How about Siberia for the 2014 Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Slitty said:
Siberia isn't a city or a administrative district... it couldn't possibly be running for the Olympics. Either someone on these boards or in the North American media is stupid. The city running is Sochi, a black sea resort, and probably the biggest summetime vacation spot in Russia.

Yeah, saying the Olympics are in Siberia is like saying the Summer olympics will be played in the Sahara, or in the Amazon rain forest.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
China would be a good host for the winter games. Skiiing in the Himalayas would be awesome! Plus, I want to snowboarders ride down Everest (just make the jump to Nepal).

Plus, it'd be good having the olympics in Kenya or Tanzania. They have some mountains and it would help the economy.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
BruinsGirl said:
Do you have any idea how big Siberia is??? :amazed:

There are different climate zones there.

I'm just saying that Siberia is a geographic area, not a city, just like the Sahara and Amazon are goegraphic areas, not cities. Plus, the Sahara and Amazon are both huge goegraphic areas too, not that that has any real bearing on anything.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Pantokrator said:
China would be a good host for the winter games. Skiiing in the Himalayas would be awesome! Plus, I want to snowboarders ride down Everest (just make the jump to Nepal).

I really hope this was intended to be a joke.

High flyin' Habs*

I think Sochi would be too dangerous since its very near the Chechen zone or something...

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
By and large, the Olympics are no longer awarded consecutively to countries on the same continent. It's certainly the case where the Summer Games are concerned, and it's increasingly what happens in the Winter Games. North America has no chance. None.

When possible, they like to alternate between N.A., Europe and Asia, though there isn't always an Asian bidder. Personally, I think that South Korea has an excellent chance if they're serious. It will have been 16 years since Asia has had the Winter Games, 26 years since S.K. will have had a Games at all. Long time for a first-world country, considering they have the financial resources that the IOC likes to see to build the facilities, and that they send strong teams in key Winter Games events.

1998: Asia (Nagano)
2002: N.A. (SLC)
2006: Europe (Turin)
2010: N.A. (Vancouver)
2014: ---

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Drake1588 said:
By and large, the Olympics are no longer awarded consecutively to countries on the same continent. It's certainly the case where the Summer Games are concerned, and it's increasingly what happens in the Winter Games. North America has no chance. None.
the fact that there aren't any North American bids is a bigger detriment.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Hasbro said:
the fact that there aren't any North American bids is a bigger detriment.
heh, indeed it does. This is itself telling, however: It's so ingrained in the IOC process that no N.A. team even made it this far or took a 2014 bid seriously, just four years after the Vancouver Games, since there's no chance. It could go right back to Europe, I suppose, but by and large this only happens when Asia doesn't have a horse in the race.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Drake1588 said:
heh, indeed it does. This is itself telling, however: It's so ingrained in the IOC process that no N.A. team even made it this far or took a 2014 bid seriously, just four years after the Vancouver Games, since there's no chance. It could go right back to Europe, I suppose, but by and large this only happens when Asia doesn't have a horse in the race.
Yep. I have a hunch the 2016 Summer games are going to Paris and failing that somewhere in Europe because the IOC doesn't want to mess with New York, which would make the Winter Games likely for America in 2018.

The biggest factor against South Korea is being antsy about the North. The Balkans situation hurt what was supposed to be a slam dunk bid for Athens in 96.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Me too or Russia...Bettman won't go if games are played in the middle of the night. It's not really condusive unless they're played in North America, but I think he'd go with Europe too. I don't know where Sochi is, but it will be definetaly no way if they're in South Korea or Kazakhstan.

I don't think any of those non-traditional cities for winter olympics will be picked? Spain, Georgia, Bulgaria I'd bet a pretty penny that they all had maybe 40 athletes combined, and South Korea had 40 athletes, but the only ones we ever hear from are speed skaters.

I think they'll wait until 2018 to go back to Asia

Everybody says that S. Korea is the front runner. They already have all the facilities built since they were a candidate city for 2010 WOG. Their downside is that they already hosted OG quite recently in 1988. Austria really messed up its chances with the doping scandal. So it will be either S. Korea or Sochi. I've been to Sochi a couple of times: it's a nice resort between the sea and the mountains with a developed hotel infrustructure but relatively few winter sports facilities yet.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
It's unfortunate for hockey's sake that the Winter Olympics "must" be held in a mountain country.

Those damn alpine skiiers insist on mountains for a winter olympics and this rules out two potentially excellent hosts in Finland and Sweden for example.
They also don't like the idea of a shared games, which is why Turin got these games instead of the Helsinki-Lillehammer bid.

It's kinda sad to see a hockey final played in front of 7-8 thousand people instead of a far larger crowd.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:
The olympics should only be in North America or Europe. No offense to people in Japan or Austrailia but that was ridiculous when we had to deal with those crazy time differences. I remember when the world cup was in Korea and the games started at 2 am... that was messed up.
Plain absurd and ultimately arrogant. There are people in Asia as well, remember? And way more than in Northamerica.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
If South Korea wins the 2014 Winter Games I highly doubt you will see owners allow NHL players to participate. Vancouver will probably be the last time.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Den said:
There's no chance the same city get the Games in the span of less then 2 decades

Lillehammer woudn't have got the games, it'd just have hosted the alpine skiing.

Russia has the same problem if say St Petersburg wanted the games, you need mountains for the alpine skiing..

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Lillehammer woudn't have got the games, it'd just have hosted the alpine skiing.

Russia has the same problem if say St Petersburg wanted the games, you need mountains for the alpine skiing..

But still, on paper Lillehammer is a host city. In Russia, outside of Siberia, there are mountains in the Urals (still too far) and in the South, and that's why they are going with Sochi in the South which is somewhat ridiculous since this is a subtropical city.

Jazz

I hope that whatever country get's it (looking like either South Korea or Austria) that they will take this time and invest more money into thier hockey program in order to make them more competitive from their current Div I status.

Austria has Tomas Vanek to built around
South Korea....I dunno, they are making all these medal-winning short-track speed skaters, why not give them a hockey stick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad