How good is the Icelandic league?

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I don't know if there already is a thread for this, but how good is the Icelandic hockey league compared to, let's say, Swedish and Finnish lower leagues? Are the top players on a level of the 4th/5th division in Sweden or Finland? :handclap:

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I think it is only at an amateur or at best semi-pro level. Their national team is 33rd, behind Australia. The population is so small and I doubt they have many rinks. The Wikipedia page states they have 6 teams from 2 cities so I wouldn't be surprised if they only had 2 Arenas in the whole country. Reykjavik isn't a big city, and you can walk through "downtown" Akureyri in about 8 minutes.

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Yeah I think if ice hockey was the main and pretty much only sport on Iceland, then it could probably produce some good players and they could create a pretty good league.

But I think that football is the biggest sport there? So a lot of talent and interest is lost for ice hockey's part.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's only amateur-level. But I have no idea how good the players are on 4th or 5th level of Swedish hockey so I really don't know how good Iceland hockey is compared to them.

I would like to know aswell..

Always wondered why they used Iceland in Mighty Ducks.

Well that's pretty simple, they just wanted to avoid any real "bad guy" associations or politics (no real hockey nation wants to have their players pictured as enemies in a Hollywood, even more so, Disney movie) so they had to either make up a fake country or a better way was to find a real one which would seem believable (you can't plant a dominant hockey team in Peru). That leaves very few options and Iceland as a Nordic European country fitted the bill perfectly.

Last edited:

ElQuapo

May 11, 2010
The level is definately not very high.

For example, som danish players who were 4th line/reserve players in the Danish League seem to be superstars with 2-3 points pr. game after moving to Iceland.

I would rate it even lower than the 2nd level in Denmark, which itself is very low level.

talenttracer

Nov 7, 2007
Whooot

The level is definately not very high.

For example, som danish players who were 4th line/reserve players in the Danish League seem to be superstars with 2-3 points pr. game after moving to Iceland.

I would rate it even lower than the 2nd level in Denmark, which itself is very low level.

We need to get a team from Iceland in to the Danish, Jyllandsserie syd, imagine how drunk you cant get, on the ferry home.

feitur

Apr 21, 2013
Iceland has 3 teams, two of them are located in Reykjavík, that's Skautafélag Reykjavíkur (SR), their rink is in Laugardalur, close to the downtown area, the other is called Björninn, they are located in the suburb of Grafarvogur.
And then we have Skautafélag Akureyrar (SA), in Akureyri, which is the biggest town outside of the Reykjavík area, it's located in the north of Iceland.

Each team sends two teams to the "major league"
One of them is their main team and the other consists mainly of young guys coming up (I think)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00