How Good is this NHL Draft?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Have the opposite opinion of most in this thread,

More quality deeper into the 1st than last year IMO. Going to be a lot of good d-men and wingers coming in this draft, probably going later in the 1st.

More top heavy, with 3 well defined tiers for the top 3 players then a drop off after.

Excellent year to be drafting D, they are hard to project and they are littered throughout.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Bad year for Centers(no potential Franchise Centers other than Veleno and Wahlstrom but that’s an extraordinary longshot).

Absolute golden year for Defencemen, best in a long long time.

Great year for talented Wingers as well.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Great year for D's. Meh for forwards. Meh for goaliees aswell. Gravel, Rodrigue & Skarek will get drafted, with Skarek being the best goalie prospect.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Have the opposite opinion of most in this thread,

More quality deeper into the 1st than last year IMO. Going to be a lot of good d-men and wingers coming in this draft, probably going later in the 1st.

More top heavy, with 3 well defined tiers for the top 3 players then a drop off after.

Excellent year to be drafting D, they are hard to project and they are littered throughout.

I would even take it out to about ~50 really solid players. I understand thinking the back end of the lottery is weaker than other years, but once you get beyond that, there are so many guys I could see being worth a late 1st. Sometimes that's not a compliment, but this year it is.

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
I do not understand the whole "there's no depth in this draft" talk. There are plenty of good players that will be picked in the late first, second round and third round this year. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if there was more quality players from this years draft than from last years draft.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
I get the feeling its on the weaker side and the fact it is so D heavy in the first round also makes it riskier IMO since projecting D-man future NHL success is more "hit or miss" than F position.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I remember when everyone was saying how much last year sucked.

Last year was supposed to be bad according to HFboards. Turned out to be very good and deep draft.

So...wrong place to ask

People who don't follow the draft in depth often make the false association that the draft is a good as the top-end is, which obviously isn't always the case, last year had no exceptional high-end prospects like Dahlin or Svechnikov, but it was deep after that with very small separation between the prospects.

Virtually every 2017 1st rounder is doing well right now, to add to this the beginning of the 2nd round; Timmins, Lind, Hague is like an extension of the first round, all worthy of being 1st rounders, many other strong 2nd rounders after that and it continues into the later rounds.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Let’s wait and see how 2017 stacks up. 2016, 2015 and 2013 all had more players making a good impact in the NHL in their first post year. It’s looking better than expected, but it doesn’t look any better than average at best.

This draft is average in my eyes. Better at the top than 2017, 2014 and 2012.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Average. One clear franchise level talent, a few elite level prospects and tons of prospects with high upside but major question marks. I think this is the worst draft for centers I can think of since 2012. This is the year to pick a dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad