How Far Does Sportsmanship Extend ?

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
From a few seasons back, player injuries became very non-descript, as in "Upper Body Injury, or Lower Body Injury" I believe that this became the norm, because teams didn't want opposing players "targeting" players returning to a line-up, and sometimes playing hurt. Every team has had players who've opted to play with a nagging shoulder problem, or who wear a supportive brace in order to play. They sometimes don't really recover, and it may take the off-season, or surgery to recover.

Training staff, and team doctors have a say in who is or isn't ready to return to a line-up, and in what stage that player's recovery is at. I've seen games where players appear to target a seceptable player, and conversely, I've also seen games where a measure of respect is shown, and a checking player "eases up" in finishing a check.
Is this behaviour something taught and stressed at this level ? By that, I mean sportsmanship as opposed to a deliberate attempt to exploit an opponent's injury ? Is this reflective of a team or coaching philosophy ?

Your Opinions ???

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
From a few seasons back, player injuries became very non-descript, as in "Upper Body Injury, or Lower Body Injury" I believe that this became the norm, because teams didn't want opposing players "targeting" players returning to a line-up, and sometimes playing hurt. Every team has had players who've opted to play with a nagging shoulder problem, or who wear a supportive brace in order to play. They sometimes don't really recover, and it may take the off-season, or surgery to recover.

Training staff, and team doctors have a say in who is or isn't ready to return to a line-up, and in what stage that player's recovery is at. I've seen games where players appear to target a seceptable player, and conversely, I've also seen games where a measure of respect is shown, and a checking player "eases up" in finishing a check.
Is this behaviour something taught and stressed at this level ? By that, I mean sportsmanship as opposed to a deliberate attempt to exploit an opponent's injury ? Is this reflective of a team or coaching philosophy ?

Your Opinions ???

I think it's a for sure no to both those questions. No a coach isn't saying "Smith's arm is hurt, go hit him high" but a coach also isn't saying "Smith looks like his arm is hurt, don't hit him very hard next time"

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think coaches take advantage of weaknesses if they know a player has an issue with an injury. This is why they never mention exactly what the issue is. I believe it was an NHL coach that coined the upper / lower body thing and it became part of the repertoire as a description of an injury. If say a defenseman on an opposing team has a nagging shoulder injury. The competing coach is going to have his forwards nail that player every time he has a shift if it gives his team an advantage.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
I think coaches take advantage of weaknesses if they know a player has an issue with an injury. This is why they never mention exactly what the issue is. I believe it was an NHL coach that coined the upper / lower body thing and it became part of the repertoire as a description of an injury. If say a defenseman on an opposing team has a nagging shoulder injury. The competing coach is going to have his forwards nail that player every time he has a shift if it gives his team an advantage.

At the NHL level, I can see that players have to have a "win at any cost" attitude and disposition. At the Major Junior A level there's an element of team responsibility to look out for and do what's in the best interests of the players. I fully realize that it's a development league, and that sooner or later, a player has to become cognizant of the attitude of the NHL teams that he aspires to play in.
How many parents would approve of their sons being instructed to take advantage of an opponent by targeting a weakness ? How many would agree with a team returning a player to a lineup when that upper or lower body injury still isn't fully recovered ? What about the medical or training staff ethics in these situations ? These players are still in their teens, so I'm not at all certain if a win at any cost attitude should be promoted at this level.

There's something to be said for teaching respect for your opponent. Play hard, but fair, but be aware that when you choose to cross beyond that threshhold, then you become a legitimate target for the way you choose to play the game.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
At the NHL level, I can see that players have to have a "win at any cost" attitude and disposition. At the Major Junior A level there's an element of team responsibility to look out for and do what's in the best interests of the players. I fully realize that it's a development league, and that sooner or later, a player has to become cognizant of the attitude of the NHL teams that he aspires to play in.
How many parents would approve of their sons being instructed to take advantage of an opponent by targeting a weakness ? How many would agree with a team returning a player to a lineup when that upper or lower body injury still isn't fully recovered ? What about the medical or training staff ethics in these situations ? These players are still in their teens, so I'm not at all certain if a win at any cost attitude should be promoted at this level.

There's something to be said for teaching respect for your opponent. Play hard, but fair, but be aware that when you choose to cross beyond that threshhold, then you become a legitimate target for the way you choose to play the game.
Purple there is an old saying " All's fair in love and war". I see your point about junior hockey and parents but to say this never happens especially in the play offs I wouldn't go that far. The Ranger usually have a player sit out with injury for the most part until they are healed in most cases but these are exceptions. As an example Mascherin said he played with a bad shoulder his first two years until he had surgery in the last off season. My point is there are a lot of players playing with injuries that do so to stay in the line up. There has to be a reason the junior coaches use the same term as pro coaches when describing injuries. That reason has to be they don't want the said player targeted by opponents I would think. Otherwise why keep it a secret? It's just what I always thought anyway.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I think a lot of kids learn the "respect value" at the family level - parents sitting in the stands yelling - "kill him, Kill him!" are not teaching good core values going forward - parents that let the coaches coach and encourage their kids will raise the kids that will also show respect on and off the ice.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
This league is one where the 1st year players enter as boys, and graduate as young men. It's transitional, and as such, the core values instilled in these players, are ones that tend to last. The really big question is what sort of player comes out at the end of his Major Junior A experience ? How much influence does the coach instill, as opposed to the values that were implanted by family ?

There were and are players in the league who tend to play with little or no respect for their opponent's well-being. Those types have absolutely no qualms about playing the game "over the edge", and have been known to injure their opponents, either deliberately, or carelessly. Often, they are the recipients of multiple game suspensions, which is the method the league chooses to acknowledge their existance. At times, it seems that teams actively recruit or trade for such players, so that leads me to suspect that the Upper or Lower Body injury is another acknowledgement of their presence.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

i go to some minor hockey games in windsor and try to go to the ohl cup every year, i dont think thats an issue, there are some pretty 'aggressive' minor hockey parents out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad