How freakin dissapointed should I be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
EroCaps said:
it was a trade.

*chuckles* . . . I try to keep out of these back and forths about the tanking, but that was only technically a trade. Six million dollars changed hands, or CP could have gotten much more in the way of talent and prospects for Jagr at the time. It was a sale glossed over as a trade, I will keep from the continuing dead horse tanking discussion, but even the most die-hard Caps fan has to admit that the exchange of players was by far an afterthought in that . . . ummm . . . trade.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jaded-Fan said:
*chuckles* . . . I try to keep out of these back and forths about the tanking, but that was only technically a trade. Six million dollars changed hands, or CP could have gotten much more in the way of talent and prospects for Jagr at the time. It was a sale glossed over as a trade, I will keep from the continuing dead horse tanking discussion, but even the most die-hard Caps fan has to admit that the exchange of players was by far an afterthought in that . . . ummm . . . trade.

It was a trade...had Jagr been a UFA, you think he'd have signed in Washington?

:lol

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
EroCaps said:

It was a trade but the Penguins couldn't afford him and only Washington and New York offered to acquire him.

He was essentially sold to Washington...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
EroCaps said:

Jagr? . . . he would have signed wherever they paid him the most money to pay off his gambling debts . . . . he is a truly gifted scorer, always has been, but he was not about the wins, he always was about the money. With Leonis passing out cash as he was at the time . . . the answer is 'in a heart-beat' . . . No other owner would have been able to keep up and Leonis always has been almost as facinated as Sather is in NY with the flashy name players. That actually is the only downside with all of this for the Caps that I see, can you reign Leonis in regarding that tendency enough to not go the Sather route 'to surround AO' with yet another Robert Lang. Hopefully for the Caps he learned that lesson last year though I give him at least kudos for trying to put a winner on the ice.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
It was a trade but the Penguins couldn't afford him and only Washington and New York offered to acquire him.

He was essentially sold to Washington...

If he was "sold" to Washington, tell me why Patrick is on record as saying he liked our prospect group/offer better than New York's? He was traded because of money, but the Rangers couldn't match our "offer", and that's what impacted his move to Washington.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
EroCaps said:
If he was "sold" to Washington, tell me why Patrick is on record as saying he liked our prospect group/offer better than New York's? He was traded because of money, but the Rangers couldn't match our "offer", and that's what impacted his move to Washington.

Because the Rangers offered Jan Hlavac and Tomas Kloucek.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
To a certain extent, yes everyone is 1 hit away but that doesnt make everyone equal. Malkin has already had 1 concussion that I know of, which makes his next a career killer (potentially). And even if he does come back, will he still be at the level that he was pre concussion? Kolanos had this same problem, and Im sure there are others. If I were the penguins, I would go for Olesz or Barker. Either pure offense or pickup a bluechip defneseman, which IMO the penguins lack.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Again, I agree with miz.

The talent difference to me is extremely significant. Ovechkin is a FRANCHISE player, while Ovechkin is someone who probably will be an all star at some point in his career, but I'm thinking the differece is 90 pts to 65 pts or something like that. Ovechkin is a kind of player who could win the Art Ross, Malkin is more along the lines of a standard first liner. Still a good player, but he's not goign to change the fortunes of a franchise.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
XavierX said:
a bluechip defneseman, which IMO the penguins lack.

Orpik, Whitney, Welch...

The last thing the Penguins need is another defenseman.

We have zero offensive prospects with first line potential, with the possible exception of Anshakov...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Mountie said:
Again, I agree with miz.

The talent difference to me is extremely significant. Ovechkin is a FRANCHISE player, while Ovechkin is someone who probably will be an all star at some point in his career, but I'm thinking the differece is 90 pts to 65 pts or something like that. Ovechkin is a kind of player who could win the Art Ross, Malkin is more along the lines of a standard first liner. Still a good player, but he's not goign to change the fortunes of a franchise.

We will agree to disagree . . .

Ovechkin is the real deal, best prospect to come out in twenty years . . . but all that I read from the scouts say that Malkin, who is seventeen and is just beginning to grow into his potential, has come on this year, and shown enough potential to be basically 1 (a) which is saying something in a year of Ovechkin . . .

"If I'm picking No. 1, I'd think about drafting Malkin," said one prominent director of scouting. "I'd probably chicken out in the end and take Ovechkin, but I'd think about it."

I could offer a dozen other quotes from scouting directors around the league (and those quotes have been posted here in other threads), all of whom have no agenda in the quoting as they have a snowball's chance in hell of drafting either player.

Show me a single quote otherwise, that says that Malkin is within a group of Barker, Schremp and company and has no upside to be a franchise player, merely a perhaps good one. Everything that I have read says otherwise.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm a bit disapointed to be a pens fan right now...there is some EXTREME whining coming from our side. Its 10x worse on the "offical" pens MB. But lets not forget we have Whitney, MAF, and probably Malkin. As i've said 10000000x before, this is good for the pens / caps rivarly. Both teams will be back in the playoffs soon enough and it will be good, exciting hockey. Both tems are somewhat stocked for the future, so lets sit back and enjoy it as opposed to saying you tanked, we tanked, use this goalie, etc. No one cares about Jagr or Lang anymore becuase both were traded. That is in the past. If there is one thing I know about Pittsburgh, living here all my life, it is that we all have the tendency to look in to the past for glory. Look at the Steelers. 1 superbowl apperance since 79, yet all we hear is "70's dynasty". If you get a chance to listen to mark madden on ESPN 1250, you should. He lives in the present, like very few of us do. Our roster is now Orpik, Lemieux, Whitney, Beech, MAF, fata, Surovy, Sivek, Aubin/Caron/Chiodo, etc. It is not Coffey, Recchi, Barrasso, Mullen, Trottier, Murphy, etc. Look foward to next season and embrace the new players. Malkin will be good, maybe not as good as A.O, but he will certainly be an important part of the pens rebuilidng efforts.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

stardog said:
Ok any non Pens fans have an opinion on this?

Nothing against Handsome and roast, who are both fine contributors with good knowledge, I am just looking for an "outside" opinion, so to speak.

I have a feeling Ovechkin's gonna pull a Daigle.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
EroCaps said:

Uhh, he did sign a 7 year deal. Or maybe Leonsis just put a gun to his head.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
shveik said:
Having Jagr and Gonchar did not help Washington, did it? Having Kovalev, Straka, Lang did not help the Pens. Their problems is not something that a #1 pick, even as hyped as Ovechkin, can fix. And having Ovechkin will not stop a team from moving, it will just raise the sale price... :(

How exactly did those three NOT help the Pens? They made it to the EC finals and they made it to the playoffs every year with those three.

I think that is a very erronious statement IMO. Simply untrue.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Bluenote13 said:
Yeah come on, this post is serious. I mean, the guy lost out on Ovechkin, like 28 other teams!
And now they have to 'settle' for Malkin! Oh the horror......

What exactly does your statement have to do with his post, or my response?
Not a thing.

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
Mountie said:
Still a good player, but he's not goign to change the fortunes of a franchise.

I don't think any of us expect him to change the fortunes of the franchise. I just want him to be an all star forward that puts up numbers(as if that isn't a lot to ask lol). Fleury in my mind is our future franchise player. If he can play a Patrick Elias type role to our version of Martin Brodeur in Fleury I'd be happy.

I see Fleury as this franchise's savior, not Malkin. Now Ovechkin would have been great, I won't deny that. But to get a guy with a lot of offensive skill is the top priority with this pick. If Malkin can eventually be that go to offensive guy for us down the road I'd be very happy.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
XavierX said:
To a certain extent, yes everyone is 1 hit away but that doesnt make everyone equal. Malkin has already had 1 concussion that I know of, which makes his next a career killer (potentially). And even if he does come back, will he still be at the level that he was pre concussion? Kolanos had this same problem, and Im sure there are others. If I were the penguins, I would go for Olesz or Barker. Either pure offense or pickup a bluechip defneseman, which IMO the penguins lack.

SOME would consider Ryan Whitney a blue chip defenseman.
Others may consider Noah Welch one.

Of course Whitney is rated higher, but defensive depth isnt our problem.

That said, I have no problems of trading down and aquiring Barker.

leafaholix*

Ol' Dirty Chinaman said:
I have a feeling Ovechkin's gonna pull a Daigle.
Except he's got everything Daigle didn't.

Passion, a love for the game, size, strength, maturity, desire...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Daigle's problem was attitude and desire.

Two things that Ovechkin hardly lacks in.

If Ovechkin flops it'll be like Lindros and be only because of injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad