How did Anthony Stewart look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Im looking for big things from him here in South Florida. They questioned his weight being to high, a reason for him being a little slow on the ice, so I was wondering how his speed and skating looked. Not to mention his overall game too.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I thought Stewart was the best player on the ice today (other than Toivanen) for either of the teams. Stewart showed average speed, which is truthfully a bonus for a guy of his size, but great hockey sense, and skill.

Along the boards he really did make the Finns look like peewees...he dominated pretty much every one on one battle that he had.

A very good showing from Stewart, I thought.

gibber1600

Aug 6, 2003
Great white north
pb1300 said:
Im looking for big things from him here in South Florida. They questioned his weight being to high, a reason for him being a little slow on the ice, so I was wondering how his speed and skating looked. Not to mention his overall game too.
He looked real good!!!!!!!!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
pb1300 said:

From watching Stewart these last 3 games, he looks to have very good speed down the wing. I am watching on tv though and it could be a bit deceiving, but from what I see so far, his combination of speed, power and shooting look excellent!

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I didn't see the UKR-CAN game, but in the two others he looked big and strong in the offensive zone, but his defensive play left much to be desired. At times in the SUI game it looked like he didn't care to skate back home to his own zone when the Swizz got the puck. His skating and speed was averagre at best and he probably fits better on the smaller ice in NA...

GlueleG

Mar 29, 2002
Brooklin, Ontario
Visit site
Ville Isopää said:
I didn't see the UKR-CAN game, but in the two others he looked big and strong in the offensive zone, but his defensive play left much to be desired. At times in the SUI game it looked like he didn't care to skate back home to his own zone when the Swizz got the puck. His skating and speed was averagre at best and he probably fits better on the smaller ice in NA...

He now has 4 goals 3 assists in just 3 games.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Ville Isopää said:

Yeah, he really looks out of place out there LEADING THE TOURNAMENT IN +- AS WELL AS POINTS>

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Crosbyfan said:
Yeah, he really looks out of place out there LEADING THE TOURNAMENT IN +- AS WELL AS POINTS>

That's not really a good indicator of whether or not his defensive awareness is good. He will have a good +/- by virtue of the number of goals Canada is scoring, plus sloppy defensive play against some of these teams means little since there are no finishers anyway.

That being said, I haven't noticed Stewart do anything negative on the backend, morseso than he was simply a part of a somewhat sloppy defensive game against the Swiss. His offensive skills are great, and his size and power makes me think he could be a Jeremy Roenick-type center in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->