Hour of Glory for Alexander Perezhogin

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Traitor8, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traitor8

Traitor8 Registered User

Home Page:
    Mathias Brunet
    La Presse

from Habsrus , traduced by m Beaux-eaux

The performances of young Alexander Perezhogin in Russia must be starting to excite the Canadiens management.

Perezhogin, 21 years old, had his hour of glory last week during the game between the two most powerful RSL clubs, Omsk and Kazan.

It was the sporting event of this autumn in the eyes of many because of the number of impressive NHL stars in uniform for this match. The Omsk, in Siberia, was crammed to the rafters (tickets were sold for up to $85US on the black market, a fortune in Russia) to see Jaromir Jagr defend the honor of Avangard against Vincent Lecavalier, Brad Richards, Alex Kovalev, Nikolai Antropov, Darius Kasparaitis, Nikolai Khabibulin and new defenseman Alexei Zhitnik. Kazan contained so much talent that the coach could leave Ilya Kovalchuk, unproductive and insubordinate, in the stands.

Omsk carried the day 5-4 thanks to a goal and an assist from Perezhogin in the third period. The Canadiens prospect was even chosen first star of the game...ahead of Jagr and Richards!

Perezhogin collected another point in his following game to raise his t
    otal to 12 points in 18 games, an extremely good record in a league where goals are generally scarce.

His exploits were worth the honor of another invitation to the national team in preparation for the Rosno Cup, contested in Moscow next week. Perezhogin will be in the company of Kovalev, Kovalchuk, Pavel Datsyuk, Nikolai Zherdev, Alexander Frolov and Alexander Semin, to name only a few.

Perezhogin had also been a favourite to take part in the Karjala Cup in November, but a concussion had prevented him "He will be one of the youngest players on the national team with Zherdev and Semin", mentions Nikolai Vakourov, the Canadiens scout in Russia.

The selection of this young Russian forward by the Canadiens in 2001 (25th over all) had passed a little unnoticed since Perezhogin was the team's second choice in first the round, behind big defenseman Mike Komisarek who was chosen seventh.

The 25th choice had been acquired in a trade with Washington a few months earlier. André Savard had obtained Richard Zednik, Jan Bulis and this first round choice in return for Trevor Linden, Dainius Zubrus and a second round choice.

Perezhogin had a modest start in the American League last year but, once acclimatized, he was one of the dominant players in the league. He finished fourth among rookie scorers even though he scored only two goals in his first 21 matches. But his season ended abruptly in the playoffs last spring when he was suspended for one year after having delivered a swing of the stick to an opponent who had just dished out the same medicine to him. It was thus suggested to him to play in Russia this year, especially with the spectre of the lockout.

A significant question arises today: if the NHL resumed activities in January, could Perezhogin join the Canadiens? The question remains at the discretion of the NHL, it seems. But technically, nothing would prevent him from playing in the NHL. The Habs prefer to remain silent on this thorny issue, but bet on it that they wouldn't mind counting on him during a resumption of activities.

Barring a major collapse, Alexander Perezhogin will be a member of one of the Habs top two lines in a year or two.

2. Traitor8

Traitor8 Registered User

Home Page:
  3. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    Hour of glory? That seems a bit over-the-top for what amounts to a good game.

4. Meat Wave

Meat Wave * * *

It's not "over-the-top" considering the importance this game had in Russia... especially for a 21 year-old with not much experience under his belt. :dunno:

5. Levitate

Levitate Registered User

yeah that's quite a bit of hype, overexaggeration, bleh

6. Firefly

Firefly Registered User

Jagr not get 1st star? That's unpossible.

7. Levitate

Levitate Registered User

oh yeah, perezogin got the 1st star and not jagr, that must mean he's awesome and so much better than jagr, what an amazing player!

oh wait, jagr is easily averaging over a point per game since joining the defense first league that is the russian superleague...

8. Crosbyfan

Crosbyfan Registered User

Not impossible...but certainly over the top!

9. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Registered User

Home Page:
    :help: who here is claiming that perezhogin is better than Jagr ??!! :clap:

10. craig1

craig1 Registered User

Financial Manager/Scholar
    Home Page:
    Hey Vizzini........Don't you mean "inconceivable" ?

11. Levitate

Levitate Registered User

"unpossible" is a simpsons reference

god bless ralph wiggam

12. waffledave

waffledave waffledave, from hf

Software Developer
    I don't get why people are being so pissy about this. This was probably the most important win of his career to date and he had a great game. I don't see how this is not his hour of glory, and I don't see where anyone said he was a better player than anyone mentioned.

13. Form and Substance

Form and Substance Registered User

Well then why not report YOUR hour of glory, I'm sure we'd all be very interested.

EDIT: I'm sorry, that did not come out right.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  14. waffledave

waffledave waffledave, from hf

Software Developer
    If another prospect wins this big of a game, then of course we should report it. What the hell is the point of a prospect board then?

15. CoupeStanley

CoupeStanley Registered User

Webmestre
    Home Page:
    The more inconceivale in all of that is how can HF let him slip out of the top-50.

Perezhogin is a young really skilled forward who can play both end of the ice very well and that will play the game with passion. He's probably the best prospect the Habs have since Saku.

Anyway, who care, it's not like HF have any kind of a successfull track record.

16. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    Well, Perezhogin didn't singlehandedly win it by any stretch of the imagination.

And the article is incorrect on one point: Zhitnik did not play.

17. ChemiseBleuHonnete

ChemiseBleuHonnete Registered User

I've been reading HF since the 1999, and you're 100% right.

18. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

Apparently you do, as well as all the others who have been whining and overreacting over his abscence for a couple of weeks now.

What would you consider a successful track record, BTW? Who has such a record?
    HF is not doing much better or worse than most other media outlet out there, IMO. Not too many do a top 50. I can think of THN and the years I looked it was also hit or miss.

Perezhogin remains a prospect on the bubble for that top 50. Not significantly better or worse than a good 20-30 names on it.

And also not significantly better or worse than 20 names left off it.

19. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

I visit a little thing called WWW.ARCHIVE.ORG and I agree.

20. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

If you forget any Ron Hainsey hours of glory, I'll personally hunt you down and teach you y'er lesson, alright boy?

21. Kaizer

Kaizer Registered User

Good :) There will be a lot of threads about Malkin, probably, after his every second game ;)

22. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    Malkin has been named 1st star, by my count, 7 times this year. So that'd 7 hours of glory for him.

23. Winston Wolf

Winston Wolf Registered User

Simply stated, because what he did wasn't all that special. A very solid game, but nothing breathtaking.

I think a lot of this is also getting lost in translation. In English we would only use a phrase like this during the event of winning a championship or something really, really significant. In French, (if I remember correctly) phrases like this are used much more liberally than in English. I'm pretty sure my French teacher said something to that effect, although it was many years ago, so correct me if I'm wrong.

24. ChemiseBleuHonnete

ChemiseBleuHonnete Registered User

What the hell are you talking about??? I never said I had zero faith in HF, first of all. Also, I never complained nor discussed about their rankings. Think about it, I've been reading HF for 5 years, or maybe 6?, doesn't that means I enjoy and respect it?

The only thing I've said is that, they weren't right at all with their projections in the past. They've been way off the base, and that's true, just take a look at what they wrote in the past. You will see by your own.

25. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

Keep in mind that the writer is most likely a fan of the Habs.

Not very objective or credible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.