How Good is this NHL Draft?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Average. One clear franchise level talent, a few elite level prospects and tons of prospects with high upside but major question marks. I think this is the worst draft for centers I can think of since 2012. This is the year to pick a dman.
2012 was even better for center a of you don’t use hindsight. Galy and Grigorenko were better than the top 2 centered in this class.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think it might be one of the most over rated drafts in a long long time. Not to say I think it is bad. I have a hard time buying into the hype of this draft class with the just pure lack of any decent talent up the middle. Pretty glaring flaw.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Dahlin is a Karlsson-esque stud. Generational D-man.
Svech, Boqvist and Zadina have a ton of potential
Not sure about Hughes, Bouchard and everyone else

I know. Extremely helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Seeing as Detroit will have 7 picks in the first three rounds, I'm OK with the draft being loaded on the defensive side...

Reactions: Devonator

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Lots of late first round picks was being swaped this trade deadline. So I'm assuming many teams don't feel that the later players in the draft are not that good?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I think it might be one of the most over rated drafts in a long long time. Not to say I think it is bad. I have a hard time buying into the hype of this draft class with the just pure lack of any decent talent up the middle. Pretty glaring flaw.

I agree here. Maybe the HF centre bias has taken hold of me, but the lack of them is pretty glaring. Forget franchise or elite, does this 1st round even project to have a top 6 centre?

I'm sure there are bunch of, "yes, if...." answers to my question, but you want the sure thing or at least be close to it. Watch the best centre be a Brayden Point type in the 3rd round.

I do like the defenceman a lot in this draft. I think there will be a lot of happy teams in that regard.

As for the wingers. Yes they look good. But I'm finding wingers are getting tricky to project.

I think this will be a year where you really see which scouts should be paid the big bucks.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

Pretty much the same most years no? Teams pay up multiple picks to move up every year. last 2 drafts:
29 and 70 to get 26, 44, 75, 108 to get 35, 12 and 80 to get 11, 20 and 53 to get 16, 28 et 87 to get 26, 38 et 89 to get 33, 22 et 36 for 18 et 79, 39, 40 et 156 to get 31

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Sounds like it's an average draft from listening to scouts and player development types.
Some are higher and lower on it but i'm sure if i'd been keeping track the consensus would be about average.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Sounds like it's an average draft from listening to scouts and player development types.
Some are higher and lower on it but i'm sure if i'd been keeping track the consensus would be about average.
They said the same thing last year.

Top end is better this year, and i feel there is some good depth to it. Some of these lower ranked forwards will surprise and a lot of good defensemen will come out of this draft.

As to GM's trading picks as a sign of a weak draft, Most of the trades were for guys with term, Nash and Stastny deals were the only 1sts moved for rentals

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not a top draft class. Definitely not a good time to be tanking

Well, the top of the class isn’t the issue. Whoever gets Dahlin and Svechnikov are going to be VERY happy.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
its good. been watching drafts for the past 20 plus years, this draft despite the lack of elite centers has mountains of depth on the wing and defense. It is a solid B draft right now...the weird thing on here is a draft always looks better 2-3 years out, then when that draft actually comes that year it starts to look a bit weaker...then in 2-3 years after the draft it turns into an even better draft than originally thought!!! who knew right??

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The 2018 Draft is Said to be Great in the top 10, But bad afterwards.

How good is this draft?

I think it's definitely a good draft but not a great one unlike 2010-2016.

What do you think?

I don't think you understand how HFBoards works. Last year's draft was good, this year's draft is over-rated, next year's draft will be incredible. The numbers on the calendar are irrelevant. Don't worry, if you hang around awhile you'll get the hang of it!

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
The way it works is that if you are trying to rebuild and it's a critical draft for you,, then yes it's clearly a deep and talented draft.:rolleyes:

Overall it's really not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad