Houle vs Bergevin

Which is the worst GM in the Habs history?

• Total voters

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And no one is arguing against that.

You just can't evaluate a sock puppet who was set up to fail the same way you would evaluate any other GM. You're judging history (ie: the era of both GM.) here, and you can't do that without context.
Then why is there a thread about it?

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Houle was responsible for most of his trades. If the coach requested it, Houle is responsible.

But the worst trade, Le Trade, Roy admitted in his book he knew it wasn't up to Houle. That's a bit different.

(I also have to correct myself. The only other thing we know Bergevin didn't choose to do was draft Galchenyuk. He wanted Morgan Reilly. It's why he still brings him up as an example of a defenceman Montreal doesn't have. Pretty much everything else aside from the Subban extension and that is Bergevin.)

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Roy vs Tremblay case could have been managed a lot better. That is on Houle.
No it isn't. That whole show was mismanaged by Corey. Houle was just the guy who signed the papers and stood in front of the cameras, just like Corey ordered him to. Reggie Houle didn't make any deals or have the final word on any front office decision during his tenure as GM. The guy who hired him knew darned well that he wasn't qualified to be anything but a meat puppet, which is what he used him for. It wouldn't shock me if Houle had to ask Corey for permission to use the toilet.

Reggie was like Lee Harvey Oswald: he was "just a patsy". A useful idiot.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Houle was responsible for most of his trades. If the coach requested it, Houle is responsible.

But the worst trade, Le Trade, Roy admitted in his book he knew it wasn't up to Houle. That's a bit different.

(I also have to correct myself. The only other thing we know Bergevin didn't choose to do was draft Galchenyuk. He wanted Morgan Reilly. It's why he still brings him up as an example of a defenceman Montreal doesn't have. Pretty much everything else aside from the Subban extension and that is Bergevin.)

It wasn't the coach requesting it, it was the owner telling him to cut costs.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Houle and that's not really close at all.

He's in my top 3 with Mike Milbury and John Ferguson Jr for the worst GM I've witnessed in my 25+ years of watching hockey.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Vote for Houle. Mandated payroll cutting aside, he horribly bungled virtually every trade he made. Turned a recent Stanley cup winning roster into a bottom feeder in 3 years.

Bergevin is in the same bathroom though. Close enough to smell Houle's pre-bowel movement farts. Could easily end up in the same cubicle before the next season is out.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Brashear, Tucker, and I think Val Bure were all coach requests.

At first glance I read Val Venis and I was all

3589ee4d095f254b888b5cb588d17bf1e5ca78bc_00.gif

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
The past is the past. Bergevin is the current GM so he is responsible for the current team, Houle is old news.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I totally forgot the Bellows for Bureau move. What's the story being this? i really can't recall. Usually a good vet like Bellows will return more than Bureau at the deadline even if he is UFA. Yes he did not have many years left in the tank (think he was 32-33 when we traded him?) but when we traded him he was still definitely a serviceable vet for a team looking to win a cup now. He should have returned as much as Plekanec easily. Marc Bureau was a nothing player. An undrafted 4th line scrub who was barely younger than Bellows when the traded was made if i recall correctly.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
I totally forgot the Bellows for Bureau move. What's the story being this? i really can't recall. Usually a good vet like Bellows will return more than Bureau at the deadline even if he is UFA. Yes he did not have many years left in the tank (think he was 32-33 when we traded him?) but when we traded him he was still definitely a serviceable vet for a team looking to win a cup now. He should have returned as much as Plekanec easily. Marc Bureau was a nothing player. An undrafted 4th line scrub who was barely younger than Bellows when the traded was made if i recall correctly.

The Canadiens went on a completely self-destruction mode after the 1993 Stanley Cup.

In the 1995-96 playoffs, the Habs played the Rangers in the first round. The Habs won the Cup 3 years before that, and the Rangers 2. So you had 2 recent cup winners facing off in the first round.

While the Rangers still had their basic core intact, the Habs had four players left from the 1993 Cup. Just think about it. You win the friggin' Stanley Cup, and just 3 years later there's four players left from that Cup winning team. Damphousse, Brunet, Brisebois and Odelein. Everyone else was gone.

The team was completely disbanded. Savard started it, then Houle continued.

I mean just think of the Guy Carbonneau trade. I mean wtf.

Being a fan during those years was pretty traumatic.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
are you also including the other elements of this deal?
Considering Corson was making 1.1M, I didn't think I had to as Baron isn't going to make 1.9M. So no matter what, Habs pay less.
But seeing how you asked, Baron was making 750K. Conroy 250K. No info on Fitz but I assume couple hundred thousands too.
So Habs save about 50%.

Reactions: 417

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
Houle is really hard to beat but I'm starting to believe that Bergevin might have a chance at catching up. If he gets to finish his contract then I'm pretty sure he'll pass him.

Let's just wait and see what he trades this summer and what for, and what he signs to make up for it.

I'm starting to be scared that he might think of trading Galchenyuk. I'm also scared that we'll get screwed on a Pacioretty trade and I'm scared Marc will chase Price out of Montreal.

Seeing that picture of Roy sitting on the bench with a pissed off face kind of reminded me of the looks Price has been giving reporters

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
Houle only got to destroy the club for 4 seasons.

Bergy is now 6 seasons in going on his 7th...

The damage he is going to do! OUCH!

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Carbo trade was awful. Carbo was still one of the best 3rd line center when the trade was made. He was old but still delivering. Jim Montgomery was an undrafted AHLer for life in his mid 20ies ... It would be like trading Eller for Chris Terry ...

Reactions: ItzaGreat

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Houle is really hard to beat but I'm starting to believe that Bergevin might have a chance at catching up. If he gets to finish his contract then I'm pretty sure he'll pass him.

Let's just wait and see what he trades this summer and what for, and what he signs to make up for it.

I'm starting to be scared that he might think of trading Galchenyuk. I'm also scared that we'll get screwed on a Pacioretty trade and I'm scared Marc will chase Price out of Montreal.

Seeing that picture of Roy sitting on the bench with a pissed off face kind of reminded me of the looks Price has been giving reporters

The players know when their GM is not doing a good job. It must be very frustrating cause you can't do anything about it as a player. You can't even speak your mind about it outside of your very close relatives.

Reactions: Habsddicted

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
No it isn't. That whole show was mismanaged by Corey. Houle was just the guy who signed the papers and stood in front of the cameras, just like Corey ordered him to. Reggie Houle didn't make any deals or have the final word on any front office decision during his tenure as GM. The guy who hired him knew darned well that he wasn't qualified to be anything but a meat puppet, which is what he used him for. It wouldn't shock me if Houle had to ask Corey for permission to use the toilet.

Reggie was like Lee Harvey Oswald: he was "just a patsy". A useful idiot.

It should not have come to this Tremblay-Roy fight, though. That was down to Houle making this thing boil over. I garantee you that had Savard been there, he would have calmed things down and it would never have happened. Corey got into it AFTER the incident happened.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Turgeon was traded because he was being put on the wing due to the emergence of Koivu. Turgeon wanted to play center and felt disrespected since he was one of the most productive centers in the 90's and he was the team's captain. He essentially gave them an ultimatum and similarly to the Roy deal, Houle likely took the first offer that was given to him and dealt him within days. Recchi was traded due to salary. The Habs didn't think they could afford to re-sign him. As for Damphousse, they thought he was on a steep decline and wasn't prepared to offer him what he wanted. They traded him away and then proceeded to give a similar contract to Trevor Linden whose rights they acquired (a month before the 1999 UFA period in which Linden would have become an UFA) by giving up a 1st round pick btw :ha:. Turned out Linden was way worse than Damphousse as the latter had some really good years with SJ and Linden couldn't crack 35 points with the Habs. Houle was the worse I've ever seen.

For what it's worth recently Turgeon gave an interview saying he was pretty pissed when the Habs traded him.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
The Canadiens went on a completely self-destruction mode after the 1993 Stanley Cup.

In the 1995-96 playoffs, the Habs played the Rangers in the first round. The Habs won the Cup 3 years before that, and the Rangers 2. So you had 2 recent cup winners facing off in the first round.

While the Rangers still had their basic core intact, the Habs had four players left from the 1993 Cup. Just think about it. You win the friggin' Stanley Cup, and just 3 years later there's four players left from that Cup winning team. Damphousse, Brunet, Brisebois and Odelein. Everyone else was gone.

The team was completely disbanded. Savard started it, then Houle continued.

Being a fan during those years was pretty traumatic.
Look at whats left of our team from 3 years ago. Built so badly we have to hope to tank for a minimum of two seasons and pray(laughably) that Tavares and other FA sign with us.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Considering Corson was making 1.1M, I didn't think I had to as Baron isn't going to make 1.9M. So no matter what, Habs pay less.
But seeing how you asked, Baron was making 750K. Conroy 250K. No info on Fitz but I assume couple hundred thousands too.
So Habs save about 50%.
I also didn't think I'd need to be discussing how horrible a trade it was...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad