How about GM Lemiuex and Gretzky for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanuthier*

****, enough with the "they were good players, I bet they'd be good managers too!"

If he'd take it, I'd give Scotty Bowman the job (both GM and head coach). Jaques Lemaire (sorry, I-hate-boring-hockey fans) the job, both roles. After that, there's a bunch of coaches that come to mind (Bryan Murray, Larry Robinson, Mike Babcock, or even some older ones if they still have it in them, a Terry Crisp or Dave King).

One thing I definatly want is a guy the players will respect. I'm not sure Pat Quinn got that. Scotty Bowman would be PRIME for that job, if he wasn't 99% retired. Larry Robinson would be great, but he really struggled with the Devils and I have to wonder (aka doubt) he could handle the Olympic pressure.

Phanuthier*

mr gib said:
alright alright - that would totally work - great idea - steve y as assistant coach
I'll give Stevie Y "honarary assistant coach / team motivator" role. But if it comes does to managing hockey, I want guys with experiance, not a duel role of Gretz (who's Pheonix team has a revolving trade door, sorry Yolts fans) and Mario (who's team is fighting for the Kessel/Johnson draft pick).

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Phanuthier said:
I'll give Stevie Y "honarary assistant coach / team motivator" role. But if it comes does to managing hockey, I want guys with experiance, not a duel role of Gretz (who's Pheonix team has a revolving trade door, sorry Yolts fans) and Mario (who's team is fighting for the Kessel/Johnson draft pick).
who then?

Big Mama*

Phanuthier said:
****, enough with the "they were good players, I bet they'd be good managers too!"

If he'd take it, I'd give Scotty Bowman the job (both GM and head coach). Jaques Lemaire (sorry, I-hate-boring-hockey fans) the job, both roles. After that, there's a bunch of coaches that come to mind (Bryan Murray, Larry Robinson, Mike Babcock, or even some older ones if they still have it in them, a Terry Crisp or Dave King).

One thing I definatly want is a guy the players will respect. I'm not sure Pat Quinn got that. Scotty Bowman would be PRIME for that job, if he wasn't 99% retired. Larry Robinson would be great, but he really struggled with the Devils and I have to wonder (aka doubt) he could handle the Olympic pressure.

Bowman lost in 81 with a better team. Why not hire the guy who won gold for Canada in 1998, 2002 and 2004 as coach?

Phanuthier*

mr gib said:
who then?
In my ideal world, Scotty Bowman or Jaqures Lemaire would be head coach (as above). I'd name Mike Babcock, Tom Renny and Ken Hitchcock as assistants. Dave King and/or Terry Crisp as my video guys, Warran Stralow or David Marcoux as goaltending consultants, and just because I actually think it'll help, Stevie Y as honorary team motivator.

I'd keep Gretz and Larry Robinson on as a consultant for the team.

Big Mama*

Phanuthier said:
In my ideal world, Scotty Bowman or Jaqures Lemaire would be head coach (as above). .

What tournaments has Scotty won?

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Phanuthier said:
In my ideal world, Scotty Bowman or Jaqures Lemaire would be head coach (as above). I'd name Mike Babcock, Tom Renny and Ken Hitchcock as assistants. Dave King and/or Terry Crisp as my video guys, Warran Stralow or David Marcoux as goaltending consultants, and just because I actually think it'll help, Stevie Y as honorary team motivator.

I'd keep Gretz and Larry Robinson on as a consultant for the team.
excellent - old men - more defense -

the trapping torpedo - nba on ice

Phanuthier*

Big Mama said:
What tournaments has Scotty won?
I dunno, but one thing the guy can do is handle ego's.

mr gib said:
excellent - old men - more defense -

the trapping torpedo
Like I said, not exactly an HF favourite, but it works.

arrules

Aug 3, 2005
Big Mama said:
Bowman lost in 81 with a better team. Why not hire the guy who won gold for Canada in 1998, 2002 and 2004 as coach?

Canada did not win gold in 1998...

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Phanuthier said:
Mike Babcock is the only legimate candidate in that list.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Well we all know Pat Quinn is "done like dinner" and he should be. Bowman would have the respect and knowledge instantly. Although he last one a tounry in the '76 Canada Cup. He lost the '79 Challenge Cup and the '81 Canada Cup. But has won four Cups since then as well.

Bob Gainey shouldnt be there IMO. He was there with Clarke in '98 and I'd be afraid Gainey woudl pick too much of a defensive team, and its clear we need eilte goal scorers and playmakers on that team, speed wouldnt hurt either.

Lemieux would not be a bad choice. I know nobody is going to unseat Gretzky because who is going to tell him not to come back? I think he should come back only if he smartens up and goes back to his system he had in '02 when he picked the best players for the team. Lemieux though I think would be smart enough to pick a more offensive team.

As for coach, I think it should begin and end with Brent Sutter. Hitchcock and Martin shouldnt be back either. Hitchcock is too defensive, and as for martin, well there is something wrong with the coach if he cant get the Ottawa Senators in the finals not once!

Sutter will have instant credibility. He'll probably coach the '07 WJC team again. Even if he's not in the NHL I think he should still coach the team. he wouldnt have let a sorry sack of players play the way they did. he seems to always get the best out of his players. I dont know anyone else who could have coached Canada to gold in the '06 WJC, not that they werent a good team cause they were, but clearly the US and Russia were better on paper. Sutter can out coach anyone right now I think

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Big Phil said:
Well we all know Pat Quinn is "done like dinner" and he should be. Bowman would have the respect and knowledge instantly. Although he last one a tounry in the '76 Canada Cup. He lost the '79 Challenge Cup and the '81 Canada Cup. But has won four Cups since then as well.

Bob Gainey shouldnt be there IMO. He was there with Clarke in '98 and I'd be afraid Gainey woudl pick too much of a defensive team, and its clear we need eilte goal scorers and playmakers on that team, speed wouldnt hurt either.

Lemieux would not be a bad choice. I know nobody is going to unseat Gretzky because who is going to tell him not to come back? I think he should come back only if he smartens up and goes back to his system he had in '02 when he picked the best players for the team. Lemieux though I think would be smart enough to pick a more offensive team.

As for coach, I think it should begin and end with Brent Sutter. Hitchcock and Martin shouldnt be back either. Hitchcock is too defensive, and as for martin, well there is something wrong with the coach if he cant get the Ottawa Senators in the finals not once!

Sutter will have instant credibility. He'll probably coach the '07 WJC team again. Even if he's not in the NHL I think he should still coach the team. he wouldnt have let a sorry sack of players play the way they did. he seems to always get the best out of his players. I dont know anyone else who could have coached Canada to gold in the '06 WJC, not that they werent a good team cause they were, but clearly the US and Russia were better on paper. Sutter can out coach anyone right now I think
if we don't develope new ideas on - OFFENCE - ie - how to beat the trapping torpedo - the game is gonna take a turn for the worse - nhl and internationally -

we have to look at mario and wayne for these new ideas - cause if they leave this game without putting some strategic stamp on it we'll have to wait many many years till sid the kid or AO retire -
despite the russian game yesterday i think having pavel bure around is a big plus too

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Big Phil said:

I agree with Brent Sutter. But you realize of course, that Martin was the coach handling the defense, not Hitch?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
IMO Jaques Lemaire would be perfect. I think that he's smart enough to work with what he has and wouldn't turn Canada into a trapping team. My darkhorse pick would be JD. The guy knows hockey Canada inside and out. Plus the guy is always well informed about worldly hockey issues.

Phanuthier*

Big Phil said:
Brent Sutter knows how to coach kids, not sure about ego's. Would Ryan Smyth be receptive to getting a hair cut? I think Darryl would be a better choice, but I don't think Canada (fans) would like that.

I Hate You All*

Lemieux for selling smokes, and Gretzky for janitor in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad