How Do You Lift The Puck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
Another thing I struggle with, is lifting the puck; hows it done? How do the pros managed to chip the puck up into the ref's hand after the whistle?

I usually only have the puck a foot high after a wrister, and even lower with a slapshot.

Help would be appreciated.

Robin

frank4president

Feb 26, 2004
The higher you follow through with your stick, the higher the puck will go. It's easier said than done though. I struggle with this myself as well, especially on slapshots
Also, it's important to keep the blade vertical (like: | instead of /)

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I find it easier with a well curved blade. Try alot of different curves and you should find the perfect one for you. With the right curve lifting the puck will be easy. I use a Marian Hossa curve and I find it perfect. The Sakic curve also makes it easy to lif the puck with a snap shop.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I'm teaching my son this right now. As far as shooting the puck and lifting it the height depends on where your bottom hand is on the shaft of the stick. The further down toward the blade your hand is the higher the puck will go. That goes for wristers as well slap shots. I've played defense for about 30 years and I always watch where the bottom hand of the other teams point man is on his stick when I'm standing in front of the net. If it's low I get ready to duck, if it's high I look for deflections. On a wrist shot you want the puck to travel from the heel of your blade to the toe as you let it go and then follow through higher (waist high) if you want it to go high or lower (knee high) if you want to keep it down. If you want to roof the puck in close to the net it sort of takes a touch but I toe drag it back towardsmy feet really quick and then roll the top of my stick back and then lift quickly. If you drag it back fast enough and then turn the blade over the puck will ride right up onto the blade and then you just lift. It's a quick flip though. My son is getting it, I'm sure you will too.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
If you're just talking about flipping the puck up to the ref or something like that, it looks super simple but it takes talent, coordination and soft hands.

It's much easier if you get the puck in motion first, so use the toe of your blade to pull it towards you really slowly and then get your blade under it and flick it up. It takes some practice.

And if you really want to get fancy and do the Sidney Crosby/Mike Legg move that's easy once you can get the hang of it. If you do, start trying it with the back of your blade. It's a bit harder but looks way cooler.

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
Le Golie said:
And if you really want to get fancy and do the Sidney Crosby/Mike Legg move that's easy once you can get the hang of it. If you do, start trying it with the back of your blade. It's a bit harder but looks way cooler.

I have a friend who can do that, but only if when on a knee.. looks extremely cool.

Le Golie nailed it though, do a bit of a toe drag and you can get it up "soft" easily. If you want to roof it from close in simply snap your wrists "under" instead of "over".

If you're trying to do the Crosby, lie your stick flat on top of the puck and put the puck at the toe of your stick and push down... hard to explain, but the puck will eventually cup to your stick.. then simply pull back and have some fun!

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
PDO said:
I have a friend who can do that, but only if when on a knee.. looks extremely cool.

Le Golie nailed it though, do a bit of a toe drag and you can get it up "soft" easily. If you want to roof it from close in simply snap your wrists "under" instead of "over".

If you're trying to do the Crosby, lie your stick flat on top of the puck and put the puck at the toe of your stick and push down... hard to explain, but the puck will eventually cup to your stick.. then simply pull back and have some fun!

I tried it once with a knee on the ice and it was hard as hell to scoop the puck.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Le Golie said:

I used to watch Mike Legg in practice do that at the blue line and then spin a complete 360 with his stick about chest high and fire line drives into the top of the net from the point. It was pretty cool. I never saw him try that or the behind the net scoop in a game here but he used to do all kinds of tricks in practice.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Steelhead16 said:
I used to watch Mike Legg in practice do that at the blue line and then spin a complete 360 with his stick about chest high and fire line drives into the top of the net from the point. It was pretty cool. I never saw him try that or the behind the net scoop in a game here but he used to do all kinds of tricks in practice.

A guy on my team does that to me all the time, it's impossible to react to he either scores, hits me or misses the net.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
I play Ball hcoke and have been for 6 years. I can do the Mike Legg move. Taking the Ball on my blade and puting it in the net. ANother move I use is when im behind the net, I will sometimes flip it over the net to the front of the net and quickly bat it in from the side. I do it when all the opposing players are tide up with one of my players. When I got a little bit of time.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
frank4president said:
Also, it's important to keep the blade vertical (like: | instead of /)

That I think is the key to getting off a high and/or hard shot. I think about this always when shooting because in order shoot well you need as much grip/contact between the puck and the blade as possible. You can also learn to recognize a 'feel' associated with this kind of contact with the puck. Once you got this 'feel' down, you won't forget how to shoot well.

I'd also suggest practicing with a tennis ball or puck on your own time at home or outside (and at the same time of being respectful of other people's property...unlike I have been). Joe Sakic developed a lethal shot in a similar manner.

riz

BuppY said:
I play Ball hcoke and have been for 6 years. I can do the Mike Legg move. Taking the Ball on my blade and puting it in the net. ANother move I use is when im behind the net, I will sometimes flip it over the net to the front of the net and quickly bat it in from the side. I do it when all the opposing players are tide up with one of my players. When I got a little bit of time.

Have a look on this page for some "airhook" tricks with a stick and a ball in our nice little sport called "floorball":

http://www.tvoberwil.ch/videos.php

It's much easier to do these tricks in floorball so they are a bit flashier than ones you may have seen at a hockey rink :D

RKells

May 26, 2005
I'd say just practice your shot normally and in time you will be able to shoot high. I always see kids trying to shoot high or top shelf by flicking the puck. While this will work when you're right in front of the net when the goalie is down, it will be an easy save for the goalie otherwise. To do this I typically angle my blade face more open and have the puck closer in to my body using a flicking motion (all wrists).

As far as getting your wrist shot or snap shot higher I think just practicing your shot will help you. Make sure you are following through to your target and shifting your weight. In time you should begin to see the changes in your shot based on small adjustments (shifting weight, grip positions, shooting off toe or heel of blade, wrist shot/snap shot, etc.) and you will get the feel of shooting high or low. A good way to tell if you are shooting effectively/efficiently is to watch the puck in the air, if the puck is wobbling try to tinker with your technique. If the puck is stable and smooth in the air you are on your way to becoming a snipa :)

Hope that helps

Mar 4, 2003
Ottawa
Finn said:
I have a lidstrom curve and I can roof a shot from center ice accurately

The Lidstrom curve is definately my favourite. It's great for slapshots...and for wrist shots its good too, you just need to practice with it a bit more.

For getting shots high, like the other person said try to get your stick like | , not like /, although once you start practicing try to angle the stick more towards you, like this: \ You'll find it helps a lot.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Speaking of ball hockey, has anyone here ever played goalie in a competitive league? It's ridiculous the amount the ball can curve in such a short amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad