How Good is this NHL Draft?

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
I don't think you understand how HFBoards works. Last year's draft was good, this year's draft is over-rated, next year's draft will be incredible. The numbers on the calendar are irrelevant. Don't worry, if you hang around awhile you'll get the hang of it!
Is it incredible?!? I am a 2-3 hour drive from Vancouver so watching a deep class get drafted would be great

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
draft is lacking the big time offensive producers, so it might not look as sexy as past drafts. defenseman are "boring" because they usually take time to deliver.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
2018 draft overall=2009 draft overall
2015>2016>2017>2013>2018>2011>2014>2012
Pretty average draft with potential to move up.
IMO

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That's just what i heard, 9 good players and no depth

Then you've heard from very incorrect sources.

It's a pretty strong draft. As has already been said a few times, when guys like Veleno, McIsaac, and Wilde are projected to be mid 1st rounders... That's a sign of a some quality depth.

I think it'll be very comparable to the 2016 draft. A really strong top end with Dahlin/Svech/Zadina/Tkachuk rivaling(And IMO a better combo) Matthews/Laine/PLD/Poolparty. And after that, still lots of quality prospects to fill out the rest of the first round as well. 2016 had the likes of McAvoy, Sergachev, Chychrun, Fabbro, Keller, Tkachuk, Jost, etc taken after it. I think Hughes, McIsaac, Dobson, Boqvist, Veleno, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi, etc. stack up extremely favorably to that same group from 2016.

To me, they're quite similar drafts in terms of top end talent and in terms of depth through the 1st round.

2018 draft overall=2009 draft overall
2015>2016>2017>2013>2018>2011>2014>2012
Pretty average draft with potential to move up.
IMO

Yahhhh, no that's not accurate at all. It's still early and the 2017 draft has room to improve. But right now it's nowhere near that high on the pecking order.

I dont think you'd find a single person who prefers the 2017 draft class to 2013. The 2013 draft is still not even 5 years old, and in the Top 10 alone it now has 2 elite 1C's in Mackinnon and Barkov, another couple strong 1/2 Centers in Horvat/Monahan. A bordering elite #1D in Jones. And a pair of very good #2/3 Dmen in Nurse/Ristolainen.

And only a single "bust" in the Top 10 in Nichushkin, who could very well prove to be a good player when he eventually returns to the NHL.

We'll have to wait and see for a few years, but I dont think the 2017 draft will come close to that kind of talent being produced from it. Only Hischier and Petersson have legit 1C upside without vastly exceeding expectations and neither of them are locks to be 1C's by any stretch. And on the back end, Makar and Heiskanen both project much more to be along the lines of what Ristolainen and Nurse are in the league more so then what Jones is.

The 2017 draft is actually on the weaker side. When all is said and done I expect it to match up with the 2014 draft in terms of talent. A lot of disappointment especially at the very top, but a few good players sprinkled in the rest of the Top 10 and down through the draft to keep it well ahead of the 2012 draft.

Last edited:

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Is it incredible?!? I am a 2-3 hour drive from Vancouver so watching a deep class get drafted would be great

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. Basically every year by the time draft day roles around half this board is saying "weak draft", but they're all convince next year will be great.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Sorry, I was being sarcastic. Basically every year by the time draft day roles around half this board is saying "weak draft", but they're all convince next year will be great.
How good does this draft actually look when you don't just be overly humble? and how good is the next one without being overly hyped?

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
How good does this draft actually look when you don't just be overly humble? and how good is the next one without being overly hyped?

I would say this year's draft looks a little above average, with a lot of good D. Don't know about next year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Good draft but not exceptional like most people (myself included) were thinking it would be at the start of last season. Probably the best defense draft since 2008 though a lot of undersized guys on the back end which always concerns me.

It's a pretty strong draft. As has already been said a few times, when guys like Veleno, McIsaac, and Wilde are projected to be mid 1st rounders... That's a sign of a some quality depth.

I think it'll be very comparable to the 2016 draft. A really strong top end with Dahlin/Svech/Zadina/Tkachuk rivaling(And IMO a better combo) Matthews/Laine/PLD/Poolparty. And after that, still lots of quality prospects to fill out the rest of the first round as well. 2016 had the likes of McAvoy, Sergachev, Chychrun, Fabbro, Keller, Tkachuk, Jost, etc taken after it. I think Hughes, McIsaac, Dobson, Boqvist, Veleno, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi, etc. stack up extremely favorably to that same group from 2016.

To me, they're quite similar drafts in terms of top end talent and in terms of depth through the 1st round.

Yahhhh, no that's not accurate at all. It's still early and the 2017 draft has room to improve. But right now it's nowhere near that high on the pecking order.

I dont think you'd find a single person who prefers the 2017 draft class to 2013. The 2013 draft is still not even 5 years old, and in the Top 10 alone it now has 2 elite 1C's in Mackinnon and Barkov, another couple strong 1/2 Centers in Horvat/Monahan. A bordering elite #1D in Jones. And a pair of very good #2/3 Dmen in Nurse/Ristolainen.

And only a single "bust" in the Top 10 in Nichushkin, who could very well prove to be a good player when he eventually returns to the NHL.

We'll have to wait and see for a few years, but I dont think the 2017 draft will come close to that kind of talent being produced from it. Only Hischier and Petersson have legit 1C upside without vastly exceeding expectations and neither of them are locks to be 1C's by any stretch. And on the back end, Makar and Heiskanen both project much more to be along the lines of what Ristolainen and Nurse are in the league more so then what Jones is.

The 2017 draft is actually on the weaker side. When all is said and done I expect it to match up with the 2014 draft in terms of talent. A lot of disappointment especially at the very top, but a few good players sprinkled in the rest of the Top 10 and down through the draft to keep it well ahead of the 2012 draft.

Ehhhh I'd put Mittlestadt and Necas in that group as well, mind you Casey will never be the #1 in Buffalo but both project like it wouldn't be a stretch to say that either could end up as a mid-level #1 C.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Good draft but not exceptional like most people (myself included) were thinking it would be at the start of last season. Probably the best defense draft since 2008 though a lot of undersized guys on the back end which always concerns me.

Ehhhh I'd put Mittlestadt and Necas in that group as well, mind you Casey will never be the #1 in Buffalo but both project like it wouldn't be a stretch to say that either could end up as a mid-level #1 C.

I think they'd both have to exceed expectations pretty significantly to reach that level.

Now, I would say for Necas especially, his draft + 1 season so far has been way above expectations and maybe the argument is creeping in that he could be that type of player for the Canes.

Not buying Mittelstadt though. He hasn't done anything to me yet in his draft + 1 to suggest he can be a 1C, and especially with Eichel already in Buffalo that will hinder his chances to show that ability as well.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
I think with Mcissac and Veleno being available in the mid to late teens shows its a pretty good draft. top 10 lots of sub 5'11 dmans which can be risky.

only because they have been overhyped for the longest time

but not really more than mid to late players
putting things back in perspective

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I heard this draft is stacked and is tremendously deep. No idea where the bashing comes from. Probably from fans whose teams traded their first or second rounders away. You can get tremendous defenseman and forward prospects with size in the 20's in this draft. Even right handed defenseman.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I heard this draft is stacked and is tremendously deep. No idea where the bashing comes from. Probably from fans whose teams traded their first or second rounders away. You can get tremendous defenseman and forward prospects with size in the 20's in this draft. Even right handed defenseman.
Annual tradition around here...

Reactions: DaveG

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
I would flip.

I would have seen the Isles win the lottery, Devils have won it TWICE in recent years, Phil climb to 2nd last year, Caps move up to 1st and pick Ovie and of course the Penguins with all the shenanigans year after year...

What a joke it has been in this division.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Its a good draft if your a lotto team needing a defenseman, otherwise its alright

Yep, but I'd add that there is a generational defenseman in Dahlin.

Guess that's the reason teams like Chicago, Montreal, and NYR are tanking hard this season. Teams that have no real reason for being in that position.

Also, this seems to be a better year for 1st round defensemen going by the draft predictions.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

Look at the later portion of the 2017 and compare it to 2013. Blows it out of the water even now. The top 10 is a little in 2013s favor but I think Hischier will be better than Mackinnon and Barkov.
Its not fact that ones better than the other, its opinion.
If you are saying producing more nhl players, then maybe, but if you are talking about top 6 elite talent produced, 2017>>>>>2013

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Look at the later portion of the 2017 and compare it to 2013. Blows it out of the water even now. The top 10 is a little in 2013s favor but I think Hischier will be better than Mackinnon and Barkov.
Its not fact that ones better than the other, its opinion.
If you are saying producing more nhl players, then maybe, but if you are talking about top 6 elite talent produced, 2017>>>>>2013
2017 has produced exactly one top 6 players, maybe 2 at the moment. 2013 has already produced a bunch (I know this is unfair given time of development). Eventually, the busts will start to emerge for 2017, similar to how they did for 2013. Everyone is just optimistic about the 2017 guys because they haven't proven to be failures yet. Most drafts stay pretty similar after the top 10, so to point to the busts in the 20's of 2013, and expecting it to be different for 2017 is a bit off. About 35% of players drafted between 20 and 30 become some sort of valuable core piece. 65% tend to become waiver fodder, 4th liners or bottom pairing defenders. I don't expect that to dramatically change. I'd identify atleast 4 valuable core pieces in the 20 to 30 range of 2013 that are long-term Top 9 players or top 4 defenders in Shea Theodore, Andre Burahowsky, Mantha and Hartman. 4 of the top 6 in 2017 can be labeled franchise players, that is a bar very few drafts match.

So far 2013 has produced 3 bonafide #1 C's, and a clear franchise defender in the top 10. Then you have guys like Slavin later on.

Edit: To illustrate the point, here is the average return of players drafted between 21 and 25, and 26 and 30 from 2005 and 2012. With each player being grouped into a tier. You can disagree with the placements, but I don't think anyone is more than a tier off. I'd also point out, its hard to compare a guy entering their prime to a guy exiting there's in 2005.

Superstars (1)
Claude Giroux
Stars (2)
Tuuka Rask
Max Pacioretty
Top line/Top pairing/Starter (3)
TJ Oshie
Semyon Varlamov
Jordan Eberle
Top 4/Top 6/Fringe starter
Mikkel Backlund
Marcus Johansson
Kevin Hayes
Olli Maata
3rd liner/5th D/Backup
Andrew Cogliano
Patrik Berglund
Riley Sheahan
Mark Pysyk
Michael Matheson
Mark Jankowski
4th liner/6th D/flameout/AHL Starter with potential
John Moore
Joe Morrow
Matt Puempel
Malcolm Subban
Jordan Schmaltz
Rielly Nash
Outright bust
Nicklas Bergfors
Jonathan Blum
Patrick White
Bobby Sanguietti
Dennis Persson
Anton Gustafsson
Tyler Cuma
Mattias Tedenby
Greg Nemisz
Jordan Schroeder
Tim Erixon
Jordan Caron
Jarrod Tinordi
Quinten Howden
Stefan Noesen
Tyler Biggs
Stuart Percy
Matt Lashoff

and here is 26-30

26-30
Superstars (0)

Stars (0)

Top line/Top pairing/Starter (5)

Matt Niskanen
Nick Foligno
John Carlson
Evegeni Kuznetsov
Rikard Rakel
Top 4/Top 6/Fringe starter (5)
David Perron
Kyle Palmieri
Charlie Coyle
Brock Nelson
Brady Skjei
3rd liner/5th D/Backup (7)
Steve Downie
Brendan Smith
Simon Despres
Philip Danault
Vladislav Namestinkov
Tanner Pearson
Tyler Ennis
4th liner/6th D/flameout/AHL Starter with potential (3)
Emerson Etem
Brendan Gaunce
Stefan Matteau
Outright bust (20)
Matt Pelech
Joe Finley
Vladimir Mihalik
Leland Irving
Ivan Vishnevskiy
Chris Summers
Matt Corrente
Nick Petrecki
Jim O’Brien
Nick Ross
Viktor Tikhanov
Daulten Leveille
Tom McCollum
Dylan Olsen
Carter Ashton
Phillippe Paradis
Mark Visentin
Zach Phillips
Nicklas Jensen
Henrik Samuelsson

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
2017 has produced exactly one top 6 players, maybe 2 at the moment. 2013 has already produced a bunch (I know this is unfair given time of development). Eventually, the busts will start to emerge for 2017, similar to how they did for 2013. Everyone is just optimistic about the 2017 guys because they haven't proven to be failures yet. Most drafts stay pretty similar after the top 10, so to point to the busts in the 20's of 2013, and expecting it to be different for 2017 is a bit off. About 35% of players drafted between 20 and 30 become some sort of valuable core piece. 65% tend to become waiver fodder, 4th liners or bottom pairing defenders. I don't expect that to dramatically change. I'd identify atleast 4 valuable core pieces in the 20 to 30 range of 2013 that are long-term Top 9 players or top 4 defenders in Shea Theodore, Andre Burahowsky, Mantha and Hartman. 4 of the top 6 in 2017 can be labeled franchise players, that is a bar very few drafts match.

So far 2013 has produced 3 bonafide #1 C's, and a clear franchise defender in the top 10. Then you have guys like Slavin later on.
In the first round, I only see one top pairing defenseman (jones who is a number 1) and theodore has the potential to be a number 1 (maybe nurse too). Sorry if people think Ristolainen is a top pairing dman, he's just on a really bad team to get those minutes. I just see more capable top pairing dmen in 2017 draft class.
On the other hand, the centers in the 2013 draft might outweigh the centers from the 2017 on the position itself, but there are a lot more elite offensive talents in the 2017 draft class imo. Players outside the top 10: Vesalainen, Tolvanen, Vilardi, Necas, Frost, Thomas have all had pretty great d+1 seasons so far and I'd project the class as a whole to be better than 2013.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In the first round, I only see one top pairing defenseman (jones who is a number 1) and theodore has the potential to be a number 1 (maybe nurse too). Sorry if people think Ristolainen is a top pairing dman, he's just on a really bad team to get those minutes. I just see more capable top pairing dmen in 2017 draft class.
On the other hand, the centers in the 2013 draft might outweigh the centers from the 2017 on the position itself, but there are a lot more elite offensive talents in the 2017 draft class imo. Players outside the top 10: Vesalainen, Tolvanen, Vilardi, Necas, Frost, Thomas have all had pretty great d+1 seasons so far and I'd project the class as a whole to be better than 2013.
I think you are being too optimistic on 2017 because the busts have yet to emerge, while you can look at 2013 with hindsight. A bunch of the 2013 guys had very impressive draft +1's. Look at Mantha, Morrissey, Max Domi, Pulock, Lazar, Kerby Rychel, Poirier, etc.

I think its unlikely that the first round as a whole, creates an equivalent of Jones, Barkov, Mackinnon, and Monahan. That is an extremely strong top of the draft, and then there are a quite a few other guys who fit into teams cores.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I think you are being too optimistic on 2017 because the busts have yet to emerge, while you can look at 2013 with hindsight. A bunch of the 2013 guys had very impressive draft +1's. Look at Mantha, Morrissey, Max Domi, Pulock, Lazar, Kerby Rychel, Poirier, etc.

I think its unlikely that the first round as a whole, creates an equivalent of Jones, Barkov, Mackinnon, and Monahan. That is an extremely strong top of the draft, and then there are a quite a few other guys who fit into teams cores.
I'm still sticking with my opinion, just because I see in my mind how players will project to the nhl level, not that all of them will (Ill be wrong on some of them), but you make some very valid points. I do agree that the top 10 of 2017 will not produce an equal caliber to monahan, Barkov, Mackinnon, and jones. Although I think Monahan is the weakest out of the 4.
Btw, I'm calling that Vahkainen, POJ, and brannstrom busts out of the defense.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Yep, but I'd add that there is a generational defenseman in Dahlin.

Guess that's the reason teams like Chicago, Montreal, and NYR are tanking hard this season. Teams that have no real reason for being in that position.

Also, this seems to be a better year for 1st round defensemen going by the draft predictions.
I'm thinking it's not necessarily Dahlin they're tanking for.

Montreal is more due to ineptitude
Chicago finally regressed as some of their stars just started their decline - plus losing Crawford....
The Rangers were surprising, though it's a little late in the year to decide to tank. Theyve got a lot of teams to fall to in order to have a reasonable shot. All they are going to do is improve their draft position with a slim chance of getting #1. They were able to recognize that their core was about to get stale, unlike lots of other teams (cough cough Vancouver)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad