How do you put away your vehicles for the winter

Savoie92

Jul 5, 2012
Regina
Hi guys, kinda new at having multiple vehicles. Was wondering what do you guys do to your vehicles before storing them away for the winter? Do you add anything to the fluids? Do you pull your battery so i don't die? What else do you guys do to prep it for being parked for 6 months?

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Hi guys, kinda new at having multiple vehicles. Was wondering what do you guys do to your vehicles before storing them away for the winter? Do you add anything to the fluids? Do you pull your battery so i don't die? What else do you guys do to prep it for being parked for 6 months?

Clean oil - you don't want to start a car that sat that long with dirty oil.

Fuel Stabilizer - add.

Max PSI in tires.

Park in Neutral, use parking brake.

Battery out I think.

If your garage/storage area isn't well insulated, park on plastic - vapor barrier.

Send your consultation fee to Howie Hodge/co HF Boards please..........

Reactions: Savoie16

Savoie92

Jul 5, 2012
Regina
Clean oil - you don't want to start a car that sat that long with dirty oil.

Fuel Stabilizer - add.

Max PSI in tires.

Park in Neutral, use parking brake.

Battery out I think.

If your garage/storage area isn't well insulated, park on plastic - vapor barrier.

Send your consultation fee to Howie Hodge/co HF Boards please..........

Cheers for the response! Got new oil in it already always park i Neutral regardless with E-break just got to grab some fuel stabilizer once i park it in 2-3 weeks. Should I have it on a full tank or would it matter?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Depends on what you mean by storing it away. When I bought my car that I don't drive in, I was thinking I had to do a lot of the same stuff Howie Hodge mentioned, but since I was keeping mine at home, I had a friend suggest I keep it covered but every week or so take the cover off, start it, take it for quick drive 10 minutes later, or just pull it out than back in again and rev it a little bit if it's not nice out. I've been doing it for two winters and have no issues.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I agree with @Nullus Reverentia. The most important thing is starting it and letting it run. That keeps all the seals lubed up. Driving it is even better. Mark your tires so you don't park them on the same spot to avoid flat spots on them.

Another less important thing to do is actually using things like the power locks, mirrors, windows, wipers, doors etc. Keeps the moving parts "free"

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I agree with @Nullus Reverentia. The most important thing is starting it and letting it run. That keeps all the seals lubed up. Driving it is even better. Mark your tires so you don't park them on the same spot to avoid flat spots on them.

Another less important thing to do is actually using things like the power locks, mirrors, windows, wipers, doors etc. Keeps the moving parts "free"

Obviously this is more difficult if you’re not storing your car in your garage (or in my case, a heated indoor parking lot), but as long as your car isn’t in a warehouse blocked in, I’d try to do this. It’s really annoying to get it prepped and then to get it ready for taking out, and if you don’t do everything right you hurt your car anyway.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Oh and winter washer fluid if it freezes where you are. Don't want the tank to crack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->