How good is Devin Setoguchi of the Saskatoon Blades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefty

Mar 1, 2002
Saskatoon
www.myspace.com
Well I haven't seen all three of them enough to be a good judge, but I'd say Setoguchi probably ranks in between Brule and Durand. Put him on any other team and he'd probably have a lot more points.

turnbuckle*

This guy is something else - hell he was even immortalized by Gord Lightfoot in song. "The great Blade they call Setoguchi."

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
He's right up there with Brule. Setoguchi definitely has a bright future ahead of him. He's a good kid who works hard. From what I hear, there's no reason he won't be successful in the future.

Avery4Byng*

Saskatoon is on Sportsnet tonight against Calgary, I believe it is at 630pm pacific....

electric

Jan 16, 2004
Back from Italy
MoS said:
Is Setoguchi japanese? sounds like a japanese surname

I don't know, since he's from Alberta... but he does look kinda Asian. Maybe he has some Japanese ancestors or something.... kinda like Ryan Kuwabara who the Habs drafted a while ago.

MoS*

electric said:
I don't know, since he's from Alberta... but he does look kinda Asian. Maybe he has some Japanese ancestors or something.... kinda like Ryan Kuwabara who the Habs drafted a while ago.

yeah i just checked him out. he is probably half-japanese like paul kariya and david tanabe. i will be rooting for him when he enters the nhl in that case. i am not sure if he is as good as gilbert brule tho. i love brule since i used to follow the vancouver giants and i knew we had a bright fuure when we took brule 1st overall. in 63 games, brule has 57 points and setoguchi has 29 points while both are born on january 1st 1987. i hope setoguchi surpasses brule tho since he has some wicked asian gense. but unfortunately i doubt that will happen tho. the only thing setoguchi has on brule is he is slightly bigger at 5'11 and 175 pounds

Lefty

Mar 1, 2002
Saskatoon
www.myspace.com
It isn't so much a question of icetime as much as a question of linemates. Who does Brule play with? Setoguchi has played with practically everyone, but he often plays alongside Wacey Rabbit and Joe Barnes.

I mean I'm certainly not saying that Setoguchi is as good as Brule because he isn't. Brule is superior offensively and overall, but I think if you put Setoguchi on Vancouver or any other team for that matter he would have a lot more points than he does right now.

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
I would rank Setoguchi and Durand nearly the same in terms of potential with Nick Drazenovic only a little behind the two of them. Setoguchi has all the moves and has great on ice vision. He has set up so many guys this year that he should have way more points only problem is the guys he sets up can't put the puck in the net on wide open chances. Put him on any other team and he would likely have 45 points or so right now but has only 29 playing on the worst CHL team EVER perhaps!

vega007

Setoguchi will be a top ten pick for sure. This guy is great. Yes he is half Japanese, the Setoguchis are a well known family in Southern Alberta. His uncle Bob is an teacher in Lethbridge for the electrical program.

Round John

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site
Setoguchi potential

I think you will see Devin and the rest of the Blades benefit greatly from an organizational change. New management and a different coach who is an excellent teacher and motivator should help to improve the stock of every draft eligible player with Saskatoon or any player coming to the team with NHL dreams.

I am most looking forward to seeing what Devin and a healthy Bjorn Svensson can accomplish. I am hopeful for improvement (really can't go anywhere but up after last season).

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Yeah Setoguchi looks great. Can anyone tell me WTF happened to Wacey Rabbit in terms of scoring? He had a Cory Uquhart sophomore season and his linemate was none other than Devin Setoguchi. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->