How do Canadians feel about this Madden article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
E = CH² said:
Read the article.

EDIT : Heck, just to make sure I'll quote him

BTW I didn't put on the caps myself, he did, I just bolded it, to make sure you'd not miss it.

He sounds like a 12 years old.

Sorry, didn't see that. :)

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I can't get over when he said Canada's record over the past decade hasn't been all that great. I guess Olympic Gold, several world championships, several World Junior golds, perhaps the World Cup champs tomorrow, and being #1 in the world in hockey forever means nothing :)

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
being #1 in the world in hockey forever means nothing :)

Forever? You might want to rethink that one also. :shakehead

Please tone it down a bit, once people start with the cocky attitude these discussions just fly out of hand and become personal mud slinging contests. Some mutual respect and these discussions are much more pleasant for everyone.

Canada has by no means been superior in the last 3 super tournaments. They were second in 1996 world cup, 4th in 1998 olympics, won in SLC 2002 and they havent won this one yet either. Canada has the best depth out of all countries, nobody is denying that, but the "we will always win" attitude will not fly, there is absolutely no base for that claim. :teach:

Reilly311

Sting004 said:
I can't get over when he said Canada's record over the past decade hasn't been all that great. I guess Olympic Gold, several world championships, several World Junior golds, perhaps the World Cup champs tomorrow, and being #1 in the world in hockey forever means nothing :)

I dont know, that 50 year gold medal drought might have something to do with it. Forget their consecutive choke jobs these past 3 years at the WJCs. No one cares about the World Championships because it's a tournament for which country has the best NHL players NOT playing in the NHL playoffs.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Reilly311 said:
Forget their consecutive choke jobs these past 3 years at the WJCs. No one cares about the World Championships because it's a tournament for which country has the best NHL players NOT playing in the NHL playoffs.

And nobody cares about the WJC because Canada ice the best team of Juniors that aren't in the NHL yet ? I see a double standard here.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Big Deal. If I was an American, I'd agree with him. It would be like having an ex-rival doing all the commentary on your favourite teams channel.

Its your team, your teams "channel", you don't want to hear from biased announcers unless they're biased towards your team.

All that other stuff is just part of his show...don't take it too seriously.

Feb 24, 2004
Reilly311 said:
I dont know, that 50 year gold medal drought might have something to do with it. Forget their consecutive choke jobs these past 3 years at the WJCs. No one cares about the World Championships because it's a tournament for which country has the best NHL players NOT playing in the NHL playoffs.

I'm going to refrain from flaming your constant inane comments Reilly.

Compared to everyone else, because that is how we judge supremacy, let's take a look at JUST the last 3 years, since I can't remember WJC results from 96 to 2000, as well as WCH.

2002:

Gold-Salt Lake City Olympics
Silver- World Junior Championships
Bronze World Senior Championships

2003:

Gold-World Senior Championships
Silver-World Junior Championships

2004: Gold-World Senior Championships

Add that to the constant medal finishing in the lsat 10 years(with the exception of one 7th place finish) the silver medal at the world cup, and 4th in Nagano, and Canada has the stats by far and away.

So discount the WCH if you want, but take a look at everything else.

Say that Canada isn't guaranteed to win all the time, I'm sure we all agree with that. But don't insult the past glory.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Reilly311 said:

I get a kick out of your schtick, but you're reaching a bit this time.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Reilly311 said:
The past 3 years at the WJC, Canada only choked against the USA.

chicpea*

Canuck21t said:
The past 3 years at the WJC, Canada only choked against the USA.
Your avatar is the only thing in this thread that has made me laugh! :)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If Canada hasn't been a dominant team the last 10 years, then who has? With the nature of the game, and the fact that all these international tournaments are 1 game afairs, of course Canada isn't gonna win everytime. Probably a more accurate way to measure dominance would be to tally up each countries win-loss record for each tournament type over the years.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
RandV said:
If Canada hasn't been a dominant team the last 10 years, then who has? With the nature of the game, and the fact that all these international tournaments are 1 game afairs, of course Canada isn't gonna win everytime. Probably a more accurate way to measure dominance would be to tally up each countries win-loss record for each tournament type over the years.

The only thing that matters is how well they do in World cup & olympics where all the best are around. The "world championships" tournament is a joke (a good joke though, I enjoy watching it, but it tells nothing about where we are at), WJC is just a nice chance to see how our future is looking.

Canada is the #1, but last 3 super tournaments have seen 3 different champions.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
oilers_guy_eddie said:
Hyperbole aside (his pro-wrestling background really comes through) he makes a good point.

Actually, that is what I got from the article. Reading between the lines, I am hearing him say that he wants hockey to be more like pro-wrestling or the XFL. With announcers who scream alot and yell and cheer.

Who knows, with the new leagues that will form during the lock-out, maybe they will have things like people who come out of the audience to body-slam a referee for making a bad call. Or players who climb up onto the boards and then do a flying atomic leg drop onto another player (who has been hit hard enough) lying on the ice. I wonder if this would be American enough for him. :dunno:

Reilly311

leafs4thecup said:
I'm going to refrain from flaming your constant inane comments Reilly.

don't insult the past glory.

is there something wrong that I said? Ask anyone and they'll tell you Canada choked like dogs at the WJCs. They also went on a 50 year gold medal drought. I'm speaking facts here. I'm not making this up.

What past glory am I insulting? They have no past glory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No Olympic gold medals in 50 years when professionals weren't even participating. guess that means Canada sucks at hockey. :lol

I'm a little curious as to how old you are Reilly311.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Madden is obvisouly a moron, typical american sports announcer who doesn't know a thing about hockey. I'm not saying all americans are out of the loop when it comes to hockey, but idiots like Madden set a bad example.

Anyone who visit's these boards...Canadian, American, Finnish, Russian...I respect more then Madden.

Unbiased Canadian

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
USA has Madden
Canada has Cherry

I think for the good of the sport... hockey needs "Pejorative Slurs" like this in the media :lol

Reilly311

Zednik20 said:
No Olympic gold medals in 50 years when professionals weren't even participating. guess that means Canada sucks at hockey. :lol

you're confusing the words "Reason" and "Excuse"

Reilly311

T@T said:
USA has Madden
Canada has Cherry

I think for the good of the sport... hockey needs "Pejorative Slurs" like this in the media :lol

Cherry is by far worse than Madden. I dont know how Canadians (or anyone for that matter) can hate Mark Madden, but turn around and praise Don Cherry. Madden doesn't think that European players are taking Canadian players jobs in the NHL.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Unbiased Canadian said:
Madden is obvisouly a moron, typical american sports announcer who doesn't know a thing about hockey. I'm not saying all americans are out of the loop when it comes to hockey, but idiots like Madden set a bad example.

Anyone who visit's these boards...Canadian, American, Finnish, Russian...I respect more then Madden.

Unbiased Canadian

Typical American sports anouncer who knows the announcing sucks from every standpoint for an American.

Go watch ESPN. Then tell me if you think it's good announcing. We do need to hear more about the American players. Not some chump from Western Canada who made the NHL out of sheer will power.

They need some stories on American players or bowling and poker will top it again and again.

Come watch it from our perspective. Yes, Madden is a moron but he shows a very valuable point on the announcing.

And yes. It IS nice to have JR up there.

chicpea*

Reilly311 said:
is there something wrong that I said? Ask anyone and they'll tell you Canada choked like dogs at the WJCs. They also went on a 50 year gold medal drought. I'm speaking facts here. I'm not making this up.

What past glory am I insulting? They have no past glory.
Do you know what revisionism is? Clearly, you should see a doctor or, more appropriately, an historian, if not.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Reilly311 said:
Cherry is by far worse than Madden. I dont know how Canadians (or anyone for that matter) can hate Mark Madden, but turn around and praise Don Cherry. Madden doesn't think that European players are taking Canadian players jobs in the NHL.

I don't think he's far worse. Maybe some of his comments on the Euro guys overstep a bit, but he's more on the same level. They're both "color" guys. Nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->