Houle vs Bergevin

Which is the worst GM in the Habs history?

• Total voters

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I would have loved to get a good goalie somehow , but knowing Houle, and his brutal track record, Ranford would've cost more than the scraps we got for Roy.

I always maintained that, should Roy demand to be traded, you should have sent him to Hartford for their next 3-4 1st round draft picks and Sean Burke to fill the goalie position for a year or two.

For whatever reason they only negotiated with Colorado even though it took a few days.

Usually when a trade is way under value that's why. Boston only negotiated with San Jose for Thornton and Dallas for Seguin. It shows.

Reactions: hotcarle

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Man, tough one. I chose Houle based on the Roy trade but I can’t recall any good moves he’s made.

Bergy has at least done some good moves when talking about the lessor trades.

Should had been an option for “Both”, but I guess that’d be too easy.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
For whatever reason they only negotiated with Colorado even though it took a few days.

Usually when a trade is way under value that's why. Boston only negotiated with San Jose for Thornton and Dallas for Seguin. It shows.
This is a fantastic negotiating technique . Glad we have these kinds of brilliant minds in charge.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
It was a business owning a business and nothing was done in the "best interest of the team" nor intelligently for that matter.
Exactly. Someone who knew what he was doing could have cut cost and built a wealth of youth at the same time. So its all on Houle anyway you look at it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The thing that MB will be remembered for is squandering a good young core. To me that's inexcusable. At least with Houle we'd already won some cups and the team was on it's way down anyway. But to f*** up what MB inherited is unforgiveable as far as I'm concerened.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
Bergie isn't done yet, and we went from contender to pretender in just 2 seasons. Says a lot doesn't it. Remember his first season he did almost nothing outside of prust, cube and murray. Do those look like the talent we needed to make the next step. I don't think so.

Houle traded Patty Roy for a young unproven goalie and 2 young guys. He had offers with proven players that were stars. Nolan, Yzerman, Irbe, Belfour...etc. That was a really bad move...Every team made an offer.

Turgeon was a top C in his prime...For Shayne Corson! Also that move was against the rest of the office's advice.

There are so many bad stories of Houle.

I don't think it's comparible, as they never went on a run with Houle. At least Bergevin has made the playoffs and made good picks

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Houle traded Patty Roy for a young unproven goalie and 2 young guys. He had offers with proven players that were stars. Nolan, Yzerman, Irbe, Belfour...etc. That was a really bad move...Every team made an offer.

No he didn't. He might have if he tried but Scotty Bowman a few years back talked about how the Red Wings had no idea he was on the market and every team was shocked when Roy was traded because nobody got a call. Bowman said they would have made a huge offer if they knew he was available because at the time they weren't sure Vernon/Osgood was good enough.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
No he didn't. He might have if he tried but Scotty Bowman a few years back talked about how the Red Wings had no idea he was on the market and every team was shocked when Roy was traded because nobody got a call. Bowman said they would have made a huge offer if they knew he was available because at the time they weren't sure Vernon/Osgood was good enough.

It's hard to believe that the team that beat the Montreal Canadiens did not know that Patrick Roy was available. Bowman was the coach of the Wings, the very game that Roy whispered his trade demand. There was 4 days between that time.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
cringing at all of these Réjean Houle sympathizers starting off their posts with 'At least Houle..."

Come on man, you guys aren't fooling anyone lol

Pride is preventing you from answering this poll question honestly.

This poll should be 100% full of Houle votes.

Ahh well..I suppose it's not my place to tell others who to vote for

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd have voted for Houle if I believed for one second that Houle was the one making decisions but I know that this was not the case. Ron Corey was pulling all the strings so he is the one we should be comparing with Bergevin. Houle's name doesn't even need to be mentioned. He was merely Corey's proxy.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'd have voted for Houle if I believed for one second that Houle was the one making decisions but I know that this was not the case. Ron Corey was pulling all the strings so he is the one we should be comparing with Bergevin. Houle's name doesn't even need to be mentioned. He was merely Corey's proxy.
Assume Rejean Houle's name is Ronald Corey's then...it shouldn't change how you vote.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I voted Houle, but Bergevin is trending dangerously close to Houle territory. I suspect that a lot of the Bergevin votes are a combination of recency bias and posters nit having been around first-hand to experience the Houle era.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Houle took a once sparkling Ferrari that was now beat up and rusty, and drove it off a cliff. Bergevin took a shiny sparkling Ferrari and drove it off a cliff.
Savard said he thought the Habs were 1 move away from being a major cup contender, so no, it was not a rusty Ferrari Houle drove off a cliff.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Savard said he thought the Habs were 1 move away from being a major cup contender, so no, it was not a rusty Ferrari Houle drove off a cliff.

Savard thought that. But even with Roy, they were declining. Remember, months prior they traded Desjardins for Recchi. Granted, Recchi was great for the Habs. The issue was what Desjardins was/became. With Roy, that wasn't a cup contender. Not imo.

Last edited:

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Savaged thought that. But even with Roy, they were declining. Remember, months prior they traded Desjardins for Recchi. Granted, Recchi was great for the Habs. The issue was what Desjardins was/became. With Roy, that wasn't a cup contender. Not imo.
That's why he was preparing to trade Roy for Fiset and Nolan. But my point was mostly that the team was still packed and was far from a rusty image.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
This is a sensitive subject for me...the habs had the following when Houle came in, and shows the value of a good GM..

Up front: Turgeon, Damphousse, Recchi all 70pts plus..

Young guns: koivu. Bure, Savage, Stevenson, Petrov, Rivet, Brunet, Wylkie

Top 4 D with Malakhov. Quintal, Brisebois and Odelein..

They were way better when Houle was starting. He killed the team for years...

Even after he left they brought Andre Savard to replenish the youth.

Houle sucked

He made a lot of dumb moves for no reason...ie Turgeon and Odelein

Bergevin at least tried to address needs..we needed scoring we grabbed Drouin

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
At least, Houle didn't think he was the second coming of god.....Houle was worst. Houle didn't ask for it though. Houle kinda knew his limitations real fast. Bergevin thinks he is just great.

Houle was bad. Bergevin is dangerous.

That's why I voted Bergevin. A GM's job is not just about the hockey operations. Quite simply, Bergevin's attitude puts him over Houle.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This is a sensitive subject for me...the habs had the following when Houle came in, and shows the value of a good GM..

Up front: Turgeon, Damphousse, Recchi all 70pts plus..

Young guns: koivu. Bure, Savage, Stevenson, Petrov, Rivet, Brunet, Wylkie

Top 4 D with Malakhov. Quintal, Brisebois and Odelein..

They were way better when Houle was starting. He killed the team for years...

Even after he left they brought Andre Savard to replenish the youth.

Houle sucked

He made a lot of dumb moves for no reason...ie Turgeon and Odelein

Bergevin at least tried to address needs..we needed scoring we grabbed Drouin
2017-18Tampa Bay LightningNHL7993140
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2017-18Montreal CanadiensNHL77133346
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Bergie tries and fails. Houle did what he was told and cut salary.

Context is everything & why bergevin is by far the worse GM.

At least Houle accomplished part of what he was tasked to do (maybe all he was hired to do?)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->