Houle vs Bergevin

Which is the worst GM in the Habs history?

• Total voters

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Houle for sure, but Bergevin is a close second. Its not comparable to the Roy trade, and this is coming from a Roy superfan, but Subban is pretty high up there for horrible trades.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Savard thought that. But even with Roy, they were declining. Remember, months prior they traded Desjardins for Recchi. Granted, Recchi was great for the Habs. The issue was what Desjardins was/became. With Roy, that wasn't a cup contender. Not imo.

Without the Recchi and Roy trades they would be running Damphousse/Turgeon/Leclair/Koivu/Bure so they needed another top six forward. Desjardins/Malakhov/Brisebois was probably good enough but another D wouldn't hurt and a lot were getting moved then for affordable prices.

With the Recchi/Roy trades, they needed a veteran/better goaltender as a platoon which they finally got in Hackett, but they could have went with Ranford in 96. They needed at least one more Top 4, maybe two, but they were pretty set offensively in 95-96. That's likely why Savard thought they were one move away. He saw that move being Roy for Nolan/Fiset, but that's a little too much confidence in Fiset. They didn't need a power forward (not that it would hurt) but someone to replace Desjardins.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Houle traded Patty Roy for a young unproven goalie and 2 young guys. He had offers with proven players that were stars. Nolan, Yzerman, Irbe, Belfour...etc. That was a really bad move...Every team made an offer.

Turgeon was a top C in his prime...For Shayne Corson! Also that move was against the rest of the office's advice.

There are so many bad stories of Houle.

I don't think it's comparible, as they never went on a run with Houle. At least Bergevin has made the playoffs and made good picks
He didn't have a run with the team he has built and good picks is not what I would say we have, plus that is generally the scout. What has Bergie traded for that is a vast improvement on houle or what he even inherited from Goat who was reviled by most.

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
I still say Houle is the worst but Bergevin is getting close.

Houle's greatest hits
Rejean Houle's 15 Worst Moves As Montreal Canadiens GM

Thank you for the link, very interesting. Two things hit me while reading this: 1) I totally forgot about Darcy Tucker playing here (he was drafted by Savard in '93, 6th round) and 2), I always assumed that after being pulled, Roy told Corey that he wanted to be traded, but then I read this : "Now, some people have defended Houle on this one, pointing out that Roy had demanded a trade, so Houle’s hands were tied. But Roy didn’t actually demand a trade. What Roy said was that he would never play for head coach Mario Tremblay again." On the Roy trade alone I was leaning towards giving my vote to Houle, but after reading this I can't wait to click his name. Think about this, he had to choose between a rookie coach (a friend and ex-team mate who ended up coaching 159 games only...) and his concession player who was already one of the best G in NHL history. :facepalm: It does remind me of somebody we know. Nepotism. Does. Not. Work.

Reactions: Pickles

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Who is the ultimate worse GM this team ever had?
Houle by a country mile. First move Houle did was trade Roy in franchise worst trade. Bergevin did have some success here. Won division last year, final 4 in 2014. He did make some good moves, ie. Byron, Waite for Price, etc... Bergevin just can't judge top talent.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
2017-18Tampa Bay LightningNHL7993140
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2017-18Montreal CanadiensNHL77133346
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Bergie tries and fails. Houle did what he was told and cut salary.

Context is everything & why bergevin is by far the worse GM.

At least Houle accomplished part of what he was tasked to do (maybe all he was hired to do?)...
In addition to being told to cut salary...

he was apparently held at gunpoint to make awful trades at the same time.

Don't only cut salary Reggie...make sure you don't get any quality back when trading Hall of Fame caliber players

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
In addition to being told to cut salary...

he was apparently held at gunpoint to make awful trades at the same time.

Don't only cut salary Reggie...make sure you don't get any quality back when trading Hall of Fame caliber players

And yet, Bergevin managed to be worse than him...

Speaks volumes.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
6 years . Petry,Byron,Danault. That's it....6 years. 3 decent additions...

6 years

I'd add radulov but the village idiot blew it

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And yet, Bergevin managed to be worse than him...

Speaks volumes.
You can't justify ANY trade Bergevin has made being worse than the Roy or Turgeon or Damphousse trades.

Not even close.

Bergevin has been bad, he owns that.

But Houle, regardless of how you want to paint a prettier picture for him, goes down as one of the worst GM's in professional sports history.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Without the Recchi and Roy trades they would be running Damphousse/Turgeon/Leclair/Koivu/Bure so they needed another top six forward. Desjardins/Malakhov/Brisebois was probably good enough but another D wouldn't hurt and a lot were getting moved then for affordable prices.

With the Recchi/Roy trades, they needed a veteran/better goaltender as a platoon which they finally got in Hackett, but they could have went with Ranford in 96. They needed at least one more Top 4, maybe two, but they were pretty set offensively in 95-96. That's likely why Savard thought they were one move away. He saw that move being Roy for Nolan/Fiset, but that's a little too much confidence in Fiset. They didn't need a power forward (not that it would hurt) but someone to replace Desjardins.

Are you kidding? They needed a power forward. Getting Nolan would have completely changed that team and make it a contender. Those type of players were pretty rare at a time when PF were needed cause of the clutch and grab.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Are you kidding? They needed a power forward. Getting Nolan would have completely changed that team and make it a contender. Those type of players were pretty rare at a time when PF were needed cause of the clutch and grab.

With Fiset in net? They weren't going anywhere. Do you remember him being the starter for the Kings in the mid-late 90s? Don't front.

If you're trading Roy, yes you try to get a powerforward for him, but you also try to get a competent goaltender. Houle attempted that actually. He tried to get a top six forward (Rucinsky), power forward (Kovalenko), and new goalie of the present/future (Thibault). It was 2/3 poorly scouted, but the mindset was there. Quebec/Colorado wasn't giving up a D as they needed one and gave up Nolan for Ozolinsh.

After trading away Desjardins, Houle should have been trying to get a top 4 D, power forward, and goalie.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
With Fiset in net? They weren't going anywhere. Do you remember him being the starter for the Kings in the mid-late 90s? Don't front.

If you're trading Roy, yes you try to get a powerforward for him, but you also try to get a competent goaltender. Houle attempted that actually. He tried to get a top six forward (Rucinsky), power forward (Kovalenko), and new goalie of the present/future (Thibault). It was 2/3 poorly scouted, but the mindset was there. Quebec/Colorado wasn't giving up a D as they needed one and gave up Nolan for Ozolinsh.

After trading away Desjardins, Houle should have been trying to get a top 4 D, power forward, and goalie.
Thanks for reminding me that Pierre Lacroix gave up more for ozolinsh than he did for Roy.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
You can't justify ANY trade Bergevin has made being worse than the Roy or Turgeon or Damphousse trades.

Not even close.

Bergevin has been bad, he owns that.

But Houle, regardless of how you want to paint a prettier picture for him, goes down as one of the worst GM's in professional sports history.

You wouldn't view the Subban trade being worse than Turgeon or Damphousse deals?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

But at that point in time Fiset was seen as a competent goalie. And you can always get another one later.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You wouldn't view the Subban trade being worse than Turgeon or Damphousse deals?
No...not even close.

I don't think either the Turgeon or Damphousse trade brought back a player Weber's caliber (even though, I prefer Subban).

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Letting Markov and radulov go for f all, is for me as similar as Damphousse/Turgeon. Same type of caliber player.

Difference between MB and Houle is that MB did it on purpose. He sucks. Houle was stuck in a really bad situation with a cheap ass owner. MB has all the leverage and money possible.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Probably Houle but Houle just didnt know what he was doing, MB doesnt know what he is doing but he is an A -Hole

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
No...not even close.

I don't think either the Turgeon or Damphousse trade brought back a player Weber's caliber (even though, I prefer Subban).

Maybe we're measuring trades differently?

Damphousse was an impending UFA, no? And toward the end of his career.

Pure hockey trade in a vacuum, sure. Impact on franchise, I can't see the argument for the Subban deal not being far more egregious

Reactions: Amerika

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Letting Markov and radulov go for f all, is for me as similar as Damphousse/Turgeon. Same type of caliber player.

Difference between MB and Houle is that MB did it on purpose. He sucks. Houle was stuck in a really bad situation with a cheap ass owner. MB has all the leverage and money possible.
Not even close. 1 year of Markov is not worth Damphousse or Turgeon.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
The fact he's still here and going on 7 seasons and 8 years makes this reign worse. It's a never-ending nightmare.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
No...not even close.

Neither trade surrendered a player of Subban's caliber though. Damphousse was also a pending UFA. Hard to argue that was a bad trade at all.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Maybe we're measuring trades differently?

Damphousse was an impending UFA, no? And toward the end of his career.

Pure hockey trade in a vacuum, sure. Impact on franchise, I can't see the argument for the Subban deal not being far more egregious
I'm just measuring the trade by what went out and what came back.

Habs traded Vincent Damphousse not because he was a pending UFA...but because they didn't want to re-sign him.

Vincent Damphousse ended up being traded for the following;

1999 5th round pick (M-A Thinel)
2000 1st round pick (Marcel Hossa)
2000 or 2001 2nd pick (Kiel McLeod)

Impact on franchise?

I guess that depends on how one defines "impact".

I can't compare a trade where a HOF-caliber player gets traded and the best you get back is Marcel Hossa.

PK Subban may be a HOF caliber player one day but there's as much chance Shea Weber will be too.

Ultimately, that's how I measure this trade.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Neither trade surrendered a player of Subban's caliber though. Damphousse was also a pending UFA. Hard to argue that was a bad trade at all.
Pierre Turgeon was still a very productive #1C when he was traded.

He was coming off a 96pt season (a total that remains the highest point totals by a Hab since Mats Naslund had over 100pts in the 80's).

He proceeded to have several more productive years for the Blues

So I'm not sure I agree with that at all...

Damphousse wasn't what he was when the Habs traded him, but he still played another 5yrs and put up more points than Marcel Hossa, Marc-Andre Thinel ever did.

Subban for Weber remains Bergevin's worse move, I won't deny that...

But it pails in comparison to the Roy/Turgeon/Damphousse trades.

The Habs would of been lucky to make off with a player of Weber's caliber in any of those trades.

With the season the Habs just had and with Subban getting a Norris nomination, it's easy to forget that Shea Weber is STILL a very, very good Dman in the NHL today.

The Habs did not get back any "very, very good" players in any of those trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad