How good is Corey Perry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
He's currently leading the OHL in points and even had a scrap tonight!

Has anyone been able to see him a on a regular basis this season? He's listed at 6'3 195lbs which is pretty decent, but I know last season some people were saying he's a skinny kid. Is this still true? I'm sure he's no Anthony Stewart, but.....

Is Perry a lock for the World Junior Team or will he have some work to do?

Hitman*

Well at the draft the TSN desk used the words phenom a couple times. He clearly has talent but I haven't seen him play so I can't comment on it.

I assume that when you lead a league in scoring you are a lock for the camp at least, and unless you blow it there, you should be on the team. IMO, he'll be a lock if we don't get any NHLers.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
re: his weight

He added muscle during the off-season.
Also said to be a poor skater, he improved that aspect of his game as well.

To me, he seems like a guy devoted to improving himself and turning his deficiencies into strengths, a very good sign.
Good pick for the Ducks.

whitesox_2000_22*

No one is really a lock for the team really...Perry has as good as hands of anyone...he has improved his skating but it will be a task for him on the bigger ice in the Euro's....that might be the only concern the coaches would have with him...

Harry Sinbin

Jan 21, 2003
Sarnia, ON
Visit site
HabLover said:
He's currently leading the OHL in points and even had a scrap tonight!

Has anyone been able to see him a on a regular basis this season? He's listed at 6'3 195lbs which is pretty decent, but I know last season some people were saying he's a skinny kid. Is this still true? I'm sure he's no Anthony Stewart, but.....

Is Perry a lock for the World Junior Team or will he have some work to do?

I haven't seen Perry play at all this year, so I can't say how his game has improved. I can confirm that this morning's London Free Press does say that he bulked up to 195 pounds in the off season. (He was really skinny even last year, but I guess you don't have to be huge to be 195 when you're 6'3"). That added size and strength could have a lot to do with his improved stats as he has a very good set of hands and a willingness to get his nose dirty, but, in the past, he could be out-muscled in high traffic areas.

In the past he would retaliate (and even initiate stuff) with his stick a lot and, hopefully, he has reduced that habit.

There are a couple of guys on the Bruins thread from London who have probably seen more of him this year and they might even be willing to give a Habs fan their views if you went over there.

Personally, I can't see him being a lock for the World Junior Team since he wasn't even at the summer camp, but I'm sure he'll get an invite to the final evaluation camp and, with so many guys still in the NHL, he would have a good shot at making it.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Harry Sinbin said:
I haven't seen Perry play at all this year, so I can't say how his game has improved. I can confirm that this morning's London Free Press does say that he bulked up to 195 pounds in the off season. (He was really skinny even last year, but I guess you don't have to be huge to be 195 when you're 6'3"). That added size and strength could have a lot to do with his improved stats as he has a very good set of hands and a willingness to get his nose dirty, but, in the past, he could be out-muscled in high traffic areas.

In the past he would retaliate (and even initiate stuff) with his stick a lot and, hopefully, he has reduced that habit.

There are a couple of guys on the Bruins thread from London who have probably seen more of him this year and they might even be willing to give a Habs fan their views if you went over there.

Personally, I can't see him being a lock for the World Junior Team since he wasn't even at the summer camp, but I'm sure he'll get an invite to the final evaluation camp and, with so many guys still in the NHL, he would have a good shot at making it.
The biggest difference is that teams pay less attention to Corey than they did last year........A season ago the Knights were a two player team with Wideman and Perry, obviously teams keyed in on Perry in a big way. With players like Schremp, Sheppard, Richmond and Karaga joining the Knights and the emergence of Dylan Hunter, Bolland and Prust.....it's impossible for the opposition to have two guys draped all over Perry for the entire game.

With the extra room this year Perry has put on incredible stick handling displays that rival those put on by Rick Nash a couple seasons ago. Aside from Stickhanling he's also a great passer/playmaker, has a bullet shot that is also accurate and is a very reliable defensive player.

Perry still struggles with Balance at times, but is able to skate through some checks that probably would have brought him down last year.....still falls down too much though, if Perry continues to fill out his frame, his balance will hopefully improve.

Perry can handle the physical play fine, if he survived the beating he took last season, at his size, than it will only become less of a factor as he gets bigger......and that has been the case so far this season, as he has been dealing out as much punishment as he has been taking.

The WJC seems like a crapshoot this season, but Perry is definitely in the mix, the head scout has been in attendence for a couple of Perry's best games this year, and told the London Free Press that players who weren't invited to the camp will still be given serious consideration.(Referring to Perry)

Harry Sinbin

Jan 21, 2003
Sarnia, ON
Visit site
Boomhower said:
The biggest difference is that teams pay less attention to Corey than they did last year........A season ago the Knights were a two player team with Wideman and Perry, obviously teams keyed in on Perry in a big way. With players like Schremp, Sheppard, Richmond and Karaga joining the Knights and the emergence of Dylan Hunter, Bolland and Prust.....it's impossible for the opposition to have two guys draped all over Perry for the entire game.

That makes a lot of sense. I've seen him take a lot of muggings in the past.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
He's desperately overrated. As one Nhl scout put it "he couldn't tie Brad Richardson's skates".

He will obviously be putting up points in London because of the talent level he plays with. Don't put too much into this kid's hype, he's soft and gets pushed off the puck really easily. Unless he changes his game he'll never have the style of game to make it big in the NHL.

Garnet

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Onespeedonly- When was the last time you seen Corey play??? I live outside London and have been to most of the games. Perry did have major problems fighting through checks last year but this year is a different story. The kid has gotten a lot stronger in the off season and has a great set of hands. I m the guy who thought the Ducks were silly to take him in the first round. This year he has a great supporting cast and teams can't just shadow him like last year. Much improved player and a good pick and will be on the WJC team. Maybe not the greatest skater but play with heart and desire for the puck.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
OneSpeedOnly said:
He's desperately overrated. As one Nhl scout put it "he couldn't tie Brad Richardson's skates".

He will obviously be putting up points in London because of the talent level he plays with. Don't put too much into this kid's hype, he's soft and gets pushed off the puck really easily. Unless he changes his game he'll never have the style of game to make it big in the NHL.

Another 1g + 2a this afternoon for Mr. Perry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad