How concerned are you that if the Lightning win the Cup that Yzerman will leave for Detroit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've read all the same articles about Vinik that you have. He is a business man with an ego. Who says he holds people under him accountable. Will he take kindly to a bidding war? Or will he think working for him should be enough and will he feel (like some here feel), that all the other people in the organization (most of whom Yzerman brought in) like Briseboise and Murrary, etc. are enough?

He was a fan of the Bruins. He bought the Lightning because the Bruins weren't going up for sale and they were the best business deal among the teams that were coming up for sale.

For those of you making it sound like Yzerman has the dream job in TB where everyone loves him -- you have short memories. I could embarrass some of you if I wanted (but I won't) by directing you all to the HF archives where a few short years ago, many TB fans were calling for Yzerman's head because he wouldn't bring a washed up Vinny Lecavalier back. Remember that? :sarcasm: There's a bit more loyalty for Yzerman in Detroit.

@garmonbozia Thank you for the best post of the thread. You made good points while staying on topic and without resorting to insults or conspiracy theories.

While I disagree with some points, you make some good ones.

I will say being under contract for one more year does not mean that the last year is never broken if another opportunity arises. Although you could make the case that the big push will come next year.

Marian Illitch is still around. The same Marian Illitch who said Steve Yzerman was like a son to her. Yzerman is connected to the entire Illitch family (who were ever involved with the Red Wings). If you trace back where all the talk came from (aside from the fans) it was linked to Chris Illitch. I think you're also underestimating that the Illitch's have a brand new arena to fill and their popularity is going the other way.

Put yourself in Chris Illitch's shoes. A blind man can see what he is aiming for. Apologies to Kris Draper, but he is not Steve Yzerman -- not with the fans. If Yzerman is brought in, the fan base won't even care if they don't win in the next 3 years, because there is faith that Yzerman knows what he is doing. Take a stroll around. Angry Wings fans tweeting that if only the Wings hadn't let Yzerman get away the Wings would have Kucherov, Kuznetsov, Namestnikov, etc, instead of Riley Sheehan, etc. Yzerman has a built in credibility that buys time. Wings fans are furious at the idea of having Holland around and his high priced contracts for mediocre vets.

You mention Scotty Bowman, he himself was absolutely shocked that Yzerman left Detroit for the TB job because he never thought it would happen. Bowman thought Yzerman would be GM in Detroit for a reason. And btw, Vinik needed Yzerman to be given the vote of approval by Bowman so maybe too much is being made of the great Vinik/Yzerman bond. You can find quite a few articles around the time the TB GM position was up, and you'll see a bunch of articles about how it was believed Yzerman withdrew his name because he didn't feel it was the right place for him. Was it money? Negotiating?

And again, I'm sorry, but you all underestimate the power of money. I don't think Yzerman is leaving TBL simply based on emotion. It will be money. It's always about the money. The strongest argument for Yzerman staying in TB is because of the tax situation in Florida which I believe is one of the reasons why he went to TB in the first place. But if the Illitch's make it a financially better offer for Yzerman taking into account the tax situation, he will be gone.

This is all "You have no idea how much the Red Wings want him," without addressing any real reason he'd have to leave.

Money? I really doubt Jeff Vinik is going to be outbid when it comes to keeping the guy the franchise's success can be most directly linked to.

And with Vinny, I think you'd be surprised at how many people supported that decision, even at the time. Hell, even in the MSL debacle, which was much more polarizing, most fans sided with Yzerman. But those really don't have anything to do with anything.

The main point you continually ignore is, why would a guy so noted for his competitive spirit leave a contender (that he built) to essentially start over? I could understand you saying, "When Yzerman gets fired, Detroit is gonna try to get him." But you're saying Yzerman is going to leave after he wins a cup. As if that cup is going to satisfy him. If that were the case, he'd have ridden off into the sunset after his playing career finished.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
In all seriousness OP, there's one guy you need to ask as he deals primarily with the Lightning Executive branch of legislation and can answer you in indirect to direct forms of PMS. He's normally around here and posts on occasion when he isn't hanging out with SY, Scotty Bowman and you guessed it, "the Illitch family." His name is Matt Watson, short for Matthelangelo Watson and he would probably be best suited in answering any inside information you're seeking when it comes to this high level topic.

Hope that helps. Normally you can find him if you go back to the days of 04 in our forum history as he occasionally pops up like a zit on prom night in the game day threads. Good luck, God bless, and go forward and God bless America.

Stammer, out.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Vinik was a Rangers fan, not a Bruins fan. RIP your argument if you can't even do basic research.

Q&A: Lightning owner on turning around the franchise

JV: I love hockey. It’s my favorite sport. My Red Sox partners did not know that at the time. Ever since I was a kid, I loved the game. When I was 5, I used to go to bed at night with a tiny TV and I used to watch New York Rangers games. I was a Rangers fan for about 25 years.

Just a businessman. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Stammertime91

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Damn this Red Wings fan has an ex-girlfriend vibe to him. You know the type ... dude moved on a long time ago. But psycho ex-girlfriend still talks about him like one day he’ll realize she is the one and come back like her knight in shining armor.

Nothing we say is gonna be enough for this guy. There is a big void in his life ... and nothing but hope fills it.

Dude...we are in the middle of a cup run. I know you look at old pictures and see how happy you were together and can’t fathom him being happy somewhere else. Let it go ... it’s creepy and weird.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Vinik has poured a lot of money, sweat, and tears into this team, the community, and the arena. We've spent to the cap every year and I have no doubt he will throw whatever money it takes at Yzerman to keep him here. He will not simply be outbid. He's not just a businessman, he is a die-hard fan of his team and city of Tampa.
Technically, I think we didn't spend to the cap for the first few years (two?) while SFY got some larger pieces in place. (remember that we didn't even put Ohlund on LTIR until then)

He was always empowered to, however.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
In all seriousness OP, there's one guy you need to ask as he deals primarily with the Lightning Executive branch of legislation and can answer you in indirect to direct forms of PMS. He's normally around here and posts on occasion when he isn't hanging out with SY, Scotty Bowman and you guessed it, "the Illitch family." His name is Matt Watson, short for Matthelangelo Watson and he would probably be best suited in answering any inside information you're seeking when it comes to this high level topic

I'm not understanding. So you're suggesting that Matthelangelo, who Yzerman tells his most inner secrets to, also posts on this board and will spill the beans to the HF forum folks? That's not Yzerman's style. You aren't going to get any Lightning insiders spewing any truth unless it's something they want the public to know.

Vinik was a Rangers fan, not a Bruins fan.

Uhhhh, you're wrong. Partially right. The same as calling him a Bruins fan. He says he was a Rangers fan for 25 years and Bruins fan for 15 to 20 years.

Hardly deserving of your bragging...

He was a Bruins fan when his kids were young. He was involved in the Red Sox. As I said, was interested in the Bruins, but they weren't for sale, assessed the teams for sale and determined TB was the best business decision.

The point is, he is a business man. A business man does what he thinks will make him the most money. He spent money because he thought it would get him a return later. If he thinks he can get the same results and not need to outbid the Illitch's, that's what he will do.

SI: Were you looking at other teams besides the Lightning?"

JV: The Boston Bruins weren’t for sale, weren’t going to become for sale. I looked at Dallas, Phoenix, Florida, Atlanta before they moved to Winnipeg, Nashville, New Jersey, the Islanders, Columbus, Carolina ... just evaluating them all. One of the big factors was, where do you want to live? And Florida is a great place to live.
Beside the great demographics of Tampa — 2% population increase per year, which is an incredible compounding effect — I just thought the whole community had so much potential that wasn’t realized. On top of a great hockey team, really welcoming people, successful sports in the past, lots to do. All of these factors. It just seemed like a place that my family would fit in really well.

SI: Was buying the Bruins your pipe dream?

JV: I don’t know. Even though I was a Bruins fan when my kids were young, for 15 or 20 years, I’m not sure they were in my heart. We kind of adopted them. Probably because we lived there, yes, that would’ve been the best thing to do. I don’t know if I’d call it a pipe dream. It’s not like I wanted my entire life to own the Rangers or the Bruins. I never thought about it. Maybe potentially."

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I'm not understanding. So you're suggesting that Matthelangelo, who Yzerman tells his most inner secrets to, also posts on this board and will spill the beans to the HF forum folks? That's not Yzerman's style. You aren't going to get any Lightning insiders spewing any truth unless it's something they want the public to know.

Uhhhh, you're wrong. Partially right. The same as calling him a Bruins fan. He says he was a Rangers fan for 25 years and Bruins fan for 15 to 20 years.

He was a Bruins fan when his kids were young. He was involved in the Red Sox. As I said, was interested in the Bruins, but they weren't for sale, assessed the teams for sale and determined TB was the best business decision.

The point is, he is a business man. A business man does what he thinks will make him the most money. He spent money because he thought it would get him a return later. If he thinks he can get the same results and not need to outbid the Illitch's, that's what he will do.

JV: The Boston Bruins weren’t for sale, weren’t going to become for sale. I looked at Dallas, Phoenix, Florida, Atlanta before they moved to Winnipeg, Nashville, New Jersey, the Islanders, Columbus, Carolina ... just evaluating them all. One of the big factors was, where do you want to live? And Florida is a great place to live.
Beside the great demographics of Tampa — 2% population increase per year, which is an incredible compounding effect — I just thought the whole community had so much potential that wasn’t realized. On top of a great hockey team, really welcoming people, successful sports in the past, lots to do. All of these factors. It just seemed like a place that my family would fit in really well.

JV: I don’t know. Even though I was a Bruins fan when my kids were young, for 15 or 20 years, I’m not sure they were in my heart. We kind of adopted them. Probably because we lived there, yes, that would’ve been the best thing to do. I don’t know if I’d call it a pipe dream. It’s not like I wanted my entire life to own the Rangers or the Bruins. I never thought about it. Maybe potentially."
He's a pretty bad business man if he thinks a sports team or even worse, a hockey team, will make him any considerable profits. He could spend his time doing about a million more profitable things.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Your first paragraph is hilarious for reasons you don't understand.

The rest of your post is basically you painting a dream scenario where your GM of choice would somehow be available after winning a Stanley Cup, and willing to go rebuild another franchise rather than contend for more Cups where he's at.

Reactions: Stammertime91

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

The rest of your post is basically you painting a dream scenario where your GM of choice would somehow be available after winning a Stanley Cup, and willing to go rebuild another franchise rather than contend for more Cups where he's at.
In order to understand, he would need high level knowledge and judging by this thread, he doesn't have any.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I’m not sure they were in my heart... Probably because we lived there

Sounds like a real Bruins fan to me. :rolleyes:

Sorry I'm gonna keep bragging because I've totally schooled you in this thread. :P

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I wouldn't be surprised if he did and I think that is partially why Julien is still here.
I’ve always been surprised that Julien has not been hired as a gm in the league yet. Is it due to he is waiting for the Montreal job ? Or our job in Tampa more ?

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011

Yes Matthelangelo Watson. He's on here. His aka you know, also knamed as, is Matt Watson on here. I'm surprised out of all the Detroit Red wings knowledge you have you've never heard of him. He played for the Minnesota South Comets. Quick Google search would tell you that for goodness sake.

In order to understand, he would need high level knowledge and judging by this thread, he doesn't have any.

Stammertime91:

2011-2018

Cause of death: laughed my ass off too hard I died.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Sometimes I hate you.
Yeah, well, some days I hate me too.

I’ve always been surprised that Julien has not been hired as a gm in the league yet. Is it due to he is waiting for the Montreal job ? Or our job in Tampa more ?
This, I wish I had a better idea, brother. I know he really wanted the Montreal job, and while he has applied elsewhere, I don't think hes keen on jumping ship from here unless its a role he really, truly wants. Carolina was a decent gig, but the owner was a cheap f*** from what i've heard and wants to lowball everyone.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I think you're drastically under-estimating Yzerman's status in Detroit with Red Wings fans. Yes, it would definitely be "the Golden Child" returning home.

It is already even if Yzerman had floundered as a GM. Since they've had success it is ramped up. And if the Lightning win, the desire to lure Yzerman back as GM will be on steroids. If the Lightning win, he will be the most sought after GM in the league and the Detroit hockey market will go crazy.

I'm not sure Lightning fans understand just have beloved Yzerman is in Detroit. Even without any GM success there would have been a push to bring him back. And the Red Wings are falling in popularity from their glory days. The Illitch's know that.

I respectfully disagree with that statement. There's been articles recently that detail the fact that Yzerman was looking around for a GM opportunity precisely because at the time Ken Holland was going anywhere and there wasn't a chance of him being the Red Wings GM.

Now things are very different.

Yzerman being loved in Detroit has nothing to do whether he goes back or not. It's one thing if he goes back for a ceremony, but as general manager? Not going to happen.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
But I don't think you guys understand. He's so close with the Ilitch family.

*pyramid hands*
*puts on glasses*

He's so close with the Ilitch family that he's considered a son to them and he still has a key on his keychain that unlocks Detroit's underground man cave where he's still so loved in. I don't think Vinik is a hockey fan. I understand he's a Bruins, Rangers and now an owner of the Tampa Lighteningz but he's just a business man. He is probably going to let Yzerman go. He's probably going to let him talk and negotiate terms but he still has a house in Detroit and - hes just so close to the Ilitch family. The son cuts his grass and trims his hedges everyday for him and it would be his job for the taking to become GM for them.

He's just so close to the Ilitch family.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad