i did score a few goals a season. i had a wicked wrist shot. sit back on the point and top shelf.

take my skates off and i was an excellent floor hockey player. in the mold of bobby clarke. tough,rugged,high energy and a good scorer.
my floor hockey team also played in provincials and like usual we lost. lol :joker: :joker: :joker:

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site

Meh, I feel I could have went further, but decided that friends were more important than hockey at the time---still don't regret a thing!

A two-way d-man, always the smartest player on the ice, good shot, incredible passer, outstanding vision, but always took care of my end first. Not overly physical but not afraid to get involved in the rough stuff either. Only had two fights in my minor hockey career.

Played Junior A for the Kindersley Klippers of the SJHL at the tender age of 16. I figured I wouldn't get much ice-time (and wouldn't have, probably a #7 or 8 d-man at the time) and so decided I'd rather play with all my friends before going off to university.

Not much for stats I guess. One goal and two assists in 6 pre-season games with the Klippers (all in the same game in a 9-2 win).

Highlights:

Got to play against the Under 16 Russian national team (biggest name on that team was Fedor Fedorov---he was overrated, very weak on the puck)

Current NHLers or AHLers I've played against:
Curtis Brown
Patrick Marleau
Chad Hinz
Cam Severson
Ryan Bast
(possibly more, but can't remember them all)

Played with AHLer Blake Evans.

My most memorable year we lost provincial semi-finals by a goal to the team that went on to win by a goal in the finals (2-game total goal series). That was heartbreaking.

Not much else there...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Not one at all.

What type of a hockey player were you ?
Skilled forward? I was pretty small and played that way.

Highest level you played hockey at ?
High school team.

Uhh, I led the dek hockey leagues in scoring when I started playing at 7 up until I was 11, and ended up quitting dek. I have a bunch of trophies for being the leading scorer on my team in roller hockey, as well. Didn't accomplish much of anything in high school. I was never on a winning team, and always the least worst player on a team full of bums. We really sucked. Half the time I would throw a hissy fit and leave games early because one of my wingers would opt to take a shot from behind the goal line rather than make a centering feed, or something along those lines.

When I first made the HS Devo team, I was in 5th grade and the oldest kid on the team was 14 or so, and this bigger guy was kind of taking runs at me during a game so the 14 year old went up to him, dropped his gloves, grabbed him by his face shield and punched him with his bare hand. He broke his hand and the other kid just had a messed up face shield. After that he took a run at me in the neutral zone and I did the cheap move of dropping to my hands and knees and he went flying over me and messed up his shoulder. That was pretty cool.

Maverick

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

I was pretty good, but never really got far enough to show it.

What type of a hockey player were you ?

Two-way defenseman...Good skater, moved the puck well...Responsible defensively, but with the ability to join the rush and play on the PP or PK.

Highest level you played hockey at ?

Drafted to the OHL (45th overall (3rd round) to the Kitchener Rangers). Would have played for sure, but got a serious concussion in camp and had to quit hockey when I was 16 due to post-concussion syndrome (still experiencing symptoms!).

The most amazing moment in my hockey career was easily having Bobby Orr come to my house to ask me if he could represent me as my agent. He was somewhat of an idol to me as a kid, although I'm not old enough to have seen him play live. After the OHL draft, I received a gift from Bobby...an autographed Bruins jersey with #4 and ORR on the back...I think that was pretty f****** awesome myself.

Great thread BTW!

Cheers!

-Mav

gohabsgo2010

Feb 28, 2003
sign Patrick Poulin
There's some talent throughout my family.

My grandfather played for U of Michigan, while both my Uncles laced them up in the AAA Leagues in Toronto, while one of them went on to St Mikes, OHL. I learn alot about the game from the three of them, and my grandfather has been a key figure in my love for the game. In the not too distant future, I'd like to head to a few more Wolverines games. It's nice to have a grandfather that is such good friends with Mr. Berenson :) .

Unfortunately, I've never been more than a houseleaguer. I've always thought that I've got the talent to play for the competitive team, though I haven't been at tryouts for a two seasons now. I plan on playing highschool hockey this season, though. I'd like to show some people that I'm more than just a houseleague talent.

dink182

Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
I sucked. I was only 5'10, 145 and wasn't a great skater. Only thing I had was good hockey sense and vision. Played at college one year and scored about 12 seconds into the *season*. My first shift. Second shift I assisted on our team's 2nd goal of the season. Next game, second shift, I send my center away on a breakaway. He scores, I get another assist. I'm thinking I'm on pace for a huge season. 3 points and I haven't even finished the first period of game 2. You know I played another 14 games that year and finished with 5 points (16GP-1G-4A) :dunno: . How pathetic is that? Never really played since.

Saprykin Fan

Sep 8, 2002
Visit site
hey

well right now now im playing midget AAA, and i am currently protected by Kelowna Rockets of the WHL. though im flip flopping to play WHL or to play college like my brother currently is at colorado college tigers. i figure to go 3 or 4th round like my brother in nhl draft.

well, im starting to mold into a defencemen after many years of playing forward and defence, all last year as a rookie in midget AAA i played forward and defence, never played one position all game. mister utility man :yo: im a offensive defencemen, and a power forward, played 2 years of beginners, scoring 99 goals in one year and 128 in teh second year. played one year of novice AA scoring 78 goals, and skipped the other year of novice to play atom AA. played three years of atom AA. then played bantam AAA for one year, then the new age rule came in and scrwewed me over, so i worked extra hard to make midget AAA when i shoudl still be in bantam. we went 31-4-0-2 in my rookie midget year last year, this year its diffrent story, we really yound and out to a tough 0-3-1 start.

Hockey career highlights ?
-won provincials 6 times, made it to provincails 7 times.
-won winter games in 2000
-got team playoff mvp last year in midget AAA, 5 points in 5 games on Defence.
- was in program of exxcellence for under 17.
- fought dan bertram in training camp(2005 top prospect), kicked the **** out of him lol, it was funny hes so lippy on the ice but great off the ice, were pretty good friends now.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
John Flyers Fan said:

Never any threat to play in the NHL, mainly due to my size, maxed out in my playing career at 5'6, 130 lbs.

I was a very good all-around centerman. Think Doug Gilmour/Bobby Clarke type. Highest level I played at was in college for Penn St. Univ.

Highlights, my Bantam team won our district and the Mid-America region, and went to Nationals where we placed 8th in the country.

When I was 15 they took a select team from the Philadelphia area and put a team together, we went over and played teams in Germany for two weeks.

Leading scorer and MVP of my high school league as a senior in high school. I was the best player in easten PA as a senior.

As a sophmore at Penn St. I lead the team in every stat (goals, assists, +/-, ppg, shg, and even pim's) Very rare because for my career i was almost never in the penalty box.

Never got to play my Senior season due to a re-aggravation of an old shoulder injury.

When did you play for PSU, you guys beat up on every team you play...its suprising seeing such a dominate team get hardly any attention outside of main campus

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
How good was I? Well I sucked big time. Attended hockey practice a couple of times as a kid but had problem even skating so I gave that up for track and field. Now I'm a slacker and I play some basketball occasionally. :)

garry

Oct 13, 2003
PA
Visit site
JDB3939 said:
I was one of the most heavily recruited defensemen to prep schools in Western PA when I was in 5th grade. I had scholarship offers to at least 5 major prep schools in my area to play hockey(2 were part academic part hockey). I was set on going to Shady Side Academy (They had their own rink and were building a hell of a program. Promised me all the ice time I wanted), then I moved to Ft. Wayne, IN. And my development was severly stunted playing against the crap competition out there. Won the top defenseman, MVP, goals, and points titles both years playing there. I got fed up with the game and quit playing on a league level after that.

I was a tough 2 way defenseman. Led my league in assists, goals, and PIM for a defenseman almost every year I played. Mastered open ice hitting by age 10(my dad was a Pee Wee coach so I got a head start). I started mainly out as a "wrecking ball", being short and hitting everything in sight until I realized scoring was just as fun as hitting. Moved back to PA and played hockey until my school's hockey program fell apart when I hit 9th grade (I'm a senior now). And thanks to PIHL regulations, I'm not allowed to play for a neighboring school district.

Hockey career highlights ?
Winning a playoff title by scoring in a shootout. Having a 11 point game in a tournament (3 goals 8 assists). Setting a league record for 148 hits in 15 league games. Winning top defenseman trophy in my age group every year I played.
Shadyside only built the rink like 8 years ago and then there was not 5 major prep schools in the area that had hockey. 2 They never had a hell of a program for prep school you have to be in the north east not around pittsburgh and ohio. and 3 they didnt give scholarships for just hockey to any of the prep schools around there. But had to give for academics and you had to play a certain number of sports to go there. And im guessing u played pahl hockey which isn't that good and most people can be an offensive defensemen and lead there team in scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad