How are you guys are dieting, getting the weight off and keeping the weight off?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For that last little while I have had the chance to put in place a system that allows me to eat healthy and go to the gym more(and as a bonus save a lot of money). but an interesting things i--I have not lost much weight.

When I started this program I weight 105 kilos or 230 pounds or 16.5 stone

When I talked to my doctor he pointed out that due to my age--it will take longer for the results to come in

I showed the menu I was eating and my work out regime and he suggested that my buddy was still adjusting. I did nothing drastic.

cut back on booze(went from a weekly intact of of about 25 ciders to about 7, added fruit and veggies to my diet and cut out nearly all red meat and started eating breakfast. I also went from about 30 coffees a week to about 10.

The Doctor said due to my age--46 it may take longer to show the positive aspects oft he change if have done

if you are curious to my work out regime--I do about 1h to 1.5h a day in the gym--combo of treadmill, cross trainer and other stuff

Reactions: irunthepeg

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
Looks like your doing things right. Keep eating lots of veggies/fruit. Do a mix of weight lifting and cardio and you will do just fine.

Reactions: irunthepeg

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
1. Set a goal (weight, waistline, strength, fitness, etc.).
2. Calculate your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE).
3. Use your TDEE to set how many calories you consume in order to achieve your goals.
4. Don't drink alcohol, soda or junk food.
5. Train consistently.
6. Set short and long-term goals to assess your progress. Hard work pays off and good things take time.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
The basics to all of this is to avoid dieting down. Change your eating habbits, and keep them. Alter the portions depending on your goals.

If you keep eating crap but just eat a tiny bit amount of them to lose weight, you'll gain it all back when you resume your usual habbits. If you change your eating habbits, you'll lose it for good.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Honestly, it may sound like a bullshit answer, but it is a lifestyle change. Somewhere in my life, I can't even remember when it was, you just make the change.

So I would say just make better life choices, don't over analyze, and commit to it.

Reactions: Crease

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Honestly, it may sound like a bull**** answer, but it is a lifestyle change. Somewhere in my life, I can't even remember when it was, you just make the change.

So I would say just make better life choices, don't over analyze, and commit to it.
not even bullshit, it's legit. Somewhere along the way I just started going to the gym 6 times a week (or everyday if I could), the diet is just naturally more clean without even thinking about it.

Reactions: ColePens

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
I only drink once a week now and I've really started to lean out. Eat clean and workout Monday to Friday. Take a break on Saturday, have a few pops. Sunday play some night time hockey. Repeat.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I only drink once a week now and I've really started to lean out. Eat clean and workout Monday to Friday. Take a break on Saturday, have a few pops. Sunday play some night time hockey. Repeat.

This is literally my routine to a T. Eat clean Monday to Friday. Let go a bit on Saturday and then Hockey on Sunday nights.

Works really well for me since I'm too busy during the week to think about eating. Day off on Saturday to treat myself and then hockey on Sunday to work off all of the food I ate on Saturday. Rinse and repeat.

OP, if you haven't read this thread, http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...e-told-read-when-it-comes-to-fitness.2224007/, this is a great read for people who want to get in shape but not sure where to start. A lot of good solid advice that is applicable to virtually everyone.

Reactions: jorbjorb

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Honestly, it may sound like a bull**** answer, but it is a lifestyle change. Somewhere in my life, I can't even remember when it was, you just make the change.

pretty much this.

I'm 30 now, and I've been all over the place. I'm not as old as you are, but I'm older than most of the others that post here, and by far the best thing that ever happened to me was not trying get healthy, but simply be better. I love soda, but instead of drinking 4-5 a day, I went to one. I love fast food and pizza, and I knew/know that removing them from my diet altogether would just make me unhappy. Now I just try and eat them less. I'm never going to have that celeb body that you see in movies, but I enjoy my lifestyle and I'm pretty pleased with how I look.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
cut back on booze(went from a weekly intact of of about 25 ciders to about 7, added fruit and veggies to my diet and cut out nearly all red meat and started eating breakfast. I also went from about 30 coffees a week to about 10.
I did the exact opposite of that and that has helped me immensely, among other things.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
The big thing for me was breakfast. I had always been a big bowl of oatmeal or corn flakes with raisins (so carbs) kind of guy, but after I switched to skyr (mostly protein), it made a big difference. That was the "habit change". I also became really strict on sweets and chips and such.

Exercise and such came after the first 10 % weight loss. I ended up at around 25 % weight loss (from 102 kg to 77). Then a girlfriend happened, and well, let's just say I'm trying to lose weight again :skeptic:

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
What worked for me (with the proviso that everyone's different... and different things work for different people)-

When in weight-reduction mode--

I had to recognize that my food (and drink) selections were an abuse-pathology, and had to be addressed as a substance-abuse issue. There were withdrawl-like symptoms. Some emotional support during this time was helpful. It may have been crucial to further progress.

Food log- if you put it in your body and it has calories, write it down.

Weigh in- no less than every week. Keep a chart.

Work on increasing your physical activity. If you're serious about this, it will really hurt in the beginning. If you do it right, you'll keep hurting. However, you'll also be able to see rapid advancement and awareness that you're able to do things you couldn't even dream of doing at the outset. This creates a nice positive-feedback loop and gives you a strong ongoing psychological reward.

Then comes the harder part- maintenance.

Recognize that the "victory condition" has changed. Where the line on your weight chart used to have a descending arc, take pleasure in keeping the line as straight and prairie-flat as possible. Don't stop weighing in. Increase your exercise/sports/etc. You now have the body that'll handle the increased load. Keep doing most of what got you to that point, and it won't feel like the military campaign that it was in the beginning.

Might not work for everyone, but worked for me. Hope this proves useful in some manner.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I just keep my carbs under 50g on a cut, sub in a protein shake for a desert after a meal, have a low calorie soup in the to warm a cup when your craving a snack/meal. Find a couple go to low carb substitutions instead of eating junk food when impulsive hunger strikes.

Cloud bread is easy to make to keep low carb. Weight will start to melt off in a few months.

If you're going to drink, 0 calorie soda with whiskey, no beer but once you get off booze it's easy to keep off.

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
when I was 25 I cut down from around 200-205 to 160-165 from running/doing a 5min cardio workout 7 days a week in about 3 months (no gym)
I got lazy and now Im 31. I signed up for the gym. I was around 190-195 2 months ago when I started. now Im at 180-185ish.
I cut out fast food and pop. during the day I eat fruit only but at night I struggle with not eatting junk food.

Iv been weight training and doing 100 burpees after every workout.
Im starting to see changes but iv been working so hard at the gym and do so good through out the day time but not eatting late is almost impossible for me. anyone have any tips to try and turn off the urges?

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
when I was 25 I cut down from around 200-205 to 160-165 from running/doing a 5min cardio workout 7 days a week in about 3 months (no gym)
I got lazy and now Im 31. I signed up for the gym. I was around 190-195 2 months ago when I started. now Im at 180-185ish.
I cut out fast food and pop. during the day I eat fruit only but at night I struggle with not eatting junk food.

Im starting to see changes but iv been working so hard at the gym and do so good through out the day time but not eatting late is almost impossible for me. anyone have any tips to try and turn off the urges?

Make yourself a fruit smoothie.

Or a more out of the box answer, tell yourself you will let yourself have it in an hour if you still want it then. Our psychology is strange and this can satisfy that urge then often times you don’t even want that urge after the hour passes.

Can I ask why you’re eating all fruit though?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Make yourself a fruit smoothie.

Or a more out of the box answer, tell yourself you will let yourself have it in an hour if you still want it then. Our psychology is strange and this can satisfy that urge then often times you don’t even want that urge after the hour passes.

Can I ask why you’re eating all fruit though?
Not just eatting only fruit. thats just what I pack for lunch at work. Apples, Oranges, Bananas, Grapes, Cherries. pretty much a mix of my Lunches, Im always in a rush so its fast to just grab a bunch of fruit n throw in a bag then out the door.

hmm Im going to give it a try. I seem to be slowly reaching my goal (to burn off my belly and gain little muscle mass)
I have till May- 2019. I feel for as hard as I work at the gym/work , even though I eat like crap at night Im still getting result. but can always improve right.

thanks for the advice I will be trying this and hopefully im successful. I just need more willpower.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

Stop buying junk food, or at least stop keeping it at home. If it's not there, then you won't get the urge to have some.

Reactions: Oley49

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Stop buying junk food, or at least stop keeping it at home. If it's not there, then you won't get the urge to have some.

This is a good idea. I forgot what they call it exactly but it’s like pre-deciding for yourself. Make it harder to get junk food because you know the craving will come eventually.

Reactions: kanuck87

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
This is a good idea. I forgot what they call it exactly but it’s like pre-deciding for yourself. Make it harder to get junk food because you know the craving will come eventually.

Yeah, if you don't give yourself that option, then you're not gonna eat it. You'll only have it when you really have those urges and it's important that when you do get those urges, that you do let yourself have it. My trick is to buy the smaller bag of chips or the smaller chocolate bar so that it is pre-determined when I'm suppose to stop. Usually that is enough is satisfy my craving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad