How do you project the upside of a prospect?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You look at the player, strength/weaknesses, what are the main assets/skills. style of play, physical abilities (skating, speed, mobility, strength-upper and lower) how do they play at both ends, hockey sense. Factor in progression/development over time, level of competition.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I'm kinda curious as to how that works?

First off its difficult to do. But for me i think u first look the players physical skills (skating, shooting, puck skills, etc), then it comes down to the mental aspects of the game ("hockey sense", work ethic, determination) allowing them to put all their physical skills to use.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think skating, hockey sense and work ethic are the three that you really need to watch. If a player has those three they will be able to improve on almost any area.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
You can also definitely see some players whose game's won't translate over to the NHL level, unless they do some massive improvement.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
Prospect + NHL Rights of your favorite team = definite NHLer that others are secretly jealous of.

Prospect + NHL Rights of your favorite team's rival = overrated, will be hard-pressed to make the NHL at all.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I just imagine how kid's tools will work at higher level. When I look at prospect I think about will his tricks and tools work at higher level and how will it work...

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
I just imagine how kid's tools will work at higher level. When I look at prospect I think about will his tricks and tools work at higher level and how will it work...

Exactly. It doesn't matter how much a player dominated the junior ranks if he doesn't pan out in the NHL.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Prospect + NHL Rights of your favorite team = definite NHLer that others are secretly jealous of.

Prospect + NHL Rights of your favorite team's rival = overrated, will be hard-pressed to make the NHL at all.

That's catchy. However, don't you ever wake up in terror at the thought that your rival's prospects are all going to be gems, and your team's prospects will all be flops?

:dunno:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
There is more to it than that as well.

After you take a look at the raw skill, you have to see where they compare to their peer group.

What team are they playing on? What type of general skill set does the player have to interact with?

A player like Sam Gagner is much more impressive leading his team in scoring as opposed to being on a stacked team and fourth in scoring. (For example Dylan Hunter)

What league do they play in? Nikolai Kulemin at a point a game in the RSL is far more impressive than Sergei Kostitsyn's 33 points in 23 games for the London Knights.

So along with puck skills, skating skills, hockey sense, work ethic you have to take that and place it within the parameters of where they play and who they play with in their peer group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->