How good is Toews

What is Toews Right Now

• Total voters

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He’s an ideal 2C. I couldn’t name 30 centers better than him, but with the way he’s playing now, I think you want him at 2C if you’re going for a cup.

Reactions: SotasicA

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
For me personally i imagine players for a contending team and where i would slot him. 2C would be the perfect spot for Toews, so i voted 2C.

His production is in the 50’s these days. And he can still be used as a match-up guy. So he’s still a good player.

But as far as 1C goes, there’s just not enough offense. He gets points here and there but it seems to me like Toews taking over the game and coming up with big offensive plays in key times to win it for his team is very rare these days. You just don’t see him shine that way, like he did more frequently when he was younger and producing at 0.8-0.9 PPG paces. I remember the days where the Hawks would beat someone and i’d go ”damn, Toews again?”.

Nowdays most of the time he’s just kinda there, doing his thing. Often very quietly, which is not always a good thing when he’s your 1C.

He’s never been a wizard offensively but he does have skill, and when he competed with passion and hunger that skill also came out. From my observation some of that is gone. After winning all those cups and getting big paydays, doing the captain and a leader thing year in year out etc. maybe gradually hockey became more of a actual job for him, idk.

Reactions: Regal

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
So Bergeron hasn't been a #1 C 2 of the last 4 years?

Bergeron is not your typical number 1 center. The bruins have krejci and Bergy who are two very good number 2's but bergy is the center that plays your top lines and shuts you down while scoring.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Bergeron is not your typical number 1 center. The bruins have krejci and Bergy who are two very good number 2's but bergy is the center that plays your top lines and shuts you down while scoring.

Sure, and while Toews isn't at Bergeron's level in that regard he's still one of the best centers at doing the same. My only point was that most people consider Bergeron an elite center and I'm not sure Toews is so far away in the rest of his game with similar or better point totals most years that he's not even a low end 1C

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Sure, and while Toews isn't at Bergeron's level in that regard he's still one of the best centers at doing the same. My only point was that most people consider Bergeron an elite center and I'm not sure Toews is so far away in the rest of his game with similar or better point totals most years that he's not even a low end 1C

Toews has a lot of external things going against him as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->