How Do You Feel...about the Caps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Boudreau and Oates. Hunter left before he could get run out of town. Did I miss anyone? Anyway Trotz seems to be able to work with Ovi. If Trotz is replaced will the next coach be able to work with him.

You have got to be kidding. You think Boudreau and Oates were gone because Ovechkin ran them out of town? How in the world do you figure that?

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Melodramatic BS. If the Sharks overcame their choking playoff history to make a serious run late in the Thornton regime there's no reason the Caps can't relatively late in Ovie's tenure.

I think Trotz is a problem, but there's no magic curse keeping this team from post season success.
who said anything about a magic curse? the capitals are the first and often the only team that can count on getting asked repeatedly thru the playoffs if they are going to choke again this season. the choking and failure is a legit burden. if you don't agree that it is, we will just agree to disagree

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly it's somewhere in-between....

Ovy has never directly "Run a coach out of town", but the team's repeated failures on ice are heavy contributors to past coaching changes. Ovy is the Captain of those teams EVERY year and they seem to fall short or underachieve in the postseason no matter who the coach is. Ovy taking multiple years off (production-wise) hasn't EVER helped a coach and his staff to succeed.

It's easy to see how some fans take those facts and get pissed IMO. "Coach killer" is an exaggeration though...

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
We know what Barry's ceiling is.
25 coaches in NHL history have been behind the bench for 15+ years.
24 of them have coached a team to the final, the only one that hasn't is
Trotz.
I'm convinced Bmac wanted to fire Trotz but Patrick vetoed it since he was essentially his hire.
Dude's Dusty Baker and he'll go out the same way he did..

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You have got to be kidding. You think Boudreau and Oates were gone because Ovechkin ran them out of town? How in the world do you figure that?

Because he thinks Ovechkin is overrated and Backstrom is the real superstar in the Caps pantheon.

It's amazing how some people's opinions can so often be completely the opposite of the majority opinion. Sometimes I wonder how that happens..........

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm ok with the Caps. They can beat any team when focused and they have some youth to fix the gaps. I am happy with DSP's contribution also.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Because he thinks Ovechkin is overrated and Backstrom is the real superstar in the Caps pantheon.

It's amazing how some people's opinions can so often be completely the opposite of the majority opinion. Sometimes I wonder how that happens..........
Who ever said Ovechkin is overrated? He is a great player. I do think Backstrom is a better player to build a team around. It isnt very common to build a team around a winger.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Are you saying Backstrom isnt a superstar?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We know what Barry's ceiling is.
25 coaches in NHL history have been behind the bench for 15+ years.
24 of them have coached a team to the final, the only one that hasn't is
Trotz.
I'm convinced Bmac wanted to fire Trotz but Patrick vetoed it since he was essentially his hire.
Dude's Dusty Baker and he'll go out the same way he did..
And you know this for a fact? Its just your opinion.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Are you saying Backstrom isnt a superstar?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...as-the-west-won.2402871/page-5#post-137228751

99.999999% of the hockey world thinks Ovie is the Caps best player in this era and probably our biggest superstar in franchise history. You think he isn't even the best player on the team, and that Backstrom (who has trouble making All Star Games) is the real superstar. You also said Ovie isn't generational and is one dimensional.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...as-the-west-won.2402871/page-5#post-137233029

I'm saying your perspective on all things hockey seems to be just about the opposite of what most think. I guess that's ok, but you are not going to have a lot of people agreeing with you.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...as-the-west-won.2402871/page-5#post-137228751

99.999999% of the hockey world thinks Ovie is the Caps best player and probably our biggest superstar in franchise history. You think he isn't even the best player on the team, and that Backstrom (who has trouble making All Star Games) is the real superstar. You also said Ovie isn't generational and is one dimensional.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...as-the-west-won.2402871/page-5#post-137233029

I'm saying your perspective on all things hockey seems to be just about the opposite of what most think. I guess that's ok, but you are not going to have a lot of people agreeing with you.
Then 99.9999999999% of people think that only scoring goals matters. Sorry but Backstrom is a better all round player. And there really isnt an argument for that. My perspective has always been that I appreciate talented offensive players but the technical part of the game is more important. That's the way I was taught to play.
As for Ovi being one dimensional. He is. He is a goal scorer and that is the reason why he is so popular. People here don't have the appreciation for guys that aren't as flashy and try to play a complete game. Those care the guys that win for you.
A perfect example was the Pens of the early 90s. Great players in Lemieux and Jagr but they couldn't win a cup until they added Ron Francis. I don't think the Pens would have won without him.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Then 99.9999999999% of people think that only scoring goals matters. Sorry but Backstrom is a better all round player. And there really isnt an argument for that. My perspective has always been that I appreciate talented offensive players but the technical part of the game is more important. That's the way I was taught to play.

You think Ovie only ever scored points in his career? Backstrom is a better passer and defensive player and he's better on the boards. He has good fundamentals but he lacks superstar overdrive. You value those things more than what Ovechkin has brought to the table over the years, I guess.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

That's recent. Ovechkin has been the better of the two players almost every year prior to 2016-2017.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I got pulled away so didn't finish my thought.

My point is you have a lot of opinions that could be considered contrary to the prevailing wisdom. And you have an unusually low opinion of Ovechkin compared to many Caps fans. So it shouldn't be surprising that you also think he's a "coach killer".

Just curious, how long have you been following the Caps and are you in the DC metro area where all the Caps media is experienced? I don't doubt you are a Caps fan but I'm trying to understand your perspective.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I got pulled away so didn't finish my thought.

My point is you have a lot of opinions that could be considered contrary to the prevailing wisdom. And you have an unusually low opinion of Ovechkin compared to many Caps fans. So it shouldn't be surprising that you also think he's a "coach killer".

Just curious, how long have you been following the Caps and are you in the DC metro area where all the Caps media is experienced?
I have followed the Caps since 1974. And no I am not from the DC area. I'm from Regina, Saskatchewan,Canada. The reason I chose the Caps as my team was because they selected Greg Joly first overall in the 74 draft. He was my favorite player for the Regina Pats that won the memorial cup in 74.
BTW I will backup any of our Regina Pats alumni that are with the Caps organization. There are a few. Trotz himself is a Regina Pat alumni, so is Chandler Stephenson and there are 3 players in Hershey. Hobbs is the only one of those 3 that have a shot at the NHL.
I've been around hockey my whole life. Haven't played for awhile. Because of injuries and age.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I have followed the Caps since 1974. And no I am not from the DC area. I'm from Regina, Saskatchewan,Canada. The reason I chose the Caps as my team was because they selected Greg Joly first overall in the 74 draft. He was my favorite player for the Regina Pats that won the memorial cup in 74.
BTW I will backup any of our Regina Pats alumni that are with the Caps organization. There are a few. Trotz himself is a Regina Pat alumni, so is Chandler Stephenson and there are 3 players in Hershey. Hobbs is the only one of those 3 that have a shot at the NHL.
I've been around hockey my whole life. Haven't played for awhile. Because of injuries and age.

Thank you.

So you grew up playing a different style and you value those things more than some of what we see from guys like Ovie. I think I get where you're coming from now, even if I disagree.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
As for Ovi being one dimensional. He is. He is a goal scorer and that is the reason why he is so popular. People here don't have the appreciation for guys that aren't as flashy and try to play a complete game. Those care the guys that win for you.
A perfect example was the Pens of the early 90s. Great players in Lemieux and Jagr but they couldn't win a cup until they added Ron Francis. I don't think the Pens would have won without him.

Wait. People here don't appreciate guys that aren't flashy? I will just mention a couple. Steve Konowalchuk. Jeff Halpern, Ulf Dahlen, Kelly Miller.

Ovechkin is not a one dimensional player.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
They both called out Ovi about his lack of effort in the defensive zone and giving up on plays. No point in arguing because it happened. And both were gone shortly after. It was well known that Ovi and Oates didn't see eye to eye.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Wait. People here don't appreciate guys that aren't flashy? I will just mention a couple. Steve Konowalchuk. Jeff Halpern, Ulf Dahlen, Kelly Miller.

Ovechkin is not a one dimensional player.
What else does Ovechkin bring this team other than scoring goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->