How do you pronouce Ove's name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapsIntensity68

May 1, 2002
Visit site
Not the Alexander part, but the Ovechkin part. I've asked many people and I've gotten about 10 different answers. The reason I ask is because I plan to start a "We Want Ovechkin" chant at the last Caps home game of the year, but I need to know how to say his name. "We Want Alex" won't work because there is already a very promising Alex playing in Washington.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
GoM said:

This unbelievably clever remark has reminded me of something, Does anyone have a copy of American Hockey Magazine from 2001 (i think) with Rob on the cover...the headline reads "Jumbo Schremp"?...if someone has a copy and willing to sell it, please contact me via private message, thanks

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
Well, to be precise, it's Ah-VYECH-kin, where CH in VYECH is like CH in "check." And the VYE syllable just makes the E soft (so it's not VEH - it's VYEH, said at the same speed, though). The first syllable "Ah" is like "awwwwww" sound - somwehre between "an "a" and an "o."

However, for Americans, just plain Oh-VETCH-kin would suffice...

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Jacobv2 said:
I'll just call him "Big Guy".

How about "Big Red"? You know, like that SNL sketch.

He's big big big. And he's red red red.

BIG RED!

And when he scores, we can play that foghorn. And a video of his head spinning around, squirting red goop everywhere.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
http://www.russianjerseys.com/dynamo02.html#

You can see his name in Russian here. From my understanding of the Cyrillic alphabet it would be pronounced

oh-vech-keen.

Interestingly though, if anybody saw NHL Cool Shots a few weeks back they had an interview with Kovalchuk and asked him the correct pronunciation of his name. Kovy said in Russia it is "Koh-vahl-chook" but in N. America it is "Koh-vul-chuk".

Hitman*

Well I don't know how its really pronounced, but I think he'll just go with the North American version when he comes over.

Oh-VETCH-kin it is!

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Saprykin said:
Well, to be precise, it's Ah-VYECH-kin, where CH in VYECH is like CH in "check." And the VYE syllable just makes the E soft (so it's not VEH - it's VYEH, said at the same speed, though). The first syllable "Ah" is like "awwwwww" sound - somwehre between "an "a" and an "o."

However, for Americans, just plain Oh-VETCH-kin would suffice...

wow, you sound just like my russian prof
"Think of an o, but say an e"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->