How good is Logan Couture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Haven't seen enough of him to give an educated opinion but his entire line seems to have loads of potential.

Some may remember McGinn from his clutch play as a rookie in last year's OHL playoffs and he is averaging nearly a PPG. He's draft eligible next year and should go pretty high. Then there is Lahey who was Ottawa's first rounder in the same draft as McGinn. Injuries have plagued his first 2 seasons but he does have 12 goals in 17 games now in basically his first OHL year. He is also a late 88' so he's eligible next year.

And then of course Couture who is probably the best of them all. Don't know enough about them to gauge their NHL potential but these guys are going to rip up the OHL in the next few years. (they already are at 16/17)

Default101

i'm sure he'll be a great player, just kinda wondering how much his daddy is going to interfere in his NHL career the way he did in his OHL career :shakehead

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Ry-Dogg said:
i'm sure he'll be a great player, just kinda wondering how much his daddy is going to interfere in his NHL career the way he did in his OHL career :shakehead

I hope his dad stays out of his sons hockey business and leaves that up to agent. IMO they need to have some kind of system where theres a deadline for players to able to play in the OHL or if they choose the NCAA route then they can't change their minds.

Coutoure would have gone #1 if it wasn't for Tavares and should've gone #2 but threatened he wouldn't play in the OHL.

I haven't seen him yet, but looking at his jr b stats as a 15 year old and now OHL stats as a 16 year old i'm guessing he has a lot of potential. NHL wise i'm not sure yet but if he keeps improving the way he has so far i'd say a fairly high pick for the 2007 draft (maybe 1st or 2nd round).

Default101

i was pissed when it happened, but i really like Mark Katic, he's a great skater, a solid two-way defenceman, but at the time of the draft i was really pissed off that his father would say if he didn't get what he wanted he wouldn't play in the OHL... however Sarnia won in a little situation like that a few years ago... in the 2001 OHL draft the only way we landed Dan Fritsche was cause his father said he would play in the NCAA unless Plymouth or Erie drafted him... we took him 6th overall and they basically said to his father if a border city isn't good enough for their son then he can sit on the sidelines for 2 years... as you know now he signed and spend 3 seasons there before getting delt to london at the trade deadline :)

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
trahans99 said:
Coutoure would have gone #1 if it wasn't for Tavares and should've gone #2 but threatened he wouldn't play in the OHL.

While he should have gone higher than he went, he was hardly assured of #2. The Gens just preferred Couture but there was a group of nearly half a dozen players that were fairly close. It is my understanding that he was going to slip out of the top five as the teams after the Gens were committed to the players they were taking.

And while I don't like players using the NCAA card to go where they want, I'm willing to give Couture slack in this case. If you're a fiteeen year old kid, getting drafted first overall is a big deal. After being told you are the Gens man, you then find out right before the draft that the rules have been altered and you suddenly find yourself out of the top-5. It'd be hard not to be pissed. Plus there is almost always parental influence in the draft. Whether it is due to location, coaching or whatever, parents are often pulling strings behind the scenes to some degree. This just happened to be a very publicized situation.

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I see this kid play twice a week and he is simply amazing.

Right now, he is playing on a line with Jamie McGinn and Matt Lahey. McGinn should go 2nd or 3rd round in the 2006 NHL Draft IMO. Lahey is a late '88 and will be 2007 eligible. I have not seen Lahey play much, though. He only played 23 games last year due to injuries, and he has only played 16 games this year, and has 15 points.

Couture is a great player. There is a lot of chemistry right now between him, McGinn and Lahey. He has a rocket of a shot, great skater, good passer, and he doesn't shy away from the rough stuff either. He's also very responsible in the defensive zone. I'm glad Killer is giving him PP and some PK time this year. It is probably a huge injection of confidence for Logan. I can definately picture Couture as a top-10 pick in 2007. The sky is the limit for this kid.

Default101

willie said:
While he should have gone higher than he went, he was hardly assured of #2. The Gens just preferred Couture but there was a group of nearly half a dozen players that were fairly close. It is my understanding that he was going to slip out of the top five as the teams after the Gens were committed to the players they were taking.

And while I don't like players using the NCAA card to go where they want, I'm willing to give Couture slack in this case. If you're a fiteeen year old kid, getting drafted first overall is a big deal. After being told you are the Gens man, you then find out right before the draft that the rules have been altered and you suddenly find yourself out of the top-5. It'd be hard not to be pissed. Plus there is almost always parental influence in the draft. Whether it is due to location, coaching or whatever, parents are often pulling strings behind the scenes to some degree. This just happened to be a very publicized situation.

Sarnia was in need of a Forward very bad, basically the obvious word that was around was that Sarnia wanted Couture but was going to settle for a player that had solidly decided to be #2, when Tavares was introduced Couture seemed to be guarenteed a spot in sarnia, he was fairly local, and we've never had the #2 pick overall here, and they weren't going to throw it away for a player who was never gonna play with a team, so they took a player they were happy with at #2, basically if Couture's father hadn't gotten involved we would have seed #89 Couture in the line-up for Sarnia vs. Brampton this afternoon if his daddy didn't get involved

Transported Upstater

From what I gather, Logan Couture and Angelo Esposito were both locks for the #1 pick in the '05 OHL/QMJHL draft, respectively.

The two things that dropped them:

Couture - a) The threat of going NCAA.
b) Two words: John Tavares.

Espo - a) the threat of going NCAA (which was very real; 2 years ago many people thought Angelo was going the NCAA route.)

I personally never thought Couture was going to play in the NCAA's, but I did believe Espo was.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Logan's a dandy

ISS has him ranked to go No. 6 in the 2007 NHL draft. I saw him play last year in St. Thomas and my brother, who lives in London has watched him play for years. Logan has great hands, a quick release and great defensive awareness. He has a good skating stride that will allow him to get faster as he gets stronger. If there's a knock on him, he's a bit timid. He's got to learn to play with a bit more of an edge, just to help give himself some more space. He seems to be doing fine so far with Ottawa. I'm very pleased as I drafted him last year in my keeper league. Was very happy to see he outperformed Tavares in their first head-to-head meeting. Doesn't mean he's better than Tavares, of course, but it shows that Couture has got some chutzpah.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Tjardus Greidanus said:
Terrible.

I picked him in my EHM 2005 franchise and he busted on me :madfire:

;)

I played as the 67s in one of my EHM games, McGinn-Couture-Lahey was a sweet line. McGinn and Couture both ended up as first rounders, Lahey got drafted in the third.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I've seen him a few times and have been impressed. The thing that strikes you are his hands, as the puck just sinks into and sticks to his stick blade. He could play with an egg and not crack it. Very soft hands and a great passer with good vision.

His stride is good, although he doesn't have top end speed yet. But when he does get creative, he widens his stance and changes directions very well. The kind of thing that freezes the defence and makes you sit up and take notice, because you don't see it too often. He creates and uses space well.

He also has good size, although he was timid in his first 12 games or so. But he has gotten much better as the season progresses.

Lahey, Alphonso and McGinn are all solid prospects that will be taken on the first day of their respective drafts.

Overall, the 67's are pretty loaded with young talent. It's a real wonder they are competing for a playoff space given how many 16/17 year olds on the team. It's another thing that makes Kilrea such a great coach (having Battochio and a few vets like Hulit, Talbot and Bickel also helps). But with so many young players, they are going to be a much better team in March, than they were in November, so look out come playoffs, as they could make some noise.

Default101

Scribe said:
ISS has him ranked to go No. 6 in the 2007 NHL draft. I saw him play last year in St. Thomas and my brother, who lives in London has watched him play for years. Logan has great hands, a quick release and great defensive awareness. He has a good skating stride that will allow him to get faster as he gets stronger. If there's a knock on him, he's a bit timid. He's got to learn to play with a bit more of an edge, just to help give himself some more space. He seems to be doing fine so far with Ottawa. I'm very pleased as I drafted him last year in my keeper league. Was very happy to see he outperformed Tavares in their first head-to-head meeting. Doesn't mean he's better than Tavares, of course, but it shows that Couture has got some chutzpah.

wow Where do you find the ISS rankings for 2007? where is Mark Katic?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
He has only average speed right now--that's about his only drawback because he's good 2-ways which is amazing for a 16 year old...hopefully he'll get faster as he gets stronger but in any case he makes up for it with smarts and good vision and good shot--he'll also get even better at net crashing as he gets stronger...lots of good things about him--BUT he won't beat you with speed and as we know at the NHL level ,that helps a lot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad