How can I get a spot in camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

#37-#93-#27*

jeffshaf said:
I'm 15 years old right now I turn 16 in October and I wanna at least get in a camp for league any 1 in Canada. I play Center down here in Florida and I wanna know if anyone knows if there is anywhere I can get a Tryout for a team up there. thanks
Why don't you just go the college route. In case you don't make it you have something to fall back on.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
#37-#93-#27 said:
Why don't you just go the college route. In case you don't make it you have something to fall back on.
Why don't you let HIM decide what do to? ;)

I dunno... it depends on how good you are... try contacting a few of the Junior D teams up here and if you make the team, and are really good, you'll get signed by a higher team.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Douggy said:
Why don't you let HIM decide what do to? ;)

I dunno... it depends on how good you are... try contacting a few of the Junior D teams up here and if you make the team, and are really good, you'll get signed by a higher team.

Definitely.

Except i'd try contacting teams at the Junior C or Horseshoe Junior B first. I'm sure that maybe one of them would potentially give you a tryout. From there if you play well, a Junior A or potentially even an OHL team would become interested in you.

Playing for a Junior D team would be pretty much a waste of time for someone who would have to move from Orlando to Canada to do it.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Orlando? I don't think CHL is the place for you, I highly doubt the compitition you have is anywhere close to that in Canada. Unless you have 300 points in 40 games I doubt you would make any Junior team.

Ouch. He just wants to attend camp.

slimer

Jul 8, 2003
JasonMacIsaac said:
Orlando? I don't think CHL is the place for you, I highly doubt the compitition you have is anywhere close to that in Canada. Unless you have 300 points in 40 games I doubt you would make any Junior team.

Yeah, there is no possible way that a Florida kid can compete with Canadian kids. I mean if you live south of the Canadian/US border, you may as well not even try on skates. (Sarcasm)

What a jerk.

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Yep, thats about it, Its going to take a long long time before you see any competitive hockey players comming out of Florida, and like I said unless he is absolutly ripping up this league Mario times three style he won't even get a snif. Its my honest opinion and you can take it like you want.

I dominated in Pennsylvania as an youth player and I couldn't come close to handling it in Canada (I've played touraments against Canadian players).

Not so say not to try man, but don't get your hopes too high.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Isn't that the truth. I played in a league down in Florida once. Man, they really know nothing about hockey.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
JasonMacIsaac said:
Yep, thats about it, Its going to take a long long time before you see any competitive hockey players comming out of Florida, and like I said unless he is absolutly ripping up this league Mario times three style he won't even get a snif. Its my honest opinion and you can take it like you want.

There are Floridians (male and female) in NCAA Division I hockey, you know. None have been drafted that I know of, but it's a start.

No need to be so hostile to a 15 year old, he's asking a simple question.

Hope you get some useful info and good luck, jeffshaf!

chum

Feb 27, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
If I were 15 and played hockey in Brazil (if possible) I would like to know that I have no shot at making a team so I don't waste any money moving. Its an honest fact the guy should know.

ya, but it really is none of your business what he wants to do huh? let him spend HIS time to find out.

tyvm

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I tired of all this f****** predjudice against people fron f****** Florida. I go up to SW Ontario every summer and skate with Triple A players and before we get on the ice, they f****** tell me that I can skate with them, that I'm from Florida. I get out there and I'm not even they best kid on my team in Florida on Midget 16-U A but am not bad, and was beating them in races for skating and my biggest strength, stickhandling was unmatched by any of them. FYI a few of the teams from S FLA won the National Championship for thier f****** division. Now I have never skated with a kid in Canada as good as some of the top kids in Florida. Canada is a great country and produces great talent, but to rip someone just cause they are from F****** Florida is Effing BS. If a guy is Inuit, is he an awful player. I bet no one here is as good as Tootoo. What about Nolan. He's from Ireland. He shouldn't be in the NHL. Geez. No offense, but Canada isn't the only hockey producing nation any more. Florida will continue to grow and will in a couple years produce some NHLers as when the Panthers came to town, the sport expanded immensly. In a couple years when those guys turn 17-18, there will be some serious scouting going on down here.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
Isn't that the truth. I played in a league down in Florida once. Man, they really know nothing about hockey.

Yeah, me too, I once played in a league in Canada, and man, they now nothing about hockey.... :rolleyes:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Pennsylvania hockey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Orlando hockey

Yeah,

Pens>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Panthers :rolleyes:

Really, how do you base your f****** opinion. If you ever saw U-17 AA down here, they'd smoke any team as they won the Nationals last year. Chris Nielson, the former BJ, he's from Tazmania, a real hockey hotbed. He could play pro. OK, maybe you think Pennsylvania hockey is better, but come on, the kid could be the next Gretzky for all you know. Don't go around saying stuff that s not neccesarily true. Sure, it is really easy to kill a f****** house team even if theyre not from Florida. But if youve never player U 17 AAA in FLA, then don't go on about how Floridians can't play. Besides, we already have so many Canadians here, so we can't be that bad. :rolleyes:

chum

Feb 27, 2002
gee, kiddo. no need to get mad.

there is absolutely no reason for those people to critisize you (without ever seeing you play), but there is also no reason for you to listen to them and get mad over their prejudice.

ignore their opinions, and move on. many times throughout your life you will meet/see/hear from people that will critisize you without knowing anything about you. just ignore those people and move on...

hope you found the answers you wanted, and good luck.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
Justin Timberlake - "Cry Me A River"
#1 song on the charts

seriously, though, what's your beef with him? he wants to go to a try out, so what does it have to do with you? absolutely nothing. big effing deal, just let him go to his try out and see how he does for himself.

X-SHARKIE

I just turned 16 On september 5th. I got invited to camps for the Waterloo Blackhawks, Green Bay Gamblers and the De Moines buccanears to play on there devolopment teams. I chose to keep on with the high school. I'll go back and try to make the actual team when i'm in my Senior year. Mabey depending on how my game grows.

But all I can say for advice. I just had success in varsity level hockey right away. My freshman year I was looked upon heavily. Now entering my sophmore year the jobs all mine..I'm a goalie btw. So really just play really good nite in nite out. Some scout is bound to watch you. Go to camps were scouts are surrounding you as well. Eventually you'll get a call that could be your break. I'll be in the camps again next summer for sure. Hope I can break in one someday :)

PS. Keep your head up!

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
I think there are better options for you other than coming to Canada to play hockey. It just doesn't seem feasible in your case (it's a long ways away!!!). Try making a high(er) tiered American team first of all. If you make that squad, you can progress from there.

Once you've made those teams, scouts will start to recognize you, no matter where you are playing. No need to leave your element to get noticed nowadays. Teams spend a whack of cash on scouting and development. And for junior teams, there are a whole pile of volunteer scouts all over North America. I'd be willing to bet that some have seen you already if you've played anywhere near an elite level for your age group already...

chum

Feb 27, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
I will say what I want, I can comment on anything I please. The guy is just going to be wasteing money and I feel it is important to tell him that. Go the college route, WORK HARDER IN SCHOOL.

maybe you had the wrong approach then.

maybe what you should've said more like

"i think the hockey program in FL is not nearly as competitive compared to the canadian programs. i feel it is important to let you know that you'd be wasting your money. but it is your money and your time so the final decision is up to you and your parents"

rather than something like

"FL programs sux0r! you guys don't know hockey! don't even try or thinkg about it"

chum

Feb 27, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
Find me a quote where I say any of that, I didn't say Florida sucks.

not exact quote, but something similiar to that nature.

anyways, as you prolly know, the approach you had was not the best way to convince people or pass your opinions.

i'll stop here.

Hitman*

PanthersRule:

Owen Nolan, Robyn Regehr and Chris Nielsen may have been born in non-hockey playing countries, but they all grew up in Canada from when they were about 5, so thats a very poor argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->