How are they doing now? (Former Sabres Players) Top 100 pics/stories

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I loved Soupy. But he is a reminder how back in the old Pre-Pegula days you knew once a star Sabre hit free agency, more than likely another team was prepared to give him more money than we were willing to spend. It was just another reminder how our franchise was on a lower tier.

Again, Pegula is such a gift. No way guys like Briere, Drury, Campbell, etc. walk if he was the owner.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
I loved Soupy. But he is a reminder how back in the old Pre-Pegula days you knew once a star Sabre hit free agency, more than likely another team was prepared to give him more money than we were willing to spend. It was just another reminder how our franchise was on a lower tier.

Again, Pegula is such a gift. No way guys like Briere, Drury, Campbell, etc. walk if he was the owner.

Drury wanted to play in New York City. He was going to leave regardless.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
"Pat LaFontaine hired Nolan in 2013 to help clean up the mess left behind by Darcy Regier, who drove the franchise into the ground and sold ownership on the asinine tank idea."

As far as I'm going.

Believe Bucky at your own risk on anything. He's captain agenda. He will change opinions as fast as he can to be contrarian and I wouldn't trust a thing that comes out of the mind of someone with so little character.

Remember folks, it's nonsense that LaFontaine, who had quit multiple jobs before, would quit...because it's not in his character. Says Bucky. Who turns and accuses the lack of character involved with tanking as the criminals of the century.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
"Pat LaFontaine hired Nolan in 2013 to help clean up the mess left behind by Darcy Regier, who drove the franchise into the ground and sold ownership on the asinine tank idea."

As far as I'm going.

Believe Bucky at your own risk on anything. He's captain agenda. He will change opinions as fast as he can to be contrarian and I wouldn't trust a thing that comes out of the mind of someone with so little character.

Remember folks, it's nonsense that LaFontaine, who had quit multiple jobs before, would quit...because it's not in his character. Says Bucky. Who turns and accuses the lack of character involved with tanking as the criminals of the century.

liar :laugh:

Who cares what Bucky has to say... the interesting part was Nolan's quotes on the matter.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
liar :laugh:

Who cares what Bucky has to say... the interesting part was Nolan's quotes on the matter.

God our organization has been a cluster from beat reporters to an extent owners...top to bottom the last few years. Not mad at Nolan for his remarks but not happy with him either...please be a time of stability for once...

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

As far as I'm going.

Its funny how you quit reading yet your last paragraph touches on what was said after the tank is assinine hot take.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'm supposed to believe that Bucky sat on a story that would make ownership look bad, his only goal in life, for three years? And then just slipped it out as "you know the story".

Here's how a Bucky operates: Nolan gives him a quote about how his friend Pat isn't a quitter (even though he has...you know...quit before) and that ownership knows he isn't a quitter. Cut quote there. Nolan can finish by saying that there were disagreements on both sides about his role and they agreed to part ways...which isn't quitting. So Bucky will take the quote he likes and put it into a story that somehow lectured people on tanking again. Even though it wasn't the point of the article...but is the point of his agenda.

Hack.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
http://buffalonews.com/2017/07/18/b...h-ted-nolan-accepts-biggest-challenge-poland/

Nolan new coach for Poland, but the interesting bit was this...
You know what happened: LaFontaine was forced to resign after getting railroaded by longtime Pegula associates who convinced Kim Pegula that LaFontaine spoke ill of her. Kim Pegula should have known it was hogwash. LaFontaine rarely says anything negative about anybody, let alone a co-owner who handed him a dream job.

*edit* it's a Bucky article, just a warning.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I don't think it's worth the brain damage to get into a Bucky Gleason article. Let me know if anything earth shattering is out there.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'm supposed to believe that Bucky sat on a story that would make ownership look bad, his only goal in life, for three years? And then just slipped it out as "you know the story".

Here's how a Bucky operates: Nolan gives him a quote about how his friend Pat isn't a quitter (even though he has...you know...quit before) and that ownership knows he isn't a quitter. Cut quote there. Nolan can finish by saying that there were disagreements on both sides about his role and they agreed to part ways...which isn't quitting. So Bucky will take the quote he likes and put it into a story that somehow lectured people on tanking again. Even though it wasn't the point of the article...but is the point of his agenda.

Hack.

This isn't the first time the Lafontaine/Kim narrative was raised.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't think it's worth the brain damage to get into a Bucky Gleason article. Let me know if anything earth shattering is out there.

I dont think I've ever posted a bucky article before... I thought the Nolan quotes were interesting, since they are the first direct quotes from someone in the building regarding the Lafontaine firing/resignation.

"You know," Nolan said. "It doesn't need to be written, and it doesn't need to be said. For Pat LaFontaine to quit? Never. It's not in his DNA. And as much as I loved Buffalo, Patty loved Buffalo even more. … I know he didn't quit. They know he didn't quit. And they know that I know he didn't quit."

But if I knew posting a Bucky article would rile up the hill dyers, I would've done it years ago :laugh:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
"McDavid McDavid McDavid" is hilarious in its own rights, regardless of the rest of the article. Nolan really took a hit for that, so I can understand the backlash, but given that things like this were destined to eventually come out, Murray had to have known he had to die for our tanking sins if Pegula was ever to have legitimacy in the Ownership circles again.

Nolan going through ancestry to find a Buffalo or Chicago boy to play for Poland is also absolutely hilarious. These are the kinds of things that make Nolan a legend in Buffalo, despite his bedroom happenings.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Gilbert Perreault: 100 Greatest NHL Players - Elusive Skater Centered Sabres Famed "French Connection" Line - Stu Hackel - Special To NHL.com

The answer was an easy one: Gilbert Perreault. The question was posed by Brendan Shanahan, who was playing golf with Bobby Orr. "I didn't want to be a total geek and ask him a million questions," Shanahan said on the Buffalo Sabres 40th anniversary DVD, "but eventually I had to ask him one, and I asked who the toughest guy was for him to play against, or the best player that he ever played against."

What made Perreault, who scored 512 goals and 1,326 points in 1,191 NHL games, such an easy answer and daunting foe for Boston's fabled No. 4? It started with his great skating legs and an inexhaustible array of moves, NBC Sports analyst Pierre McGuire said on the TV series "Greatest Hockey Legends." "He had that bowlegged stride [and] the way he accelerated when he had the puck on his stick," McGuire said. "Most guys slow down, he sped up."

Larry Robinson had a slightly fevered perspective of what it was like trying to stop Perreault in his prime. "I saw this guy coming down the ice and his feet were 15 feet apart and he's pulling all these moves, between the legs of guys and, just probably, one of the most beautiful skaters you'll ever see," he said.

Lindy Ruff saw how Perreault could kill a penalty by just holding onto the puck. "They came to take it from him, he'd beat one guy, they came to take it from him again, he beat another guy, and he went on for 30 seconds just stick-handling and keeping the puck away," Ruff said. "And then when he was done he dumped it in and changed. There's nobody else who could do that."

Dale Hawerchuk watched Perreault toy with his Winnipeg Jets teammates. "He had this jitterbug, sidestep move where a lot of defensemen were caught swimming across the ice trying to get to him, because he'd just drag it forever," Hawerchuk said. "They think they have him, but they can't get to him."

Perreault had a simple explanation for what seemed impossible. "In my day, offensive players did a lot more skating and stick-handling, changing speed, deking two guys and making plays in the offensive zone," Perreault explained to writer Chris McDonell. "I loved the thrill of beating everyone on the ice, deking through the opposition. When I got the puck, I'd dare them to try to get it away from me. It's rare to see that today."

Rest Of The Article - https://www.nhl.com/news/gilbert-perreault-100-greatest-nhl-hockey-players/c-284833152

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@martybiron43 - December of '95. The last season at the Aud. Very lucky to have had the chance to play in that building. Lost 4-3 but still made 30 saves.

After NHL statisticians discovered a bug in their new stat-tracking software, the "Biron rule" restricted jersey numbers to whole numbers between 1 and 99.
(Later limited to numbers between 1 and 98 after the league-wide retirement of number 99 for Wayne Gretzky).
Biron was the only NHL player affected, as only he wore "00" at the time.
(Goaltender John Davidson also wore 00 during his playing career, without rebuke, at various points between 1973 and 1983.)
Upon his return to the NHL three seasons later, Biron switched to number 43, and wore that number until the end of his career.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

@mnwild - Foligno: "My wife & I are pretty excited to be here...I'm excited to see what this arena is like & looking forward to playing here."
@mnwild - Foligno on nickname, Moose, as a child: "I was uncoordinated like a moose at the time, but hopefully I've come into my body a little bit."

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Team Canada has named its roster for the 2017 Sochi Open and the Tournament of Nikolai Puchkov which both take place in August.

The Sochi Open, which will take place from August 6-August 9 in Russia, will mark the first pre-Olympic action for Team Canada as general manager Sean Burke looks to form his roster for the 2018 Pyeongchang Games. Canada will also play in the Tournament of Nikolai Puchkov in St. Petersburg later in August, with a different roster which was also released Tuesday. Both rosters are made up almost entirely of players currently skating in Europe.

"We're going to play these two events in August, hopefully find out a lot of things that we have. But we're going to have to also find out some of the things we don't have," said Burke.
"Any player that's eligible, whether he's playing in North America on an AHL contract or in college, junior, we don't want to leave any stones unturned."

2017 Sochi Hockey Open - Forwards: Justin Azevedo, Gilbert Brulé, Brandon Buck, Kevin Clark, Andrew Ebbett, Bud Holloway, Rob Klinkhammer, Brandon Kozun,
Ben Maxwell, Brandon McMillan, Eric O’Dell, Daniel Paille, Mason Raymond, Max Talbot, Linden Vey.
Defence: Chay Genoway, Geoff Kinrade, Patrick McNeill, Maxim Noreau, Mat Robinson, Jonathan Sigalet, Karl Stollery. Goaltenders: Justin Peters, Kevin Poulin.

2017 Tournament Of Nikolai Puchkov - Forwards: Taylor Beck, Sean Collins, Cory Emmerton, Ryan Garbutt, Andrew Gordon, David McIntyre, Jacob Micflikier,
Trevor Parkes, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Derek Roy, Greg Scott, Paul Szczechura, James Wright.
Defence: Cam Barker, Carlo Colaiacovo, Stefan Elliott, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Kevin Klein, Shawn Lalonde, Craig Schira. Goaltenders: Kevin Poulin, Ben Scrivens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->