How freakin dissapointed should I be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Obviously, as a huge Pens fan, I am really dissapointed in the results of what I like to call, "Judgement Day".

On the Pens board I am seeing alot of people really having alot of faith in Malkin.
Perhaps the cynic in me is just believing they are trying to rationalize so that they aren't dissapointed as I am over losing AO.

So...the question for those of you in the know on the two of them....exactly how dissapointed should a Pens fan be realisticly?

Who has seen them play enough to offer solid judgement?

Can Malkin be as good as AO one day, as I am reading on the Pens board?

Is there a HUGE drop between the two of them?

Thanks....

dissapointed unbiased stardog

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I've been high on Malkin since November, very high.

There is a dropoff, but I don't think it's nearly as big as the hype will make you believe.

Just be glad we didn't finish in Chicago's position, they dropped off a cliff by dropping to third.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Ok any non Pens fans have an opinion on this?

Nothing against Handsome and roast, who are both fine contributors with good knowledge, I am just looking for an "outside" opinion, so to speak.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
I've been high on Malkin since November, very high.

There is a dropoff, but I don't think it's nearly as big as the hype will make you believe.

Just be glad we didn't finish in Chicago's position, they dropped off a cliff by dropping to third.
Although, I know some who are saying that the drop between Malkin and Olezs isnt that great either.
Much like some saying the drop between AO and Malkin isnt as great as some may think.

Heck, I say we trade down now and pick up Barker and another fine prospect.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I wouldn't be dissapointed one bit. I have a feeling Malkin will make a bigger "team" impact. Hes also got all the skill in the world too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pens fans shouldn't be happy at all having a top 5 pick 3 years in a row.

The lottery is meant for teams who tank games so they can get the #1 overall pick. Like in 1984 for instance...

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
First, the dropoff between Ovechkin and Malkin is greater then some of you pens fans can imagine. Second there is no dropoff what so ever between Olesz and Malkin. I have no idea where you are getting the information, maybe the same place which told you Pittsburgh would have the best NHL defense in 3 years.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I worry about Malkin
He is one hit away from never playing again, just remember that.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
First, the dropoff between Ovechkin and Malkin is greater then some of you pens fans can imagine. Second there is no dropoff what so ever between Olesz and Malkin. I have no idea where you are getting the information, maybe the same place which told you Pittsburgh would have the best NHL defense in 3 years.
Or the one that said Adrian Foster is the next Doug Weight.

XavierX said:
I worry about Malkin
He is one hit away from never playing again, just remember that.
Isn't everybody?

leafaholix*

There's a large drop off.

Comparison's I've read and heard...

Alexander Ovechkin: Mario Lemieux
Evgeny Malkin: Brendan Shanahan

They won't put up as many points because of the new era of scoring in the NHL, but I would expect Ovechkin to be at the same level in his career as Lemieux was in his.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Fedz said:
I wouldn't be dissapointed one bit. I have a feeling Malkin will make a bigger "team" impact. Hes also got all the skill in the world too.

Malkin will make a bigger "team" impact?

In comparison to Ovechkin, known for his pride and professionalism, and playing with Team Russia teammate and star Alex Semin on an almost entirely under 25 group? Let's agree to disagree. :D

I really like Malkin, and this is in no way a direct comparison, but speaking in "talent ratio" he's the Ron Francis to Ovechkin's Mario.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Jacobv2 said:
Or the one that said Adrian Foster is the next Doug Weight.

Isn't everybody?
Hey, the talent is there just the guy can't stay healthy. He has been on the IR more times then any pro hockey player I can think off. If he ever did stay healthy he has the talent and the style to become a Weight type player.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
What happened 20 years ago happened 20 years ago, leave it there.

Most of us weren't even alive when that happened.

and many of us were......

now this is not directed at you...but....its funny that "What happened 20 years ago happened 20 years ago"...but many Pen fans will bring up playoff victories over and over...and some of those were 10+ years ago....where anything but a Pens win would have been an upset......

again...not at you.....just wondering where the cutoff point is ;)

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I have a feeling Malkin is going to fall in this draft. Teams will do the heavy negotiating thing with the Russian federation for a surefire star like Ovechkin but I'm not so sure they want to do it with Malkin--considering the 'drop-off' everybody seems to think exists between Ovechkin and the rest of this year's crop.

Given the current situation in the NHL, I think teams may look at Malkin and decide to go with someone else...maybe even convincing themselves to do so because of the concussion. It's just a theory.

Then there's another factor. If a team is fairly confident of a lockout, maybe they won't even negotiate with the Russian fed and simply let him continue to develop until the league starts up again.

I think only one thing is certain about this year's draft/next season: Uncertainty!

leafaholix*

Evgeny Malkin would be a #1 overall pick in any other draft.

Atleast in most drafts.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Leafaholix said:
Evgeny Malkin would be a #1 overall pick in any other draft.

Atleast in most drafts.

Would you take Malkin over Kovalchuck, MA Fleury, Nash, and Thornton?

leafaholix*

EroCaps said:
Would you take Malkin over Kovalchuck, MA Fleury, Nash, and Thornton?
Not right now... but if he develops to the same level as Kovalchuk, Nash, and Thornton, yes.

If he reaches his potential, I'd say he'll be as good as Nash and possibly Thornton.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
Hey, the talent is there just the guy can't stay healthy. He has been on the IR more times then any pro hockey player I can think off. If he ever did stay healthy he has the talent and the style to become a Weight type player.
Still abdominal problems?

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
This is the era in the NHL when a single player does not a team make (please the Yoda virus I must :) ). So it is not quite as important to have the best player, as it is to have many good players.

I think many of the Pens fans have felt that somehow Ovechkin is promised to them because of all the pain and suffering the franchise has been through. That is unjustified. You will get the 2nd pick and just hope that your management and scouts make the right choice.

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
Malkin is almost 1 year younger than AO and comes from a less traditional hockey school. Since of the beggining of the season I've been following him and I think that he will be a great 1st line center for the penguins.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
shveik said:
This is the era in the NHL when a single player does not a team make (please the Yoda virus I must :) ). So it is not quite as important to have the best player, as it is to have many good players.

I think many of the Pens fans have felt that somehow Ovechkin is promised to them because of all the pain and suffering the franchise has been through. That is unjustified. You will get the 2nd pick and just hope that your management and scouts make the right choice.

"pain and suffering the franchise has been through"?????

They won 2 Cups......hard for me to see suffering there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad