How about Siberia for the 2014 Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Den said:
Well, Korea hosted games in 1988. I don't think the same country gets games easily so quickly, but it happened to Canada though.
Atlanta '96 and SLC '02, too.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Den said:
Well, Korea hosted games in 1988. I don't think the same country gets games easily so quickly, but it happened to Canada though.
Innsbruck 1964 and 1976
Berlin and Garmisch Partenkirchen bot in 1936
Calgary 1988 Montreal 1976 (you said that)
Lake Placid 1980 LA 1984 Atlanta 1996 Salt Lake City 2002

All I want to say is that it is not that unusual to host two Olympic Games in a short time. Granted, not as often as in different countries, but it still happens. Maybe due to the fact that if you want to go in the Northamerican timezone you don`t have any choices but Canada or the US. I don`t know if South America could host winter games. I guess they could.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Jazz said:
I hope that whatever country get's it (looking like either South Korea or Austria) that they will take this time and invest more money into thier hockey program in order to make them more competitive from their current Div I status.

Austria has Tomas Vanek to built around
South Korea....I dunno, they are making all these medal-winning short-track speed skaters, why not give them a hockey stick...
I bet they could outskate everybody. :)

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Den said:
But still, on paper Lillehammer is a host city. In Russia, outside of Siberia, there are mountains in the Urals (still too far) and in the South, and that's why they are going with Sochi in the South which is somewhat ridiculous since this is a subtropical city.

Exactly, how stupid is it to limit games geographically because of 3-4 events?

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Den said:
There's no chance the same city get the Games in the span of less then 2 decades

Innsbruck, Austria hosted in 1964 and 1976.

The winter games have never been held in Russia or Sweden, I would love to see them go there. Östersund isn't bidding this time but if Sochi is, I would think they should be number one on the shortlist.

And I'm surprised to see a mistake of that magnitude on TSN's website. Siberia my bottom.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Raimo Sillanpää said:
It's kinda sad to see a hockey final played in front of 7-8 thousand people instead of a far larger crowd.

Wait for 2010 my friend. Vancouver will be rockin during those hockey games ;)

Actually, come to think of it. I think all the events will see much better turnouts of spectators. This year Canada took a medal in 10 different disciplines. Other winter sports besides hockey are also very popular in Canada.

Last edited:

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
sec17 said:

That's because as mentioned previously, Denver pulled out after having been awarded the 1976 games (they pulled out around 1972). The IOC needed to choose a city that already had most of the facilities in place because of the lack of time.

Vic Rattlehead*

NightScout said:
Why would anyone want to have the Olympics in the same city 3 times in a row?
Huh? Edmonton and Calgary are in the same province(Alberta), but Winnipeg is in Manitoba.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Epsilon said:
To the North American media (and a lot of people) there are only two places in Russia: "Moscow" and "Siberia".

I bet they don't even know that siberia is in Russia... It was "S.Korea, Austria, Siberia" not "S.Korea, Austria, Russia"

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
sec17 said:

The winter games have never been held in Russia or Sweden, I would love to see them go there. Östersund isn't bidding this time but if Sochi is, I would think they should be number one on the shortlist.

And I'm surprised to see a mistake of that magnitude on TSN's website. Siberia my bottom.

Actually I saw something on the local news today that some local politicians in Sweden might wanna try a new bid for Östersund/Åre in 2018, following the success Sweden had in these Olympics. So we'll see if that actually comes true or not but personally I wouldn't mind it of course. ;)

VladNYC*

http://www.caucasus.ge/images/Caucasus-map-D.gif

Sochi is pretty far away.

Sochi is in the top left corner on the map and Chechnya is south of the letter A in Russia. Georgia is def at more risk for terrorist attacks then Sochi. Sochi is very very well protected. Alot of very important people have Dachas and such there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad