How good is the DEL?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Eagle Eye Cherry, May 10, 2015.

1. Sanderson

Sanderson Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    I can't really think of any team that has just one skilled line. Maybe the very bottom is top-heavy with its lineup, but I wouldn't see that as standard for the league. As a matter of fact, I'd say the top-teams have loaded up with talent, München, Mannheim, etc have so much talent that some good players even have to sit when everyone is healthy.

That obviously doesn't mean that the best players are a match for the best players of better European leagues.

2. Albatros

Albatros Registered User

Those are the richest two, München operates with a budget of 12 million euros a year while teams in the other end have 4 million or even less at their disposal. So the noteworthy German talent can be found in a couple of cities with only a few individuals calling home elsewhere. Instead many teams still resort to importing busloads of no-name North American journeymen and hope to get lucky.

3. HPsauce

HPsauce Registered User

How much are players salaries in the DEL? I'm curious what a top line point producer would make, as well as how much a bottom six grinder, with little offense to give.

4. Albatros

Albatros Registered User

Broadly speaking DEL players earn 80 000 - 150 000 € netto per season, a big star could make more still. In DEL2 it's 10 000 - 60 000 €. Players are also looked after much more than is typical in North America, things like apartments and cars are usually provided by the club.

Contracts are typically just 9 months long, so that players are officially unemployed 3 months each year and get additional social money from the government based on their previous high salary before "unemployment", sometimes these sums too are in five digits. Although legal, it is of course a very dubious arrangement morally speaking.

4h4b likes this.
  5. alko

alko Registered User

Home Page:
    Im surprised, why so few Slovak players are (were) there playing. Is there any reason?

I mean, it is good league with good paychecks. Why in Czech league we have about 50 players and in DEL only 1! ?